Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Same gender relationships clarifications?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Same gender relationships clarifications?
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Kioma
09.07.2012 , 08:58 PM | #1181
Quote: Originally Posted by Palar View Post
I was hoping you were kidding, so I went for a soul-crushing Google check.

Nope, they actually did make that promise/threat. Ah well, at least I know not to bother getting excited for DA3.
Don't be too disheartened. That still leaves them plenty of room for small-scope multiplayer. I mean they could argue that Mass Effect 3 isn't 'single player only'. They could do something similar with DA3 (if they ever actually make it) and have a single-player storyline with multiplayer capability added in.
::Please Stand By, Signature Assessment Probe Commencing Analysis::

chuixupu
09.07.2012 , 09:10 PM | #1182
From what I was reading, there's no reason to believe there can't be a DA3.
Wardens of Fate / Alea Iacta Est
The Tarkus Legacy ~ The Harbinger/Jedi Covenant

Palar
09.07.2012 , 09:15 PM | #1183
Quote: Originally Posted by Kioma View Post
Don't be too disheartened. That still leaves them plenty of room for small-scope multiplayer. I mean they could argue that Mass Effect 3 isn't 'single player only'. They could do something similar with DA3 (if they ever actually make it) and have a single-player storyline with multiplayer capability added in.
Didn't ME3 require you get a certain multi-player level to unlock part of the ending?

I don't know... I'm a curmudgeon from the Atari 2600 generation, so I don't care if people can click "Like" on Facebook when my Warden kills the Broodmother. Games like Unreal Tournament or whatever is the modern equivalent of Quake that are MP based from the get-go, great - not everything has to do that.

(And I'm hopelessly off-topic. Apologies.)

losdia
09.07.2012 , 09:32 PM | #1184
Quote: Originally Posted by Palar View Post
Didn't ME3 require you get a certain multi-player level to unlock part of the ending?

I don't know... I'm a curmudgeon from the Atari 2600 generation, so I don't care if people can click "Like" on Facebook when my Warden kills the Broodmother. Games like Unreal Tournament or whatever is the modern equivalent of Quake that are MP based from the get-go, great - not everything has to do that.
I'm from the NES generation and I know the feeling.

The short answer on the ME3 thing is that multiplayer was one way to unlock the best end. There were like five different ways to do it. Multiplayer was one of the big ones, but so were playing some Ipad promotional minigame and importing ME2 save games.
"Say, Mike... Did we just do something horribly wrong?"
"Yeah, I think so."
-MST3K, Invasion USA

Palar
09.07.2012 , 09:58 PM | #1185
Ah. I better steer things again.

If there's "no new information", and "nothing's changed", where does that actually stand with other Yellow posts that have said story is on the back-burner and Makeb won't be Act 4? Which time-line's accurate now?

Monoth
09.07.2012 , 10:52 PM | #1186
Quote: Originally Posted by Uluain View Post
How is it less cost efficient to use known voice actors with whom they have contracted to continue their roles in the future than it is to audition, contract and record new actors for new companions?

But this is a very old question, and one that while Daniel Erickson has indicated is in fact pretty much decided, he has also said he won't tell us.

Truly - no changes for SGRAs, indeed. :P
It's always easier to add new content in then try and go back and edit existing content which usually ends up with lots of bugs and issues... Anyways I would put money down that you guys will never see SGRA's in this game..... If Bioware really wanted to put them in the game they would of been there from the get go.... Seriously how hard would it be to add the options in there when they were designing the game... It would of been a piece of cake...

My guess is EA didn't want any commotion about SGRA's during the launch of the game and Bioware was going to try and sneak it in with an expansion... but now that the game is struggling I doubt your going to see it...
F2P is like driving on a long stretch of highway with toll booths every 1/2 mile

Uluain
09.07.2012 , 11:19 PM | #1187
Quote: Originally Posted by Monoth View Post
My guess is EA didn't want any commotion about SGRA's during the launch of the game and Bioware was going to try and sneak it in with an expansion... but now that the game is struggling I doubt your going to see it...
There was a huge fuss from the sort of people who make a commotion about this kind of thing anyway on the basis that it is to be included. They responded at the time by saying that they had no intention of changing their mind. They've been through it already, even though the feature isn't in yet (a fact that seems to have been missed by those adamantly opposing its inclusion.

