Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

The Short Fic Weekly Challenge Thread!

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Community Content > Fan Fiction
The Short Fic Weekly Challenge Thread!
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

06.23.2013 , 03:10 PM | #3381
Yikes! I have neglected the SFC thread as I have been working on my fanfic these past 2 days and I am behind. I am excited to have so much to read though!

Here is a quickie for the Animal Kingdom prompt, then I will get caught up on my reading so I can make comments!

Title: That’s Not Funny!
Prompt: Animal Kingdom
Character: Mallayse-trooper with Jorgan
Setting: Taris
Spoilers: Taris missions

06.23.2013 , 03:57 PM | #3382
Wow, Thank you for all the welcomes. I think I stumbled into the nicest little community on the site!

@Striges: I think Master Orgus will show up soon. I might play around with the way the JK prolog timeline goes
@ bright_ephemera: Aww, thanks, I'm glad you like her!
@ Magdalane: Glad your feeling better!
@ alaurin: I was giggling at this, fantastic Story!

Maldecka the Kid #4
Abt 1500 words, didn't time

Rites of Passage - Sort of related to the cultural theme, there are tons of different rites of passage our characters go through. Some are common across cultures, like weddings. Some are specific to a culture, like coming-of-age ceremonies. And sometimes they are just an internal realization that your life has changed. Feel free to take this in any direction you would like.

06.23.2013 , 08:17 PM | #3383
Lady-Jean: Again, I like the look at Zabrak culture, and loved Tekka's solo cheer. Master Zarro seems like a wonderful mentor for Maldecka. He gave her a great nickname, he demonstrates trust in the Force as well as confidence in her when he allows Maldecka to choose--at six--whether she wants to be a Jedi or return to her tribe. To choose her path.

Alaurin: Oh, Jorgan's going to be paying for that prank, I bet. I do like seeing characters with genuine, understandable flaws. Like fear of snakes or spiders.

06.23.2013 , 08:54 PM | #3384
Comments: (Eek! I got behind so quickly, so I'll start with the prompt change and work from there for now.)
Lady-Jean, Welcome! I like that we’re seeing the Jedi training through the eyes of a child. Maldecka’s age would definitely make the experience more difficult, especially mastering certain fears and being separated from her family.

Yoshi, I liked the nice little payback from the nerf. It does pay to do the right thing.

Kabeone, I loved the parallel with Scourge, and it totally makes sense that some of the, ahem, less patient companions would start getting annoyed with all those side trips our characters make. (I’m looking right at you, Kaliyo )

Magdalane, Awww, what a sweet story. Loved it!

Quote: Originally Posted by alaurin View Post
“I guess I didn’t get that good of a look….just wanted it dead before it got too close.” She admitted.
This sounds exactly like me with spiders Mallay's reaction is totally justified.

Story: Mea Culpa
With Rissia and Quinn.
Takes place immediately after Defenses.
Spoilers for SW Act III and IA Act II. About 1,000 words

A quick (spoilery) note:

06.23.2013 , 11:08 PM | #3385
I'm giving in to laziness and going to stick with a generic "I'm enjoying having all this stuff to read" comment, although I would like to reply to two people directly

Lady-Jean - Welcome to the thread! May you write many things to entertain me at work

Kabe - My stories are ALL out of order I mean, I really appreciate your indexing

Character: Malcineve (SW, crazy Sith princess)
Notes: Act 1, no spoilers

Character: Amitia (JK)
Notes: Hoth, no spoilers

Character: Ayrs

Finest mediocre fanfic this side of the Outer Rim:Trooper / Inquisitor

06.23.2013 , 11:34 PM | #3386

Character: Kirya Bilali (smuggler)

Title: Going to the Fair

I haven’t written much for Kirya in a while, so here’s a bit from her childhood on Ryloth. I think it’s the earliest thing I’ve written for her. No spoilers.

06.24.2013 , 06:25 AM | #3387
Oh, much wonderful and so much of it giggly, I feel bad dumping in a darker one. (But I'll do it anyway.)

Mea Culpa, a serious Ruth turn just after the end of the class line. The first is 300 words, spoilers for Sith Warrior Act 3. Also spoilers for Colran Niral’s adult life; that’s what I get for tap-dancing all over a fifty-year timeline.

Notes, with spoilers for the Warrior Act 3:

Skipping almost exactly seventeen years ahead to Ruth Means Compassion’s Timeline 3. I should mention that Ruth reconciled with Quinn shortly before Timeline 3 started. 350 words, no spoilers.

the Short Fic Weekly Challenge - 70+ authors to date. 2000+ stories. New prompts weekly!
Bright's Fanfic Threads
Forever Shenanigans!
Ceterum autem censeo, Malavai esse delendam.

06.24.2013 , 06:25 AM | #3388
Marissalf: Agent/SW spoilers:

Lesaberisa: Vette can be a good influence, if you let her. Nice to see Malcineve let her. And oh, dear, tauntauns. Especially paired like that, with Amitia expressing doubt they’d be useful, and Ayrs just going with it and racing.

(edit to include) Bright: The last line of Ruth’s Mea Culpa is so haunting, and so true. I’m with you on “standard” RPG adventurers. The whole point of a background seems to be figuring out a reason why your character is a homeless vagabond searching for monsters to slay and treasure to collect, instead of being sensible and caring about family and home. TOR is one of the few games that encourages the player to create dynasties and extended families instead of orphans. I think that's one of its strengths, and it shows in the fic in this forum.

06.24.2013 , 07:22 AM | #3389
Oh, so many stories but so many spoilers. *runs away over a hill*
@ Striges: Haha! "I fed it every day..." Great little story.
@ Lesaberisa: These were all so fun! You have a knack for conveying an emotion in so few words

Maldecka the Kid #5
Abt 400 words in 20 min

Animal Kingdom - Animals are all over in Star Wars, be they beasts of burden, metal-devouring parasites, mounts, showcase pets or underfoot vermin. Write about the animals your character has encountered.

06.24.2013 , 12:40 PM | #3390
Finally caught up! I apologize for taking so long to comment!!

Whew.....I really hope I didn't forget anyone and if I did, I am soooo sorry and I totally blame my kids!