Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Please readjust Biochem in light of other changes.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Crew Skills
Please readjust Biochem in light of other changes.

05.05.2012 , 04:28 PM | #1
So let me start by saying, right off the bat, that I understand and agree with the various balance changes to Biochem from the start of the game until now. Bio was truly busted at launch and even with the changes made pre-1.2 it was still king of the crafts. But things changed with 1.2 and I feel it's time to remove one restriction:

Please remove the Biochem requirement on Reusable items. Bind them on pickup, of course, but take off the requirement of Biochem 400 for Rakata medpacs, stims, etc.

I know, I know, people are going to think I'm crazy but hear me out. Assume you're an Armormech and you craft yourself an entire set of custom gear--even crit on your gear for augment slots--now what? You can switch to any craft you want and keep your gear. As a Biochem you're locked in once you make that level of gear, switch and it goes to waste. So that's reason #1.

Reason #2 is that the stuff that locks you in isn't the best any longer. Exotech has been promoted above Rakata, so people would still be able to make money off the profession if they stuck with it.

So that's all I'm saying. I think the game has advanced to the point where restricting reusables to the profession is no longer necessary.

05.05.2012 , 06:03 PM | #2
That's actually quite valid

I should be an augment crafter from the get go....craft highest level augments for my char

then switch to armor, craft low level oranges

then switch to Bio.

I killed diplomacy 400 to 0......then I retrained it to 400 in 3 days...(having 5 comps to run missions)

05.05.2012 , 06:08 PM | #3
This is a good idea.

I also disagree with the one use per fight for medkits, keep the cool downs but that limitation makes no sense to me.

05.05.2012 , 06:36 PM | #4
How is completely destroying the market for Biochem consumables a good idea?

05.05.2012 , 10:10 PM | #5
I think biochem was gutted sufficiently. Leave what's left of it alone. If people are so hot and bothered for those perks they can level it after they make their orange augment stuff.
Never argue with a fool, he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

05.06.2012 , 01:43 AM | #6
i think it needs another nerf. I am still frustrated by all biochem users that have no trouble thanks to amazing reusables be it pvp or pve. And the adrenals = absolute biochem exclusive. No man in the right mind would be buying these of GTN.

05.06.2012 , 02:41 AM | #7
Blue grade medpack is FAR superior to the Rakata purple. i love pointing this out.
Not all Bounty Hunters die screaming like a 4 yr old girl.

05.06.2012 , 02:49 AM | #8
Biochem is fine. You guys are nuts if you want to waste 20-30k a pull in adrenals using Exotech ones.

Also, the blue medpacks are not strictly superior to Rakata one, the Rakata one does provide the 15% health boost which is quite nice. Either way, Rakata one is free, the blue ones are not and you can always have blue ones on hand and use whichever one is appropriate for the situation. Ditto Adrenals.

In other words, Biochem is fine.

05.06.2012 , 03:00 AM | #9
quoting myself from another thread:
Quote: Originally Posted by Wesgile View Post
if you really want reusables strictly for crafters only, would you like if if every other item has a time limit on it, after which it would be unusable?
see that augment-slotted armor? you can have it, but only for 24h, after that you need to buy another one. want a permanent one? go armormech.
see that augment-slotted weapon? you can have it, but only for 24h, after that you need to buy another one. want a permanent one? go armstech.
like it?
biochem geniuses should fully support this kind of system, to be fair for all other crafting skill and also since it "moves the economy" right?
otherwise, we are currently basically:
Quote: Originally Posted by mrfoughtforever View Post
How is completely destroying the market for Biochem consumables a good idea?
"Completely destroying the market for every other crafting skill."

there had been a discussion on another thread about actually reducing the consumables costs (by also alternatively increasing the yield of the consumable productions) so that consumables are actually worth consuming for.

05.06.2012 , 06:35 AM | #10
I feel like the goal with crew skills shouldnt be to level one and then drop it for another.