Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

The Short Fic Weekly Challenge Thread!

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Community Content > Fan Fiction
The Short Fic Weekly Challenge Thread!
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Striges
06.18.2014 , 06:46 AM | #5051
Quote: Originally Posted by alaurin View Post
I'm thinking it would be nice to have the Prompt Archive, Index, and AU Index all in one thread. That way we could just point people to one place where they can find everything SFC related.

Well, I got the Fanfic Index stickied when I took it over from Bright back in Feb. I think it was Courtney Woods who took care of that for me and I could ask if she'd help us out again. I think I saved the email......
This is a great idea. If you didn't want to keep the prompt archive I can start a separate thread with just the prompts and the archive. Either way, I think adding a post with each new prompt and updating the first page with the newest prompt would be a good idea. I'm sure I'm not the only one searching through the last few pages on a Tuesday trying to find the precise wording on the current prompt. Not so much a problem now of course. Let me know if you wnat me to take over the archive.

Maybe have a shifting index in the first couple of posts as well, like for the forum index, that you can change as the posts fill up. I.e. Authors A (this doesn't actually go anywhere) linking to the post wilth "A", then "B", etc.

Courtney Woods posted in the thread, so I'm sure we can send her PMs if nothing else. Hopefully that will work.

Quote: Originally Posted by alaurin View Post
That is a good suggestion and I agree, 500+ pages is daunting, but I'm not sure about starting a new thread every month. This thread has become a tribute to the original starters/posters and I feel that it should stay together. With the Index/Prompt Archive being taken to their own thread, people should be able to find the stories they'd like to catch up on and the prompts they'd like to write about without having to go through all those pages.
I agree with Alaurin. It is a bit of a monument to the contributors. All of them, old hands and new writers alike. One of the great things about having the thread intact is exactly that. It's intact. A new reader can follow the discussions if they want without having to track down "SFC part 16" buried on page six of the forum. Moving the indexes and archives to separate threads will make it easier to find the specific stories you're interested in without removing that aspect.

We probably should have moved the indexes and archives a long time ago. It's really a credit to contributors (especially Bright, Kabeone, and Alaurin) that there's as much organization here as there is. Forum threads aren't geared for this sort of thing, and we made it work anyway.

DomiSotto
06.18.2014 , 07:23 AM | #5052
Oh, I totally understand the felling of continuity that keeping the thread as is creates Hey, it's not a real inconvenience after all. I am a newb, and found my way around no pro, and I enjoy the journey.

I have no idea what to write about still for this week, but I had time to enjoy the stories so I will just post the comments and have another think (for better nothing than just something).

Overall comment: I read a story after story and I think: Wow, that's a great interpretation of the topic. Why didn't I think of that? Big round of applause for creativity and that awesome variety in this challenging quiz! So, comments:

@Striges
Spoiler

@MRtwo

Spoiler

@Alaurin

Spoiler

@Mirdthestrill

Spoiler

alaurin
06.18.2014 , 07:53 AM | #5053
Quote: Originally Posted by Striges View Post
This is a great idea. If you didn't want to keep the prompt archive I can start a separate thread with just the prompts and the archive. Either way, I think adding a post with each new prompt and updating the first page with the newest prompt would be a good idea. I'm sure I'm not the only one searching through the last few pages on a Tuesday trying to find the precise wording on the current prompt. Not so much a problem now of course. Let me know if you wnat me to take over the archive.

Maybe have a shifting index in the first couple of posts as well, like for the forum index, that you can change as the posts fill up. I.e. Authors A (this doesn't actually go anywhere) linking to the post wilth "A", then "B", etc.

Courtney Woods posted in the thread, so I'm sure we can send her PMs if nothing else. Hopefully that will work.
I think keeping the Prompt Archive and the Index together is probably best.....that way we have it all in one place and just one thing to sticky. I'm fine with keeping the Archive up (compared to the index, its nothing really). I think you should still post the new prompt in the actual SFC thread every week though. I'll start working on the Archive/Index thread shortly and once it's set up, we can look at getting it stickied. I will ask that people not post on that thread so we can keep it neat and flowing well. It will also help me whenever I have to shift things around. I will use the first post as a directive as you suggested and put the Archive first.

@DomiSotto: I'm glad you enjoyed Jax's piece and its good to hear that it came off nicely......I have such a hard time with descriptions and having no dialogue was a challenge. No worries on the BH......I completely understand about spoilers. I will be posting one that you should be able to read shortly though since it takes place just before the BH class story.

DomiSotto
06.18.2014 , 08:22 AM | #5054
Oh, yeah, I am all up for BH adventures up to the point I have travelled with him/her so far Cheers, folks! Keep 'em coming

alaurin
06.18.2014 , 09:06 AM | #5055
Quote: Originally Posted by DomiSotto View Post
Oh, yeah, I am all up for BH adventures up to the point I have travelled with him/her so far Cheers, folks! Keep 'em coming
Well, here you go then! You can have a look at Dekkyn, another one of my boys in my experiment with the male perspective.

Title: Haunted By the Past
Prompt: Memories/Nightmares
Character: Dekkyn Varlok
Setting: XS Freighter, immediately after Keeping the Memories at Bay
Spoilers: small hint at the intro to the BH story

Spoiler

alaurin
06.18.2014 , 11:01 AM | #5056
Alright, the Prompt Archive and SFC Index can now be found here. I urge you to take a look at it and please let me know if there are any mistakes by sending me a PM. Pretty please, do not post in that thread......I'd really like to keep it easy to adjust as this thread grows without having to leave blank placeholder posts. Yes, I can be a bit picky about stuff......I have issues, I know.

As I get a moment here and there, I'll post a redirect to the thread in those places I have the index in this thread and change my signature, but right now, my kids are demanding cake......

BenduKundalini
06.18.2014 , 11:01 AM | #5057
Wow Alaurin, you'd deserve a fanfare and a medal from Leïa Organa for the amazing work on the SFC!!

Thanks!!!!

frauzet
06.19.2014 , 02:51 AM | #5058
Comments:
Spoiler
Storyindex in chronological order

...From what I've tasted of desire I hold with those who favor fire... (Frost)

frauzet
06.19.2014 , 03:06 AM | #5059
Thank you all for the comments on my last story. Of course I was going to shed some light on the latest events. I experimented a bit to make the story fit the current prompt.

Prompt - The Sounds of Silence
Title - Leaving Hutta
Class - BH (Thorns)
Words - ~ 800
Spoilers - spoilers for BH and IA Hutta
Takes place after ‘Nem’ro’s Champion
Thorns reflects about the latest events on Hutta while being distracted by female company. (A bit risque I guess.)
Spoiler

Note:
Spoiler
Storyindex in chronological order

...From what I've tasted of desire I hold with those who favor fire... (Frost)

DomiSotto
06.19.2014 , 10:13 AM | #5060
@Alaurin:

Spoiler

@frauzet

Spoiler