Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Grammar in Chat

Kourage
05.24.2012 , 05:45 PM | #21
My grammar is gooder.
That is all.
Looking for a good woman. Able to clean, cook, sew, catch bait, and clean fish. Must have boat and motor.
((Please send picture of boat and motor))

Kelenan
05.24.2012 , 05:46 PM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by Polyneux View Post
Thus why I want to have the discussion.

If a person can heal animals or people or even if they are good at math then they likely went to or are attending a Professional school. I'd want to pick their brain as to why they don't follow the same rules for the few hours a day they play a game that they follow everywhere else in their life.

I'm saying that if a person's environment requires them to excel, then they should be excelling in all environments they are in including playing a game. I didn't say that the inability to spell or use grammar made them dumb or stupid. I'm saying it could give clues to their level of education, and possibly their profession.

When I see the argument happening repeatedly, I thought I'd write about it.

The question becomes "why do you treat me like im stupid?" and the answer is often "Because you use improper grammar." Why? Well I'm exploring why.

I'm not saying that I haven't made mistakes. I'm not saying that people who use poor grammar are stupid. I'm also not saying I am not guilty of casting poor judgement on someone. I'm talking about a stigma that is automatically placed on some people and why.
I would bet you can't heal and animal, or weld metal or shape it, it is due to the fact people are wired differently. Some may excel at spelling, others excel at other things. It has nothing to do at all about intelligence. I argue all people have the same intelligence.

It is their environment in which they live that dictates how that intelligence is applied. For example I do not know how to build a plane. But place me in the environment in which I absolutely had to build planes I would eventually learn to do so.

Everyone has this skill not just a few, even the ones that don't articulate to your satisfaction.

Therefore I agree with you to a point. For each person is differently wired. It could take the a great deal of time to become proficient with a game. Yet take them 1 minute to diagnose a disease.
CE VIP

krisknife
05.24.2012 , 05:47 PM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by Kourage View Post
My grammar is gooder.
That is all.
pffft, everyone noes my gramer is the bestester

Polyneux
05.24.2012 , 05:52 PM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by Kelenan View Post
I would bet you can't heal and animal, or weld metal or shape it, it is due to the fact people are wired differently. Some may excel at spelling, others excel at other things. It has nothing to do at all about intelligence. I argue all people have the same intelligence.

It is their environment in which they live that dictates how that intelligence is applied. For example I do not know how to build a plane. But place me in the environment in which I absolutely had to build planes I would eventually learn to do so.

Everyone has this skill not just a few, even the ones that don't articulate to your satisfaction.
Okay, if someone is a metal worker or a vet. They weld the best metal and do the best healing at work. They consult for their friends and it is always an excellent job. All the horses are happy. Would they slack on their own vehicles, on their own pets? Would they let their dog get sick and die while healing others? The answer is no they are not.

I'm not questioning intelligence, I'm questioning reasoning.

In this day and age it is unprofessional to send an email, cover letter, resume paper (stuff everyone does, college or no), 90% of your average workday business or school materials without proper grammar. We develop a habit of the basics. You develop a habit of healing animals, of metal working, and you apply that all over, not just at work. I'm saying the same should apply here.

So if I see someone asking a question in chat or on a forum "Why are you treating me as less intelligent, why are you calling me 14." My response is that grammar is something that is expected to that person, they are a student or even a manager at McDonald's, somewhere where that is a standard. They have developed a habit and in their mind only someone who does not have that habit would not practice it everywhere.

I can almost guarantee if I put you in an anonymous discussion with two different people, one who uses no punctuation, capitals, smaller words, conjunctions etc. and one who properly formats sentences uses larger words (not too large, now) and has well developed thoughts, you would likely guess that the latter is older than the former, or more educated, or has a job, anything I've been discussing.

Dokar
05.24.2012 , 05:55 PM | #25
Okay, if someone is a metal worker or a vet. They weld the best metal and do the best healing at work. They consult for their friends and it is always an excellent job. All the horses are happy. Would they slack on their own vehicles, on their own pets? Would they let their dog get sick and die while healing others? The answer is no they are not.

I'm not questioning intelligence, I'm questioning reasoning.

