Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

What is the best ranged dps class for pvp?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
What is the best ranged dps class for pvp?

Roiz
05.21.2012 , 04:55 AM | #11
Snipers are great, but powertechs are better.
Almost all powertech damaging abilities ignore armore. Powertech can deal all its attacks on the move has hevy armore and self healing. rapit shots, unload and flame burst automatically apply slow on targets.
For snipers it is long time to kill havy armored targets while powertechs do it fast.
With powertech you have all you need.
1 The highest pvp damage of all classes
2. Very high mobility
3. Instant cast ranged attacks.
4. Hevay armor and self healing
5. Most attacks ignore armor
6. You can pull targets with harpoon

My powertech is small just hit 16 level but in low level i break 300 000 damage in one warzone, on other classes i did 300k+ damage only after 40+ lvl.

Wallahan
05.21.2012 , 05:06 AM | #12
The powertech is no ranged dps class.

Gunslinger/Sniper are fotm range dps class in pvp. Commando/Mercs the worst.

Roiz
05.21.2012 , 06:46 AM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by Wallahan View Post
The powertech is no ranged dps class.

Gunslinger/Sniper are fotm range dps class in pvp. Commando/Mercs the worst.
Yes they are. All pyrotech build damaging abilities have 30 meters range, only flame burst has 10 meters.

Karkais
05.21.2012 , 10:38 AM | #14
When theres a lot of arguing what is the best - its a sure sign of things being pretty balanced.
"Their strength became my own. Their minds became my own. All flesh is my flesh. None move, save I will it. This is the rule the Sith were promised, and I have made it real!"
- From the codex of Karness Muur

dcgregorya
05.21.2012 , 12:43 PM | #15
A well played gunslinger is a major asset to a team. They must be hard to play though for some people (I don't have issues playing mine) because the vast majority seem to have a lot of trouble playing them properly. All in all I'd rather be playing my vanguard though - better mobility and utility.

Shadenuat
05.21.2012 , 01:08 PM | #16
Gunslinger's/Snipers damage is more rapid, they are easier to get into, defended against jumpers, could have some issues with energy regeneration. Sages/Sorcs damage is more over the time, harder to get into (need to learn kiting), vunlerable to jumpers, don't have trouble with energy, have higher utility and are more mobile. IMO those two classes balance each other out.

flem
05.21.2012 , 06:13 PM | #17
Definitely not Merc/Commando. Sorc/Sage DoT tree perhaps if you're a kiting pro and like that sort of thing. Otherwise Sniper/Slinger, though there are a lot of mediocre and worse ones starting to run around now.
Jedi Covenant | Formerly: Squadron 840; Shii-Cho | Bring back warzone Tauntauns!

DarthRaika
05.21.2012 , 09:35 PM | #18
Sniper is by far the best simply because there are so many players playing classes with leaps and the leaps are 30m. Most tab targetting melees will tab to you, try to leap, then tab again. This is a HUGE advantage in pvp.

Even good melee will often try to ignore you if they can stay los of you since you are pretty deadly to melee and even if they kill you, you will hurt them.

Also, sniper is the easiest ranged pvp dps class to play at around 80% effectiveness. There is still a large difference between the skilled and unskilled but even if you are not skilled at all as long as you keep some range you can just cover and snipe + ambush for pretty nice results.

Other ranged classes have to worry about melee much more than you do and so your positioning and awareness are far less important when just trying to kill whoever is infront of you (which snipers are great at).

This is why you are seeing so many people play the class now when it is not a popular class to play at all fun wise (almost no one played it at release).

Larry_Dallas
05.21.2012 , 10:34 PM | #19
Madness sorcs, unless the other team has a carnage marauder who recognizes there's a madness sorc running around doting the whole team and kiting his pursuers to death. Carnage marauder is more or less an unwinnable fight for a madness, unless all the maras cooldowns are blown or he's at half health or something.

DarthRaika
05.21.2012 , 11:29 PM | #20
you don't understand pvp. It is not madness sorcs. If a madness sorcs dots are major help then the other team was going to lose horribly anyway. Madness sorcs are one of the best classes for dmg on the chart, however they are not anywhere near being a good competitive pvp class. Dots look good on charts, burst looks good for winning. People like you made sorc boring and made me a sad panda.