Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

PvP - What YOU should be doing in warzones

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
PvP - What YOU should be doing in warzones

TitusVorenus
05.07.2012 , 03:48 AM | #11
For Tanks:

Use Guard, and know who to use it on
It can be easy to forget to throw up a Guard on someone, but the benefits for both you and them are very important. You should always be guarding someone, even if it's just the first person you see when you respawn--but ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS switch your Guard to a healer whenever possible, and barring that place it on a DPS. Don't Guard another tank (supertanking almost never is worthwhile in PvP), with the sole exception being if they have the ball in Huttball.

Also remember that while Guard does mitigate some damage generally, it is vastly more effective when you are close to them.

You should be the most active player on the field
A lot of people think tanking is just "Stand and absorb damage". The truth is almost the exact opposite: you should be running around like mad as a tank. For example, if you're a Vanguard tank (as I am), don't just throw up Guard on the healer and stand around idly--use Storm to interrupt that BH spamming Tracer Missile, then use Harpoon to pull off the Healer attacking the Juggernaut, then throw a Cryo Grenade and a Sticky Grenade at that Operative with 7% health trying to sneak away. When in doubt, charge into a group of enemies and throw up Explosive Charge. Don't just stand there--ALWAYS DO SOMETHING, even if it's just the basic attack while running in circles.

Taunt, taunt, TAUNT
This is another thing that can be really easy to forget in the heat of battle: you should be constantly throwing out taunts. As soon as they're up, use them--they cost nothing and hugely help your teammates. In most cases it honestly doesn't even matter who you taunt because action tends to be so clustered around objective points--just use them on whoever you have targeted. Even better if you can use them on that Marauder ripping through the Commando healing you though.

Remember your goal usually isn't to kill the other guy, it's to survive long enough for reinforcements

This becomes really important on maps like Alderaan. When the battle is close, often it becomes necessary to leave just one person at a turret to try and cap another. First, that person should always be you--everyone else is squishier and healers are needed elsewhere. Use Probe Droids and even the occasional AOE attack in a random direction to try and get the jump on stealthers (don't waste your ammo though), and when you get attacked, the VERY FIRST THING YOU SHOULD DO IS TYPE "INC LEFT 2" or even just "LEFT". Does it take a half-second to do this? Yes, but it's the most important thing you can do--followed by the next most important thing, which is last long enough for help to arrive. Drag the battle out as long as you can with CC's, with LOSing, with judicious use of heals--even when outnumbered, if you work at it you can still usually last just long enough for someone else to show up. If you can kill the guy, great, but if your team has any competence they should be the ones doing the killing.
The Former Dalexeo Cobja of Starsider
Vorenus Faustus--Vanguard, Helm of Graush
Sygnus Faustus--Scoundrel, Helm of Graush
Vorbeck--Sniper, Ven Zallow

DarthMaulUK
05.07.2012 , 05:36 AM | #12
good stuff all - keep adding. If people have questions, feel free to post
to strive to seek, to find. And not to yield.

DarthMaulUK
05.08.2012 , 02:57 AM | #13
Keep adding your thoughts and ideas

Lazywombat
05.08.2012 , 04:13 AM | #14
Come on, this is just a game, ppl tend to "learn it by experience".

And for those who are serious about PVP, they have already learned that, why bother.

DarthMaulUK
05.08.2012 , 07:56 AM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by Lazywombat View Post
Come on, this is just a game, ppl tend to "learn it by experience".

And for those who are serious about PVP, they have already learned that, why bother.
People still like to win. If you work hard and lose - fine at least you gave it everything you got - but to lose because some players simply didnt use their noodle = no excuse.

The idea of this guide is to help players who are new, or dont understand some of the basics, so they dont make basic errors and can actually win by using their noodle(AKA brains)

chimex
05.08.2012 , 08:19 AM | #16
Another one for Voidstar:

When planting a bomb at the door, you DO NOT need 3 people to plant it!!!!!! The rest of the team mates need to guard that player from interuptions and stop AoE's from taking place.

You all get an attacker bonus from it, let ONE person plant the bomb while you defend him. The amount of times i see this makes my blood boil lol

x

ps: doesnt help when rolling VS puts me in a bad mood already lol
The Progenitor (RP): Shazmi:<Crimson Moon>

mercinarymaniac
05.08.2012 , 08:53 AM | #17
Good guide, this or something like it needs to be sticky.

xobobox
05.08.2012 , 09:02 AM | #18
I've got 2 lvl 50 characters, one is in full war hero gear. I'm saying I've played plenty of PvP. I still don't know what to call in void star on defense. Does left/right refer to the mini-map/attacker-spwwn perspective or defensive-spawn perspective?

I always call something but it seems like somewhat of a s!@# show.

I think the mini map should flip when on defense to correspond with your perspective from the respawn location.
Tic-Tacs
Tick-Tacks

snappah
05.08.2012 , 09:20 AM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by xobobox View Post
I've got 2 lvl 50 characters, one is in full war hero gear. I'm saying I've played plenty of PvP. I still don't know what to call in void star on defense. Does left/right refer to the mini-map/attacker-spwwn perspective or defensive-spawn perspective?

I think the mini map should flip when on defense to correspond with your perspective from the respawn location.
I run into this same problem over and over in WZs. I would suggest calling East and West. Left and Right are relative terms where as East and West are much more absolute terms and aren't based on perspective. Whether you are attacking or defending or just get spun around in the heat of battle West is always West and East is always East.

That's my two cents anyway. Lots of great tips in this thread. Would love to see this stickied.

AryiaLee
05.08.2012 , 09:32 AM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by xobobox View Post

I usually start calling it East and West because when the bombs are planted, one door is always east, one is always west (except the last two which are north and south)

From the Attacker side, East and West are in their normal positions, from the Defender side, its just reverse.

If you make it clear which door is East and which is West, you avoid the Left/Right confusion.
"You see fire crews fighting a fire. They are trying to put out the fire in the apartment building that the vehicle slammed into.."
"I get a bucket and toss water on it." -AryaSnow-