Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Same gender relationships clarifications?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Same gender relationships clarifications?
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Raynezazki's Avatar


Raynezazki
11.29.2012 , 04:21 PM | #3381
Quote: Originally Posted by stuffystuffs View Post
Probably more flirts/one night stands for heterosexual male PCs b/c the game is sorely lacking in that area.
XD
This made my day thank you lol

fabiyun's Avatar


fabiyun
11.29.2012 , 04:25 PM | #3382
Yea, that was the LiveStream.

Some thoughts. Makeb is coming, but is still in the works. They're rather unclear about it, but I guess we can say that it's either the last patch of this year or the first next year. I think what's also become apparent is that Makeb won't be having any class story content. I also see no indication that Makeb will include new companions.

They're going to introduce some new game mechanics that could be seen as mini games or at least something new to do.

The Cathar are pretty sure to come this year. They'll be on the Cartel Market, and if it does well sales wise there'll be other races on the horizon.

Guild Summit lists are on the back burner. Not even on the list at this point. That should start a good flame about chat bubbles.

Holiday events. I expected news on that front. Holiday Cartel Items. And I do expect to hear about other events soon.

And then there were my questions. They've clearly read them well, they even went to wonder what's in my underpants (a great compliment, the attempt at not gendering me went well till it hit my bottoms). They chose to ignore them for the most part and took the opportunity to say something about F2P doing well. That is great news nonetheless. I can't say I didn't start that post without some politics. I hoped they'd pick up on the opportunity to say F2P is doing well, and then at least take notice of the rest, with of course the hope for an answer. But alas, the hope was in vane. They didn't answer it. Yet, they've done their piece of coming across as assuring. I do however think that SGRs are not going to happen anytime soon, definitely not this year, and I don't even expect it next year.

I'm not sure what to do with SWTOR. A good media explosion would make it a priority, but would we be happy with the results of a quick change or addition. I'm also really displeased with the silencing of this issue. Pretty much every thing on these forums gets addressed. But not SGRs, they're ignored, completely. And we're put in a box. I don't feel good about that. And I don't feel good reading and posting on these forums (hence my long disappearance and lurking since the closure of the old forums). It's disheartening.
"..the worst kind of DARTH one can dig up!"

Slaign's Avatar


Slaign
11.29.2012 , 04:30 PM | #3383
Quote:
Q: How is the 6-8 week timeframe for new content going? Hickman: It's difficult, but it's going well. We'll probably have a 9 week period between the next update and the one after that just so our team can enjoy the holidays a bit. They were all in the office last year during the holidays for the launch, so we want to give them some time off this year. But after that, we should be going back to the 6-8 week turnaround time.
Estimated 9 weeks between the release of 1.6 and the next update puts us around February for when to expect it going live. That means we might see the next update on the PTR mid to late January. I wouldn't expect any new information until then at minimum.

chuixupu's Avatar


chuixupu
11.29.2012 , 04:41 PM | #3384
Quote: Originally Posted by Slaign View Post
Emphasis mine. Looks like Makeb won't be true class stories, but rather a global storyline. Not sure what that indicates, if anything, about SGRAs. I'm wondering if Makeb might be closer to the scale of Section X than the true story expansion we've been hoping for.
It was already said by Daniel Erickson back in July that Makeb would not contain class stories. But he also said it was going to be a very significant chunk of story. Nothing I've read indicates it's going to be as simple as seciton X. You can also take the mysterious comments about SGR's possibly being in Makeb to be a good indication even if that turns out to not be true, I don't think a developer would even THINK something that major would be in the patch if it was just a daily area.

However it does seem to me that they are in fact working on a major content expansion that Isn't Makeb, and that's reassuring.
Wardens of Fate / Alea Iacta Est
The Tarkus Legacy ~ The Harbinger/Jedi Covenant

Slaign's Avatar


Slaign
11.29.2012 , 04:42 PM | #3385
Quote: Originally Posted by fabiyun View Post
Yea, that was the LiveStream.

Some thoughts. Makeb is coming, but is still in the works. They're rather unclear about it, but I guess we can say that it's either the last patch of this year or the first next year. I think what's also become apparent is that Makeb won't be having any class story content. I also see no indication that Makeb will include new companions.

They're going to introduce some new game mechanics that could be seen as mini games or at least something new to do.

The Cathar are pretty sure to come this year. They'll be on the Cartel Market, and if it does well sales wise there'll be other races on the horizon.

Guild Summit lists are on the back burner. Not even on the list at this point. That should start a good flame about chat bubbles.

Holiday events. I expected news on that front. Holiday Cartel Items. And I do expect to hear about other events soon.

