Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Refund for dead graphics card

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Customer Service
Refund for dead graphics card

big_malky
05.03.2012 , 06:31 PM | #11
Well, no. I just got the PC yesterday. Cooling case, Bulldozer 8 core, gtx 580 and cooling system. There's a lot of threads around with people complaining about the exact same issue. SWTOR burns out Nvidia cards almost instantly and collected factual evidence seems to prove it. It even burns them out in the exact same place for most... When you go through the character selection process.

I also meant severe... Don't pick up on a slight typo to try and prove superiority. It doesn't fly with me.

It's also a bad trait to defend a company's actions when it's not happening to you because I asssure you that when it does happen to you and it will at some point, you will be the one ranting.

I don't mean to come off as an idiot but if you don't have anything constructive to add or support then please leave the thread alone. The online community is full of part time trolls as it is thanks.

Silvanoshe
05.03.2012 , 06:48 PM | #12
HEy ive got something for you to read here

Indemnity. BY USING THE SOFTWARE, YOU HEREBY AGREE TO INDEMNIFY AND HOLD EA, ITS LICENSORS, AND EACH OF THEIR EMPLOYEES, PARTNERS, AFFILIATES, CONTRACTORS, OFFICERS, DIRECTORS AND AGENTS, HARMLESS AGAINST ANY CLAIM, LIABLITY, LOSS, INJURY DAMAGE, COST OR EXPENSE (INCLUDING REASONABLE ATTORNEYS’ FEES) INCURRED BY EA AND/OR ITS LICENSORS ARISING OUT OF OR FROM YOUR USE OF THE SOFTWARE OR THE GAME.

You agreed to this indemnity clause and there for will have no action in any legal sense

This mostly means that no mater what you cant touch bio ware for any reason what soever
What we do in life Echoes in the force

Snakeyees
05.03.2012 , 07:26 PM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by big_malky View Post
I would like to know if I can claim back the £24.99 that i paid for SWTOR. I purchased a desktop last week to play this on and after installing it yesterday, the graphics card died. Now I expect that if it was an old model PC without capabilities, I would not be so surprised but after reading about other people with dead Nvidia graphics cards, I think I am entitled to a full refund for the game.

Luckily, the retailers who sold me the PC were willing to replace the card free of charge but I will not be installing the game again which has been a waste of my money, not just to me but others as well.

Can I please see a moderator on this thread to discuss why there are so many issues relating to hardware damage due to SWTOR and maybe to sort out some sort of financial recompense before I decide to get enough disgruntled customers together to file a large civil lawsuit on Bioware and EA.

I do not go in for suing culture usually but this is costing people a lot of money and it's about time developers and publishers were made an example of for unfinished or potentially damaging software.
OMG LOL are you kidding me.
Asro Miraluka, Jedi Guardian Level 50 Veteran of Squadron 367 Server: Bergen Colony
--->.

Snakeyees
05.03.2012 , 07:32 PM | #14
Well, no. I just got the PC yesterday. Cooling case, Bulldozer 8 core, gtx 580 and cooling system. There's a lot of threads around with people complaining about the exact same issue. SWTOR burns out Nvidia cards almost instantly and collected factual evidence seems to prove it. It even burns them out in the exact same place for most... When you go through the character selection process.

I also meant severe... Don't pick up on a slight typo to try and prove superiority. It doesn't fly with me.

It's also a bad trait to defend a company's actions when it's not happening to you because I asssure you that when it does happen to you and it will at some point, you will be the one ranting.

I don't mean to come off as an idiot but if you don't have anything constructive to add or support then please leave the thread alone. The online community is full of part time trolls as it is thanks.

Really I have a Nvidia card I have been playing SINCE BETA and Yet its the same graphics card. the same one get a clue dude. I have repaired computers for over 25 years its not the game. I have played Every Major game since the Mid 90's. video games don't burn out cards. that's like saying Pigs can fly.

Is it possible that you just got a bad card? Yea that sounds more plausible. is it possible you got what you PAID for That is more likely. Buy an expensive card and you don't have problems. please go back to the play station.

and I'm not a troll i just cant stand people that spout misinformation or talk about stuff they have no clue about.
Asro Miraluka, Jedi Guardian Level 50 Veteran of Squadron 367 Server: Bergen Colony
--->.

Leggomy
05.03.2012 , 07:32 PM | #15
Again if you have never logged in they will look and see this. Then they will refund your money. I had a friend who bought the game but his computer wouldnt play it. He called them they refunded his money because he has never once even been able to login. If you have logged in then thats a bummer you are screwed.

theskurGe
05.03.2012 , 09:52 PM | #16
Sounds like malfunctioning/bad hardware, or inadequate cooling. If a game pushes your hardware to the point that it fails, then it is a hardware problem.
Several other games had this problem with nVidia cards, and it turned out to be sketchy nvidia drivers.
So you need to talk to nVidia, or whoever sold you your hardware.

Thefinaleofseem
05.04.2012 , 01:09 AM | #17

You have no idea what you're talking about. It is virtually IMPOSSIBLE for a game to be the cause of video card burnout. Games do not make hardware fail. Physical issues make hardware fail. Improper cooling, defective parts, etc. Did it occur to you that it was bad out of the box and failed as soon as you pushed the video card with a 3D game? System requirements are completely irrelevant. The bottom line is thus:

YOUR VIDEO CARD WAS BAD. THAT IS WHY IT BURNED OUT.

Blaming Bioware for this is beyond all bounds of ignorance. There is no factual evidence. If SWTOR is "burning out" Nvidia cards then the root of the problem is either with Nvidia for defective GPUs or with some of the manufacturers for defective cards. Period. Any game out there should be able to run any card at 100% and not burn it out. Why? Because video cards should be built to handle it. RMA the card, get it replaced, run SWTOR, have fun.

TheProthean
05.04.2012 , 01:16 AM | #18
my guess is he prob tried overclocking his pc and failed at it haha

Psychedelico
05.04.2012 , 01:19 AM | #19
My graphic card was over heating(90C) when I played the game and I was thinking I was going to have to get a new card. I had all my game settings on low and my fan setting maxed. What solved the heating issue was clicking the option "vertical sync". now my card is at a nice 32C
Officer of the guild Orange Pixel.
Remember when you seen that orange pixel and cursed cause you thought it was a dead pixel.

Sunhed
05.04.2012 , 01:47 AM | #20
Mate, it was NOT the software that killed your hardware.
Either you did not get the hardware you paid for, or you got a bad piece of hardware.

Yes, SW:TOR runs cards hot, probably hotter than necessary...
but
cards have limiters built in to stop them being damaged, unless the installer messes with them,
or you messed with them, they will normally shutdown or BSOD before damage occurs.

You mention cooling system,
do you mean liquid cooling,
like what you would put on an overclocked rig?

My GTX560 ran very hot for SW:TOR, but it was stable, and inside operating parameters,
I didn't like the noise and put an Arctic Cooler on the GPU/VRAM, nice and cool and quiet now.
It's not SW:TOR, it's dodgy hardware, or just bad luck,
not SW:TOR.