Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Sniper with Armstech isn't working out so well

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Crew Skills
Sniper with Armstech isn't working out so well

Maurdiib
05.10.2012 , 11:34 PM | #1
I made a Sniper recently, and decided Armstech would be fun to learn from reading the description in the codex. However, Ive run into a snag. I'm level 20 and I cannot craft any purple variants of the schematics I have. Kaliyo has bonuses to Armstech Efficiency and Underworld Critical. She makes items faster, but does not yield purple components from missions. I've gotten to level 85 Investigation by doing only level 1 Rich Yield missions, yet I have not acquired a single piece of Nyasteel. It doesn't help that there isn't any listed on the three different GTN networks either.

What should I do? Just wait until I have more companions and hope for the best? Wait until I'm crafting level 30 items before I can start seeing benefits to Armstech? Am I just having bad luck? I've done dozens of missions and haven't had a single purple yield. It just doesn't seem right.

Sithhelmet
05.10.2012 , 11:48 PM | #2
Armstech uses Investigation for purple materials, not Underworld Trading.

Maurdiib
05.10.2012 , 11:49 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by Sithhelmet View Post
Armstech uses Investigation for purple materials, not Underworld Trading.
..and reading comprehension helps with posting relevant replies.

Tuhalu
05.10.2012 , 11:51 PM | #4
Part of the "problem" with the way crew skills work is that your critical rate is lower and your failure rate higher while working on orange, yellow and green missions. Your critical rate is also lower while your chosen companions affection is less than 10,000.

This is pretty harsh when you are starting a new character on a new account.

Doing Rich missions doesn't actually help you get more criticals (and thus more purples). I would recommend running missions that have gone grey for a higher chance of getting the purples. Those also tend to be the quicker missions, so you'll have more chances to get a critical result.

It's also a good idea to not worry too much about crafting purples until you have gotten your second companion (at the end of the dromund kaas since you are a sniper). That lets you quest and craft at the same time.

Maurdiib
05.10.2012 , 11:55 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Tuhalu View Post
Part of the "problem" with the way crew skills work is that your critical rate is lower and your failure rate higher while working on orange, yellow and green missions. Your critical rate is also lower while your chosen companions affection is less than 10,000.

This is pretty harsh when you are starting a new character on a new account.

Doing Rich missions doesn't actually help you get more criticals (and thus more purples). I would recommend running missions that have gone grey for a higher chance of getting the purples. Those also tend to be the quicker missions, so you'll have more chances to get a critical result.

It's also a good idea to not worry too much about crafting purples until you have gotten your second companion (at the end of the dromund kaas since you are a sniper). That lets you quest and craft at the same time.
Thank you very much. I posted this in General as well and got a couple similar replies. I'll try the greys/greens a bunch.

Also, I am aware of the affection bonus to crew skills. Thus, I sent enough gifts through the mail from my main to get her affection to 7,000 by the time I was level 10. I haven't noticed much of an increase in success, although it may have drastically reduced the time of missions.

NicWester
05.11.2012 , 12:02 AM | #6
It's +1% crit per 2000 affection. I don't know for sure if it's all or nothing, so I don't know if you're getting +3% or +3.5% for having 7000, but at the end of the day that half a percent isn't much of a deal.

Anyhow, in my personal opinion, the purpose of Armstech isn't to make purple weapons, it's to make blue barrels for an orange weapon every couple levels. Specifically the Skill barrel, since the ones you make will be a higher level than the ones you can buy with commendations. Oh, and for making Vibroknives because there are, like, NONE anywhere, ever, on any GTM on any server.

Oh, and blue barrels because you're going to upgrade every couple levels so there's no real need to spend the extra time to get a purple one. But, as I said, just my personal opinion.

Maurdiib
05.11.2012 , 12:11 AM | #7
Must be a server thing because I keep replacing my vibroknife every few levels; theres like 2 full pages of just them.

NicWester
05.11.2012 , 12:16 AM | #8
Weird. I did a search on Prophecy of the Five before logging off and found maybe six total.

Nureddin
05.11.2012 , 03:31 AM | #9
My main is a lvl 50 sniper with armstech, scavenging and research. So I will tell you about my experience. My first successful rifle was a blue lvl 19. Since then, I only use weapons made by Kaliyo.

I had trouble making weapons until I got more companions. You can't spare your Kaliyo during gameplay, so things are slow at earlier levels. My first purple was the lvl 25 sniper rifle, after this level I managed to get the purple rifle every 4 levels. For Kaliyo, Temple and Lokin, I got some purples blasters up to lvl 50, when I had money, so I kept them with blue pistols augmented when money was short.

Because of bad luck I spent a lot of money to make the lvl 33 and 41 sniper rifles (more than 20 blues burned). The others were "easier" to get

Selling weapons are not so easy, as you need sniper rifles and none uses them (except the companion Gaunt from BH, I think), they are hard to sell for good prices. The best selling weapons are Aim pistols, because of Bounty Hunters and Cunning Pistols for companions like Mako, Vette, Malavai, Andronikos, etc. I donīt think it is a good way to make money.

If your trouble is to get rare materials. The critical chance raises when you reach the superior tier of missions. So if you can make missions lvl2, lvl1 missions have a higher chance to get rare materials. The second option is to use craft missions recipes, they return rarer materials easier but are single use missions. Be prepared to farm craft missions with Reseach.

About barrels. I don't like them very much. I think it is easier to make a purple weapon than to make a purple barrel and look for the rest of the tiny mods elsewhere. I have a cybertech BH alt lvl 43, he uses the purple pistols I made, they are better than any other I can get in game. Gaunt uses purple rifle from sniper and Mako a blue pistol augmented or a purple pistol.

Reeny
05.11.2012 , 03:35 AM | #10
Personally, I dont think it's worth all the credits/research etc to make a Purple item at low levels.

You level up so fast and the purple items can get outdated quickly.
Just make up to a Blue item and it's almost as good as a purple.