Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Same gender relationships clarifications?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Same gender relationships clarifications?
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

stuffystuffs's Avatar


stuffystuffs
06.18.2012 , 12:01 PM | #101
"Player-sexual" probably isn't the best phrase for it but is commonly used.

It's the idea that certain LIs can have a subjective sexuality in different playthroughs.

If you think about it, a lot of BW's LIs don't show much (or any at all) attraction to people outside of the PC. The player is free to interpret these character's sexuality anyway they wish. When I play my Agent (female), I can believe that Dr. Lokin is gay and Temple is a lesbian if I wish b/c so far I haven't ran into evidence that contradicts this. On that note, I don't see why Temple can't be available for female Agents too but if you romance her with a male Agent, you are still free to interpret her as a straight character.

Players simply have different interpretations of these characters in general because the content we experience in game can't possibly show us 100% of the characteristics that define these characters (do we know Kaliyo's favorite food? No....so that's open to interpretation).
Node guarder

Captain_Zone's Avatar


Captain_Zone
06.18.2012 , 12:29 PM | #102
Quote: Originally Posted by stuffystuffs View Post
"Player-sexual" probably isn't the best phrase for it but is commonly used.

It's the idea that certain LIs can have a subjective sexuality in different playthroughs.

If you think about it, a lot of BW's LIs don't show much (or any at all) attraction to people outside of the PC. The player is free to interpret these character's sexuality anyway they wish. When I play my Agent (female), I can believe that Dr. Lokin is gay and Temple is a lesbian if I wish b/c so far I haven't ran into evidence that contradicts this. On that note, I don't see why Temple can't be available for female Agents too but if you romance her with a male Agent, you are still free to interpret her as a straight character.

Players simply have different interpretations of these characters in general because the content we experience in game can't possibly show us 100% of the characteristics that define these characters (do we know Kaliyo's favorite food? No....so that's open to interpretation).
Ok, thanks. Yeah, I see your point. Kaliiyo, on the other hand, has pretty much admitted openly that she's bi, with her comments in the letter I read where she says "young people" instead of "young men" as to who she wants to bring onboard to help her pass the time.
. OPOD
Shivalka: Darth Baras is quite large, isn't he?
Joran Karn: You, my dear Sith, have just mastered the art of understatement.

stuffystuffs's Avatar


stuffystuffs
06.18.2012 , 01:03 PM | #103
As for Kaliyo, I'll just say that she can be interpreted as bisexual and most so.

Zandilar is going to disagree though XD
Node guarder

Journeyer's Avatar


Journeyer
06.18.2012 , 01:58 PM | #104
I may be "misremembering" here, but wasn't there an explicit statement from Bioware somewhere saying that when same-gender romance is introduced, it will be with newly introduced companions?

I just figure it's worth mentioning since there's a lot of opinions floating around regarding which existing companions people'd most like to see, and which classes they want to roll as for the options. But, if it's only going to be companions we get in the next story update...then we haven't seen them yet. (Unless HK-51 is a SGR option)
I make useful, game-expanding suggestions.
Holorancor | Food! | Outfit Storage | My Career | Ultimate PvE Solution

stuffystuffs's Avatar


stuffystuffs
06.18.2012 , 02:57 PM | #105
Quote: Originally Posted by Journeyer View Post
I may be "misremembering" here, but wasn't there an explicit statement from Bioware somewhere saying that when same-gender romance is introduced, it will be with newly introduced companions?
It's changed, apparently.

The latest word is that some SGRA content will be added this year in a story content patch and it will be with existing companions that they had always intended to be SGRA capable (but they didn't have time to implement it).
Node guarder

Zandilar's Avatar


Zandilar
06.18.2012 , 03:59 PM | #106
Quote: Originally Posted by stuffystuffs View Post
As for Kaliyo, I'll just say that she can be interpreted as bisexual and most so.

Zandilar is going to disagree though XD
You guess correctly! I'm not confident enough in what we know to label her as bisexual, given Bioware's track record with the ME character she's the expy for (Jack), but I think I've just about exhausted myself on the "please don't label until we know 100% for sure from Kaliyo herself" (or her writer).

