Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

PvP 101: How To Become A Contender!

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
PvP 101: How To Become A Contender!

Lunez
05.12.2012 , 01:18 AM | #31
Quote: Originally Posted by Armelle View Post
This guide seems pretty elementary and not that useful.
Buying the most expensive pieces of Battlemaster first is wrong...buy the cheapest 4 pieces that get you your 2 set bonuses first. Then buy the cheapest pieces, generally.
Man, I should have written this guide.
I'm glad you think it's elementary, because it's designed for novice players. The experienced PvP'er should already know these things. What this does provide is a foundational platform to stand upon.

With all due respect, you're wrong about the mandatory purchase of cheapest pieces first. It really comes down to identifying your weakest link and biggest bang for your buck. I'm adding a section on this in the future and if you'd like to help edit/write portions of it, I would certainly welcome it.

If you want to identify portions of this guide that you want to write, please do so, and I would love to incorporate your knowledgebase with my own so that together, we can help increase the learning curve for the averge newb.

Quote: Originally Posted by OmySpy View Post
Being both informative and with a positive tone,
Thanks, the objective is to help use positive reinforcement to, as stated above, to increase the learning curve of the beginning PvPer, and to dispel common myths that keep people from moving forward.

Quote: Originally Posted by Superawesomerman View Post
good info, mang. Two links in sig to guides I wrote which might be applicable, slightly more in depth. dirty hate mongering imperials need not read!

Edit: its a warzone strategy guide, not a beginners guide, but whatever.
Thanks for the additions, I'll read them through and either incorporate snippets or link the guide accordingly. Thanks a bunch, friend.

Quote: Originally Posted by Heliwyr View Post
-Try to call out the healers on the other side. This really helps people focus on players that need to be consistently killed, CC'd, and otherwise annoyed out of their minds.
In addition to some of the other stuff you mentioned, I want to add a section dedicated to using markers. This is especially useful because now anyone in the group can use them, so you can mark the healers for insatnce and tell everyone in your group who to target, etc etc. All in due time. Trying to polish what we have before I add more chapters.

Lunez
05.12.2012 , 01:22 AM | #32
COMING SOON:
1) Section on ripping Mods (with YouTube videos to illustrate)
2) Section on what gear pieces to buy first depending on your class.
3) More Warzone Guides! (including YouTube videos)
4) Section dedicated to the use of markers (with pictures, videos, etc)
5) More YouTube stuff and pictures in general that will help illustrate.

Let me know what else to add. Think I'm missing a critical 101 tip or section of some sort? Want to suggest a specific skil that you believe to be worthy of it's own section? Let me know by submitting your suggestion!!

Please help us make this a sticky by adding the sticky request in your response.

THANKS!

Lunez
05.15.2012 , 11:00 AM | #33
Version: 1.13
UPDATED: 5-15-12

Aside from the below listed New/Updated items, I've also added some much needed cosmetic fixes, although there are still more cosmetic adjustments to be made in the future. You can also expect to see a great deal of more sections to be added within future updates. Enjoy!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1) Daillies, Commendations, and Valor
  1. Commendation Management <---UPDATED
2) Gearing up for Warzones <---UPDATED
  1. Level 1: Recruit
  2. Level 2: Battlemaster
  3. Level 3: War Hero
3) Expertise: What is it and what does it do? <----NEW

4) Joining a Guild
  1. Teamwork
5) Skills and Consumables
  1. Skill: Taunt
6) The DO's and DON'T's of PvP

7) Warzone Guides <---- UPDATED
  1. Hando's Civil War Guide
  2. Malissant's Civil War Guide
8) Conclusion
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

COMING SOON:
3) More Warzone Guides! (including YouTube videos)
5) More YouTube stuff and pictures in general that will help illustrate.

Let me know what else to add. Think I'm missing a critical 101 tip or section of some sort? Want to suggest a specific skil that you believe to be worthy of it's own section? Let me know by submitting your suggestion!!