In this day and age it is unprofessional to send an email, cover letter, resume paper (stuff everyone does, college or no), 90% of your average workday business or school materials without proper grammar. We develop a habit of the basics. You develop a habit of healing animals, of metal working, and you apply that all over, not just at work. I'm saying the same should apply here.

So if I see someone asking a question in chat or on a forum "Why are you treating me as less intelligent, why are you calling me 14." My response is that grammar is something that is expected to that person, they are a student or even a manager at McDonald's, somewhere where that is a standard. They have developed a habit and in their mind only someone who does not have that habit would not practice it everywhere.
Do you wear a shirt and tie from the time you get up till the time you go to bed?

Darth_Gao_Gao
05.24.2012 , 05:55 PM | #26
What I'm really gearing towards is the city and fleet arguments, where all parties involved are clearly just sitting around, not in battle, and trying to argue about the effectiveness of a Sorcerer, or something of that nature.

Whether or not I am an "Elite College Grad" or whether or not I work at Starbucks is not the issue. If "nobody" cared then the argument would not exist. I wouldn't see it every day. I wouldn't be annotating research studies about the effect of texting and computer literacy on academic literacy (there are thousands).

I'm simply saying that if someone uses poor grammar than there is a strong likelihood that they did not or have not been in a situation that has asked them to do so. If you're suggesting by your highly antagonistic statement that you did not go to college or are not asked in your daily life to use proper grammar, then your very post supports the previous statement.

If you -have- gone to college and -are- asked to type professionally on a daily basis, my question is why wouldn't you, especially in a forum where you clearly have enough time to formulate an opinion.

Neither event is an attack on you or anyone else
it appears that comprehension or critical thinking doesn't apply that much in english classes. you should have taken philosophy instead. yes, i went to college, which is why i think your ideas are hilarious. take this paragraph i'm writing right now, for instance. if i were to have written this statement in a word processor, the type one uses when writing formally for a paper, my sentences and the pronoun "i" would be automatically capitalized. however, because this is the internet, along with the fact that i honestly do not care for such formalities in casual communication, preferring to harbor intelligent ideas within my walls of text instead of a blind adherence to The Rules, i find myself and many others writing in this casual manner.

while we all want to get our points across using our language, there are limits in protocol that are socially acceptable in The Real World. you are basically "that guy" who thinks too highly of himself, and would be caught wearing a suit in a fast food establishment (your eventual place of work).

this amazing realization is what you have failed to grasp in your pretentious drivel. grammar isn't as important as syntax. your claim would have more merit if it regarded the structure of one's sentences, and not the petty details that a teacher's assistant worries about.

more concisely, and as stated previously: you are a nerfherder.

krisknife
05.24.2012 , 05:56 PM | #27
your responses to people about their grammar will just limit your interaction with them, it's not like anyone is going to say , "hey buddy you make a very valid point." This is the internet, the internet for pete's sake

Djuna
05.24.2012 , 05:56 PM | #28
*cough* It's actually TL;DR *cough*

You were saying?

Razot
05.24.2012 , 06:04 PM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by Darth_Gao_Gao View Post
OP, you are a nerfherder who thinks his college education is actually of importance. maybe when you get out of school and enter the real world, you'll realize the cold hard truth: nobody cares, especially on The Internet.

since you sound like a stuffy english major, i'll help you out here: i'd like a grande mocha, with a twist of soy milk. thanks.

edit: i'd like a bit of foam on top, as well. thanks again!
Awesome post!
As for the OP http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning–Kruger_effect.
True intelligence is the ability to communicate on a multitude of levels adapting to find solutions.. but have fun with your manuals.
Its just a game people play to relax and even to get a bit stupid from time to time.
Its funny because most of the brilliant and successful people i know write like if they are still in the sixth grade, this is why they have secretaries or somebody and even a team sometimes that handles all the public or professional documentation.

Kelenan
05.24.2012 , 06:06 PM | #30
People are shallow. Beside I have fat fingers a bumb leg and a hairlip, I'm also a dwarf.

And I really didn't understand the question! Dee Dee Dee!

(Hobbles off to eat pig jowels and punch babies)
CE VIP