Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

The Short Fic Weekly Challenge Thread!

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Community Content > Fan Fiction
The Short Fic Weekly Challenge Thread!
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Striges
06.24.2013 , 07:43 PM | #3391
Comments:

Lady-Jean: maybe it’s because Maldecka is so young, or because Knight Zarro seems to know exactly how to answer her, but I enjoy their stories. Teaching her that Jedi ask for help when they can’t accomplish a task is an important lesson.

Replies:
Quote: Originally Posted by alaurin View Post
@Stirges: awww, sad and the Kirya story, awww, I love her! I remember bringing a goldfish home from the fair...I was so proud of my prize until the cat ate it a week later!
Yeah, those little goldfish never last too long, with or without cats. I’m amazed they survive the ball landing in their cups.

Quote: Originally Posted by Lady-Jean View Post
@ Striges: Haha! "I fed it every day..." Great little story.
Glad you liked it. I had a goldfish once who managed to eat an entire school of neon tetras over the course of a week, as well as all the other food that went in the tank.

marissalf
06.24.2013 , 08:22 PM | #3392
Lesaberisa, I love Malcineve in all her “I’m really bad and evil, I swear!” glory. It’s nice that Vette’s getting to her. And really, who can resist cute baby animals? And the tauntaun pieces were funny. They way Amitia’s leads right into Arys’ is great.

Striges, Your story reminds me of many an ill-fated trip to the fair to win one of those tiny goldfish that never lives more than a few days after you bring it home. You can just imagine Adoko’s horrified face looking at the squidling. Also, “polyplast prison.” I like this phrase a lot.

Bright, How awful for Ruth. It makes sense that Baras would choose to wound her that way, since we’ve already seen him use that strategy once before. And I will always love Quinn and Ruth together, especially these nice moments between the two of them.

Lady-Jean, I like that Maldecka has Zarro in her life, someone who’s like a surrogate parent providing those important lessons. And that last line about Zarro brushing away the horrors of the mission was great.

Alaurin, Ooooh, I really want to know what Jorgan’s afraid of. This is gonna be good Also,
Quote: Originally Posted by alaurin View Post
@Marissalf: Well done indeed! I like that choice in dealing with Quinn after....you know.
Thank ya! I figured that would be the only way Rissia would know for certain that she was safe with him. And in her sith mind, she sees nothing wrong with this solution. It’s a pretty selfish thing to do, but she’s determined not to be alone. One of these days I’ve got to start fleshing out her backstory a bit more.

bright_ephemera
06.25.2013 , 10:47 AM | #3393
Aww, Magdalane, it's sweet to see Lucky settled in. A lynx makes for a pretty big house kitty.

@alaurin, Jorgan, you big, mean...okay if I saw my CO go at a garter snake with an assault cannon I would be less than gracious, too.

@Lady-Jean, I love that the scary, dangerous trial is "usually for eight-year-olds." This tribe doesn't mess around. And it was striking and sweet to catch a glimpse of the benefit Master Zarro gets from this mentoring.

@marissalf, I like the reasoning you built in for the daughter of someone as influential as the Emperor's Wrath getting saddled with the programming. Quinn I feel less bad about.

@Lesaberisa, I really, really wasn't sure which way Malicineve was going to go. And the Amitia/Ayrs setup was just fantastic.

@Striges, I love that Maathai took Kirya's part. You never do know what they're going to do when you get them home, though...
the Short Fic Weekly Challenge - 70+ authors to date. 1900+ stories. New prompts weekly!
Bright's Fanfic Threads
Forever Shenanigans!
Ceterum autem censeo, Malavai esse delendam.

Lady-Jean
06.25.2013 , 11:25 AM | #3394
I feel like I'm spamming the thread but these short bites are just fun.
@ Striges: Glad you're still liking em! It wouldn't be training if Maldecka never learned something
@ marissalf: I'm glad you liked the last line. I was worried the wording and sudden dark tone wouldn't quite jive at the end of that. Glad it worked!
@ bright_ephemera: Maldecka definitely comes from a tough people. I'm excited to keep exploring Zarro's side of this so long as y'all are interested.

Maldecka the Kid #6
Abt. 800 words, 1 hour
SPOILERS: Jedi Knight Prologue

Note: This is set a year or so after Orgus' apprentice Morr falls to the dark side. Orgus isn't his usual self because of it. Maldecka is still six.

First Impressions - Our characters meet tons of people on their journeys. What are their first impressions of each other like? Are they accurate, or did someone put up a front? Write about it!

Lady-Jean
06.25.2013 , 12:49 PM | #3395
And another.

Maldecka the Kid #7
Abt 1000 words, 45 min.

Communication Breakdown - Trying to communicate with each other when things are going well is hard enough, but our characters have plenty of other things that can get in the way. Bad com channels, language barriers, broken holo feeds - all those can mess up a conversation. Not to mention people who just plain don't understand each other...

Adwynyth
06.25.2013 , 12:58 PM | #3396
Gubblee...hee hee! Keep it up.

*brings popcorn into this thread as well*
Horrendously bad fan fiction: Sith in a Pretty Dress

Lady-Jean
06.27.2013 , 08:18 AM | #3397
*grabs a handful of popcorn*
Glad you liked it

This one went off the rails a bit, and didn't turn out as funny as I had hoped. Oh well.
Maldecka the Kid #8
About 1000 words, no time.
SPOILERS: Jedi Knight Prologue

Kinda a continuation from MtK #6

Health - Jet-setting around the galaxy means exposing yourself to a ton of different viruses, bacteria, and parasites. Let's go, biology nerds!

Selentar
06.27.2013 , 09:39 AM | #3398
A belated welcome to the thread to Lady-Jean

Prompt: Uninvited Guests
Feat: Lilith, Lokin and Kaliyo.

Note:
Spoiler

Spoiler

sthrift
06.28.2013 , 04:27 AM | #3399
Lady Jean. I'm really getting a kick out of your Meldacka story. Nicely done.

OK, another BH story, fairly short at about 600 words. No spoilers. Just a side hunting trip to Tatooine. Along the "Mea culpa" line.

Spoiler

And a second. My smuggler and a little back story on her. Companion spoiler, little longish at just over 2600 words. Sorry it went long. And after reading through it again, a tad sultry at points.

Spoiler

Striges
06.28.2013 , 07:00 AM | #3400
Replies:
Spoiler

Comments:
Spoiler

Story Time!

Prompt: Animal Kingdom (with a smattering of Xenobiology and As Time Goes By)

Character: Kirya Bilali (smuggler, eventually)

Title: Toothy’s Surprise

Takes place a year and a half after Going to the Fair and spans about two months. No spoilers, but I think I should label it with a trigger warning for the (completely natural) death of a pet, because pets dying make me sad.

Somehow this started more lighthearted than it turned out. And long, 2600 words. I guess I can’t write anything short for Kirya and her family.

Spoiler

Notes:
Spoiler