I also want to remind people that we really were told in March that updates on SGR from the Dev Team would be sparse to nil until they were ready to roll this out. What I have been working to find out is whether the plan has changed on account of the changes at BioWare and for the game that has happened since.

It took a while, but we did get that clarified here at the 1 year mark since the announcement and the 6 month mark since our last informational update. They haven't told us anything before because there's been no new developments.

The info we have is still the plan: SGRs will be a feature of the game. The target window for getting them in is still loosely this year. A timeframe is the hardest prediction to make. It's a goal. It may be December, it may be next April, but this is still on the way.

Staffing changes at BioWare Austin have not changed this. The shift to F2P hasn't changed this. That's what this announcement was to clarify -- see the longer quote from Joveth in my post above his in-thread appearance.

Stephen Reid never said it would be soon after launch. He just said it would be in, but not at launch. He also said that it was unusual for them to talk about something that far ahead of when they could get it in. Daniel Erickson did say "with story content this year", but he also said not to expect another update on this content any time soon.

I don't think we'll hear anything new about this until after 1.4 is in and F2P is live. Those are what the focus is on now. That's as expected. But asked to clarify whether the info we have is still the plan, Alllison & Joveth were finally able to tell us (through whatever NDA considerations limit what they can say) that yes, it's still the plan. That's all the update we are getting right now.

The_Witchfinder
09.07.2012 , 11:19 PM | #1188
At this point I can't help but wonder whether the decision to ignore this particular demographic is motivated by something else than time and resource restrictions. It's sad to see a branch of Bioware as bigots, but there you have it.

Uluain
09.07.2012 , 11:30 PM | #1189
Also we did get information from Joveth that had never been explicitly laid out before, and which was causing hard feeling and misunderstanding -- namely, why this is one thread and not many. It's to keep up with the trolls drawn by the controversial nature of the subject matter. I don't think that Joveth knew that had never actually been explained. I had guessed as much, and said so here. That's been confirmed.

They have also been plain that when there is a substantive update, which they do expect to someday have, this thread is the first place we'll hear it.

You have no idea what I put these poor, busy people through in explaining why we needed current statements confirmed. They thought we understood it was still the plan. It is still the plan. That is good news, no reading between the lines needed. They are standing by what has already been said.

I am not going to post the entirety of my conversations with Allison and Joveth that got us here, but I have been talking to both of them. They aren't ignoring us out of any prejudicial sentiment. It's because I was able to explain how things made it look that way that it finally got through why an appearance in this thread was needed. I made a monumental nuisance of myself, but once I had the chance to lay it all out, they got it and it's why Joveth popped in.

Kioma
09.07.2012 , 11:33 PM | #1190
Quote: Originally Posted by The_Witchfinder View Post
At this point I can't help but wonder whether the decision to ignore this particular demographic is motivated by something else than time and resource restrictions. It's sad to see a branch of Bioware as bigots, but there you have it.
I'm sure there are plenty of people who have considered this at the very least in passing. I don't think it's the case.

Bioware is a pretty stubborn company in many ways, often to their detriment (as this prolonged period of silence - only recently broken - shows). I think if they wanted to avoid putting SGRAs in at all they'd just have said, 'We've decided not to put them in because we want to present SWTOR as a family game.'

Yes, it's a flawed argument. No, I don't think it's valid. But it's the one people usually give as an excuse to be homophobic. Bioware could have pulled the Family Friendly card and then fended off the uproar by simply ignoring it. But they didn't.

Instead they declared they intended to put it in but couldn't - yet. That statement might have the LGBTI crowd going, 'Well, it sucks that it's not in but they're putting it in, right?' but it got the homophobic lobbyists all up in arms and Bioware fended off attacks from them - the group that is larger, generally at least as vocal and for the most part a LOT better funded.

They knew they were going to anger one group or the other; they chose the larger and (arguably) more politically volatile group. So no, I don't think they're bigots. What's more, I do believe that it was a time and budgeting constraint that stopped them going in. Considering they got attacked by a herd of homophobic bulls over it I really don't think they're lying.

But I do think they need to communicate with us more regarding these features, and I do think their silence is hurting them more than their conversation would.
::Please Stand By, Signature Assessment Probe Commencing Analysis::