And then there were my questions. They've clearly read them well, they even went to wonder what's in my underpants (a great compliment, the attempt at not gendering me went well till it hit my bottoms). They chose to ignore them for the most part and took the opportunity to say something about F2P doing well. That is great news nonetheless. I can't say I didn't start that post without some politics. I hoped they'd pick up on the opportunity to say F2P is doing well, and then at least take notice of the rest, with of course the hope for an answer. But alas, the hope was in vane. They didn't answer it. Yet, they've done their piece of coming across as assuring. I do however think that SGRs are not going to happen anytime soon, definitely not this year, and I don't even expect it next year.

I'm not sure what to do with SWTOR. A good media explosion would make it a priority, but would we be happy with the results of a quick change or addition. I'm also really displeased with the silencing of this issue. Pretty much every thing on these forums gets addressed. But not SGRs, they're ignored, completely. And we're put in a box. I don't feel good about that. And I don't feel good reading and posting on these forums (hence my long disappearance and lurking since the closure of the old forums). It's disheartening.
I didn't see the live stream, I read the transcript on Darth Hater, but from what I can see that's a pretty accurate summation, but I think I saw a couple things differently.

I don't expect Cathar this year, for example, because of this quote:

Quote:
Schubert: The timeframe for Cathar is in months, not years.
The timeframe to make it this year would have to be weeks. Months puts it more likely around the next update which they said will be around 9 weeks after 1.6

I was happy they at least read your question. When I saw that, I had hoped that they were going to address all of it, unfortunately they did not.

I think I agree with you on the pessimism towards SGRAs being a part of Makeb. The more I hear about it, the smaller it sounds. Don't get me wrong, I'm excited to see a new planet, but the way they talk about it makes it sound as if it doesn't have individual class stories.

Still, it's possible that SGRAs aren't a part of Makeb, but are planned as part of the Makeb patch. I hope so.

Guess it's back to waiting to see.

Baptes's Avatar


Baptes
11.29.2012 , 04:46 PM | #3386
Quote:
"Good god, the gays! Quick! Get the grey paint and the vacuums! There's glitter everywhere! Oh no here comes the fabulous steamroller!"
You know before I clicked the link, the very first image that came to mind...

Wonka Mobile

I love that movie. When I heard they were planning a remake, I prayed that they would get Henry Rollins to play Willy Wonka.

Alas, Johnny Depp.

Nozybidaj's Avatar


Nozybidaj
11.29.2012 , 05:49 PM | #3387
Assuming for the moment I'm wrong and SGRA's are in fact on a to-do list somewhere looks like you are looking at best at months more of waiting if not longer. This would actually be a pretty hilarious scene of ineptitude of it wasn't wrapped up in a blanket of discrimination and exclusion.

rahadnak's Avatar


rahadnak
11.29.2012 , 06:10 PM | #3388
I really don't know what to think. i'm getting tired of waiting and i'm beginning to see no point on keeping my subscription. If SGRs don't come with Makeb, i'm afraid i will unsub untill they're added. I think we've been patient enough, and more than polite and understanding about the absence of something that should have been part of the game since launch.

fabiyun's Avatar


fabiyun
11.29.2012 , 06:19 PM | #3389
Quote: Originally Posted by chuixupu View Post
It was already said by Daniel Erickson back in July that Makeb would not contain class stories. But he also said it was going to be a very significant chunk of story. Nothing I've read indicates it's going to be as simple as seciton X. You can also take the mysterious comments about SGR's possibly being in Makeb to be a good indication even if that turns out to not be true, I don't think a developer would even THINK something that major would be in the patch if it was just a daily area.

However it does seem to me that they are in fact working on a major content expansion that Isn't Makeb, and that's reassuring.
Considering that so far we got FPs, Warzones, Operations and other dailies. A planet with real quests is major story content in comparison. So yes, it's more than a daily area. But I don't expect it to be much more than half a planet, and one with no class story but instead faction story.

Quote: Originally Posted by Slaign View Post
I didn't see the live stream, I read the transcript on Darth Hater, but from what I can see that's a pretty accurate summation, but I think I saw a couple things differently.

I don't expect Cathar this year, for example, because of this quote:

Quote:
Schubert: The timeframe for Cathar is in months, not years.
The timeframe to make it this year would have to be weeks. Months puts it more likely around the next update which they said will be around 9 weeks after 1.6
There's a bunch of homophones in there. I didn't read the transcription. I heard "in a month's, *mubles something* year. As soon as feasible."
I guess I didn't hear that right. But I do think they have this ready. The way they were both trying to keep each other in check was interesting. It looked like they were talking about pretty much if not done content, that they simple preferred not to speak of yet.