Please help us make this a sticky by adding the sticky request in your response.

flem
05.15.2012 , 11:52 AM | #34
Your expertise chart is outdated.
Jedi Covenant | Formerly: Squadron 840; Shii-Cho | Bring back warzone Tauntauns!

Lunez
05.15.2012 , 12:00 PM | #35
Quote: Originally Posted by flem View Post
Your expertise chart is outdated.
Thank you so much for the update. I'll see about updating it asap. If you know of an updated chart somewhere, that would be great. Thanks again!

EDIT: Actually, the chart isnt all that outdated, as it shows the basic foundation of how the tier system works. I'm not sure anyone has put together an updated chart yet and so the current chart will stay, however I will add a notation within the OP stating that some of the tier levels have been adjusted according.

Thanks!

Lunez
05.15.2012 , 01:36 PM | #36
Version: 1.14
UPDATED: 5-15-12

*** Added a bunch of new Guides including YouTube footage of stuff that I thought might be useful to a newb looking to see some live warzone action.
*** Added more Recruit/Battlemaster gear stats such as prices, and other info.

1) Daillies, Commendations, and Valor
  1. Commendation Management
2) Gearing up for Warzones
  1. Level 1: Recruit <---UPDATED
  2. Level 2: Battlemaster <---UPDATED
  3. Level 3: War Hero
3) Expertise: What is it and what does it do?

4) Joining a Guild
  1. Teamwork
5) Skills and Consumables
  1. Skill: Taunt
6) The DO's and DON'T's of PvP

7) Warzone Guides <---UPDATED
  1. Hando's Civil War Guide
  2. Malissant's Civil War Guide
  3. Almar's Civil War Guide <---NEW
  4. Highcommander's Huttball Guide <---NEW
  5. Almar's Hutball Guide <---NEW
  6. Almar's Voidstar Guide <---NEW
  7. YouTube: The Holoterminal Ep. 10- SWTOR Warzone Tips - SWTOR Guides & News <---NEW
  8. YouTube: SWTOR - Warzone HuttBall PvP - Walkthrough <---NEW
  9. YouTube: SWTOR - Warzone HuttBall PvP - Walkthrough <---NEW
  10. YouTube: SWTOR - Warzone PvP Civil War - Walkthrough <---NEW
  11. YouTube: SWTOR - Warzone PvP Voidstar - Walkthrough <---NEW
8) Conclusion

COMING SOON:
3) Section dedicated to the use of markers (with pictures, videos, etc)
4) Section on stats specific to PvP

Namesis
05.16.2012 , 03:18 PM | #37
Thanks for putting the work in on this.

DarthPunitor
05.16.2012 , 03:24 PM | #38
can someone link me to a guide for marauder annihilation key binding? and maybe a decent ui?

thanks
"Honor is a lie, a chain that wraps itself around those foolish enough to accept it and drags them down to defeat."
-Gauntlet of Kresh- -The Tai Legacy- -Subutai - Punitor - Machiavelli - Davikk - Orda- Guild Website - Sister Guild Site

Lunez
05.16.2012 , 05:10 PM | #39
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthPunitor View Post
can someone link me to a guide for marauder annihilation key binding? and maybe a decent ui? thanks
COMING SOON:
1) Combat: How to defeat a specific class.
2) Section on ripping Mods (with YouTube videos to illustrate)
3) Section on what gear pieces to buy first depending on your class.
5) Section on stats specific to PvP

DarthPunitor
05.16.2012 , 06:13 PM | #40
Quote: Originally Posted by Lunez View Post
COMING SOON:
1) Combat: How to defeat a specific class.
2) Section on ripping Mods (with YouTube videos to illustrate)
3) Section on what gear pieces to buy first depending on your class.
5) Section on stats specific to PvP
...did that answer either of my questions?
"Honor is a lie, a chain that wraps itself around those foolish enough to accept it and drags them down to defeat."
-Gauntlet of Kresh- -The Tai Legacy- -Subutai - Punitor - Machiavelli - Davikk - Orda- Guild Website - Sister Guild Site