There are certainly hints, but there were also hints with Jack. (Bioware - Jack keeps coming up over and over again because you guys made Kaliyo her expy (<= warning, that link goes to the black hole of the internet, otherwise known as Tvtropes). There are so many parallels between them, it's very hard to have any conversation about Kaliyo without bringing up Jack.) But Jack turned out seemingly straight - Fem!Shepard couldn't romance her at all (which is the important part... I'm still trying to track down the Jack/Male!Shepard scene another poster was talking about upthread.)

Finally, I love my female!Agent, and I would be sorely disappointed if Kaliyo was the only choice of LI for her. (Because they are so not compatible, it isn't funny.)
Zandilar, an Australian, IN SPAAAAAAAACCCCEEEEE!!
Too many characters, most of them Chiss.

Captain_Zone's Avatar


Captain_Zone
06.18.2012 , 06:14 PM | #107
Quote: Originally Posted by Zandilar View Post
You guess correctly! I'm not confident enough in what we know to label her as bisexual, given Bioware's track record with the ME character she's the expy for (Jack), but I think I've just about exhausted myself on the "please don't label until we know 100% for sure from Kaliyo herself" (or her writer).

There are certainly hints, but there were also hints with Jack. (Bioware - Jack keeps coming up over and over again because you guys made Kaliyo her expy (<= warning, that link goes to the black hole of the internet, otherwise known as Tvtropes). There are so many parallels between them, it's very hard to have any conversation about Kaliyo without bringing up Jack.) But Jack turned out seemingly straight - Fem!Shepard couldn't romance her at all (which is the important part... I'm still trying to track down the Jack/Male!Shepard scene another poster was talking about upthread.)

Finally, I love my female!Agent, and I would be sorely disappointed if Kaliyo was the only choice of LI for her. (Because they are so not compatible, it isn't funny.)
Oh, I DEFINITELY hope Raina is available for SGRs when they come in. Yes, I really have it bad for Halle Berry look-a-likes.
. OPOD
Shivalka: Darth Baras is quite large, isn't he?
Joran Karn: You, my dear Sith, have just mastered the art of understatement.

rahadnak's Avatar


rahadnak
06.20.2012 , 12:43 AM | #108
Quote: Originally Posted by stuffystuffs View Post
It's changed, apparently.

The latest word is that some SGRA content will be added this year in a story content patch and it will be with existing companions that they had always intended to be SGRA capable (but they didn't have time to implement it).
Oh, I hope they never forget this, it would be quite unfair if we couldnīt mate those companions we have been secretly loving for such a long time!!!!

Crezelle's Avatar


Crezelle
06.20.2012 , 12:46 AM | #109
Quote: Originally Posted by Captain_Zone View Post
Oh, I DEFINITELY hope Raina is available for SGRs when they come in. Yes, I really have it bad for Halle Berry look-a-likes.
dude i'd call you two peppermint patty and marci.
there may be hope for my Mmarauder and quinn yet * squeeeeeee*
Crezelle De'Chimera, of the Shadowlands
" Secret Agent Blue Booty, at your service. You Lead the way; I bring the kolto. "

Zandilar's Avatar


Zandilar
06.20.2012 , 07:11 AM | #110
Quote: Originally Posted by Captain_Zone View Post
Oh, I DEFINITELY hope Raina is available for SGRs when they come in. Yes, I really have it bad for Halle Berry look-a-likes.
Yes, she would be far more acceptable as a LI for Jan than Kaliyo. Shame I don't get to have her as my active companion. (I am pretty much locked in to taking Lokin with me, since he heals. I suppose I could respec as medic and try with Rania as my dps, but I don't like being so passive when solo'ing.)

I've decided I want to add LS Jaesa* to my list of desired LIs. Myren (my SW) has taken a real shine to her, and takes her everywhere (even though Quinn would probably be the safer choice, as the healer). She's a bit like an Empire version of Kira (not quite sure if that really conveys what I mean).

*I am aware she's not romancable by either gender right now, but that isn't stopping Myren from wanting her.
Zandilar, an Australian, IN SPAAAAAAAACCCCEEEEE!!
Too many characters, most of them Chiss.