Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Refund for dead graphics card

big_malky
05.03.2012 , 05:56 PM | #1
I would like to know if I can claim back the £24.99 that i paid for SWTOR. I purchased a desktop last week to play this on and after installing it yesterday, the graphics card died. Now I expect that if it was an old model PC without capabilities, I would not be so surprised but after reading about other people with dead Nvidia graphics cards, I think I am entitled to a full refund for the game.

Luckily, the retailers who sold me the PC were willing to replace the card free of charge but I will not be installing the game again which has been a waste of my money, not just to me but others as well.

Can I please see a moderator on this thread to discuss why there are so many issues relating to hardware damage due to SWTOR and maybe to sort out some sort of financial recompense before I decide to get enough disgruntled customers together to file a large civil lawsuit on Bioware and EA.

I do not go in for suing culture usually but this is costing people a lot of money and it's about time developers and publishers were made an example of for unfinished or potentially damaging software.

MahBo
05.03.2012 , 06:02 PM | #2
lol
<-- The **** is this?
Quote: Originally Posted by MishraArtificer View Post
Also, MahBo? That weapon in your sig (Weapon 15) is actually the scanner device your companions use when harvesting crafting material nodes.
Looks like it's a tool used by my companions to harvest sugar cane with.

DecanAndersen
05.03.2012 , 06:07 PM | #3
As far as i know, its standard for any software to state in the agreement you say yes too, before installing.
That they have no obligations or responsibly for hardware failure or damage.
And as i said, you click YES to this before you click INSTALL...
<> The Red Eclipse <>
<> Décan <> LvL 50 <> Jedi Shadow <>
<> Decan <> LvL 50 <> Jedi Sentinel <>
<> Décán <> LvL 50 <> Jedi Guardian <>

big_malky
05.03.2012 , 06:16 PM | #4
The fact that there are so many issues and that Bioware/EA do not state that there are sever issues before you click YES, is a terrible form of customer service. If you buy any other item and it does not work, causes damage or is faulty then under consumer rights it has been sold as a faulty good and therefore, checkbox or no, it is redeemable under the six month rule that states ANY item is returnable and refundable.

It is bad practice and the agreements need to be changed or transparent that these issues are widely prevalent.

big_malky
05.03.2012 , 06:18 PM | #5
Oh yes... And I'm not asking them to replace my graphics card. I'm asking for a refund on the game that I can't bloody play when it should work with the system requirements..

DecanAndersen
05.03.2012 , 06:19 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by big_malky View Post
The fact that there are so many issues and that Bioware/EA do not state that there are sever issues before you click YES, is a terrible form of customer service. If you buy any other item and it does not work, causes damage or is faulty then under consumer rights it has been sold as a faulty good and therefore, checkbox or no, it is redeemable under the six month rule that states ANY item is returnable and refundable.

It is bad practice and the agreements need to be changed or transparent that these issues are widely prevalent.
Server issues? Or did you mean several issues?
Its MMO, there will always be issues, until they shut down.
But CSR will properly tell you to call them about this.
<> The Red Eclipse <>

Leggomy
05.03.2012 , 06:19 PM | #7
If you havent logged in they will refund your money.

Brodysmith
05.03.2012 , 06:23 PM | #8
Id be mad if the game killed some of my hardware also, but I think you have a lost cause here. There is no way you can prove the game caused it, and the Terms of Service probably protect them from this stuff.

Many companies have things like that in their Terms of Service...just like movie rental companies have protection against people trying to sue the company for a DVD apparently breaking the DVD player somehow.

Ristle
05.03.2012 , 06:24 PM | #9
I'm going to assume you need a better computer case if you managed to melt your current one, same with most people.

My PC overheated and I had to replace some parts due to my case not having enough cooling (playing a different game). First thing I did was laugh at myself for being such a chump and ordered a new case.

Why does everyone immediately blame other people now? If you ran a game that pushes your computer graphically and didn't monitor the temperature of your computer, that should be your fault and not theirs.

But honestly, even if you don't reinstall SWTOR, you need a new case if this game caused you to melt. Also get a PC Professional to check your BIOS setting for heat warning shutoffs. If it's not that, you were sent a faulty card anyway.
"Use the force, Luke" - Qui-Gon Jinn, Jedi Council

Ronín : Tomb of Freedon Nadd
Recruitment Thread | Guild Website

DecanAndersen
05.03.2012 , 06:28 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Ristle View Post
I'm going to assume you need a better computer case if you managed to melt your current one, same with most people.

My PC overheated and I had to replace some parts due to my case not having enough cooling. First thing I did was laugh at myself for being such a chump and ordered a new case.

Why does everyone immediately blame other people now? If you ran a game that pushes your computer graphically and didn't monitor the temperature of your computer, that should be your fault and not theirs.

But honestly, even if you don't reinstall SWTOR, you need a new case if this game caused you to melt. Also get a PC Professional to check your BIOS setting for heat warning shutoffs. If it's not that, you were sent a faulty card anyway.
Well, he did say that his computer was within the system requirements of the game.
<> The Red Eclipse <>