Quote: Originally Posted by Nozybidaj View Post
Assuming for the moment I'm wrong and SGRA's are in fact on a to-do list somewhere looks like you are looking at best at months more of waiting if not longer. This would actually be a pretty hilarious scene of ineptitude of it wasn't wrapped up in a blanket of discrimination and exclusion.
Agreed. It's become silly. They're clearly so uncomfortable to even talk about this issue. As if speaking about it would get them the gay [disease]. And then during that LiveStream were some awkward moments. There was something on that tablet a couple of times that put the interviewer off. It just makes one wonder.
Of course, I do take this seriously. It's just plain insulting. And they've brought it all upon themselves. Someone made a decision somewhere to be exclusive, I honestly don't think that nobody in that BW office ever thought of SGRs and developing them. And that puts all of us in a strange place. We didn't get the content that we talked about since the start on that old forum, we hardly got a peep out of BW, and now they isolate us for their mistakes, and I still have not heard any kind of apology or time frame for this big mess. Silence. That's all there is.

It's a strange thing. BW treats us differently. Then of course on public interwebs forums people tend to misbehave. They then isolate us, "to protect us", because they messed up. And as a result we're marginalised further. It's all a big nasty BW Austin mess. It's a double penalty we receive for their mistake. That's sour.
"..the worst kind of DARTH one can dig up!"

natashina's Avatar


natashina
11.29.2012 , 06:53 PM | #3390
I'm not trying to stir any thing up here, but I wanted to ask some of the newer posters this.

How would you guys go about trying to get information?

And please don't say, "Sit back and be patient." I think a lot of us are getting sore backs from doing just that.

There has been statements that we aren't communicating correctly and we need to be polite and firm. Since my post on the subject was wiped (I had responded to a wiped post,) I'm rewording some and trying this again.

We've tried that. For months, we wrote anyone that would be in a position we thought could talk to the customers. Countless PMs, "Ask the Devs" and other Q&A sessions, (where we frequently have ~33% of posters of those threads asking about SGRs for months,) Emails, the petition on All Out, Facebook messages and even Twitter and snail mail were sent politely asking for small bits of information.

For example, most of Uluain's PMs and emails were very polite (at times curt, but never rude,) extremely firm and well written. If anyone has the time/patience to read back through this incarnation of the SGR thread, I would encourage them to do so.

It'll show what we had been doing and why some of us have given up asking.

As a whole, many of the posters here wanted to know if they should keep leveling their characters or stop. That's one of the biggies and makes a huge difference in such a story based game. Companions such as Kira play a very integral role in the story and certain parts of it really are impacted by the romance options.

Now when Daniel Erickson left, I decided that we needed to know officially if what was said at the Guild Summit is true.

I can honestly say that most of us (if not all of us,) got a fire under our butt. We realized that they only people that had actually come out and officially said anything have all left the company.

At that point, from my end, I just wanted to have a developer or other representative of the company to come out publicly and say, "Yes, the statements from the Guild Summit are still official and confirmed. SGRs are on the way, so hang tight!"

Then came the whole PvP dev video and the deleted Tweet, which has been talked about at length here. There was also the article we had to write in and correct from gameindustrybiz.com. It was allowed to go to print (so to speak,) with a very clear picture of ToR.

The caption read, "Same Gender Romances are a staple of BioWare's games, such as Star Wars: The Old Republic."

After literally months of being polite, civil and respectful, this was a real slap in the face. Uluain, Tatile, myself and others quickly wrote to the editor letting them know that the caption was untrue. They did quickly get that changed. We also told them that there hasn't been a word from any current representative officially from the company.

Someone in BW-Austin's management made this call to handle the whole matter this way.

Many of the old regular posters start to feel burned out and quit posting or leave the game entirely. Some left the game, came back, but only come in here to peek. Nothing has changed really since late spring.

We've really tried adhering to all the proper ways to contact someone as an upset (but not belligerent) customer. I know that I have felt like I've been screaming into the wind for months. Over time some posters become bitter, angry, and fed up. Being polite has gotten this thread nowhere at this point in time.

I feel like I have said pretty much all I can say without completely losing my temper for now. That isn't towards any posters, even the ones that I know hate me. I'd just rather not blow sky high on the forums and wait for a ban. Sadly, I've seen a couple of posters recently do this.

Too many months of no answers/copy pasta answers, too many months of watching EA espouse about LGBT rights without even telling us that the information given last spring was still too true.

Too many months of the same idiot trolls that won't take 2 minutes to do any research. I'm specifically referring to the ones that go, "Gays r baddies" "Omg, Disney and Lucas hates da gays! F2P means it failed, they dun have the money. Give up trolololol."

It's a bit draining on the psyche.

I really don't envy the mods their job, and I get mad when I see people trying to shoot the messenger. This has got to be as frustrating for them as it is for us. I'm also betting that they might know about as much as we do at this point, and have nothing else to tell us because they don't know anything themselves.

For those that still have the fortitude to get proactive, please go for it! We've talked about writing news sites, which a few of us did, but nothing much came out of it. We could bring that oddly abandoned petition back to light.

I know there is some good ideas about how to get organized, but I was wondering if there could be any unifying gamer site to state our voice? Like some sort of collective mission statement. I just wouldn't know where or who to start with for now.

If anyone else has some ideas, please feel free to put them down.