Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Questionable billing security

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Customer Service
Questionable billing security

skywise
12.17.2011 , 12:51 PM | #1
So I tried plugging in my pre-order code into my account so I would be ready for launch day, I have been playing the early-release and thought I would plug the product code in early from my Origin digital purchase now so I could avoid any interruption.
I went to my Origin account, pulled up game details, got the product code, noticed that it had logged the purchase date as well (9/20/11) and went into my account at SWTOR.com and entered in the number only to get a message saying that the code was already in use. I contact Origin to figure out what the issue was. Well after an hour this is what it boiled down to:

Apparently the fraud team triggered an investigation for no logged reason, found nothing wrong and cancelled the order with no notice or reason, Origin did not update that the order was no good and kept telling me that I had SWTOR. After some questioning the CSR revealed that they do not keep any records of who triggers a cancellation or order, do not record reasons or the person who makes modifications to the account or card numbers.

I understand that EA does not itself even take the orders, they have a third party company that does it and apparently they do not track anything, in a situation like this it is a simple inconvenience, money was not taken but what happens when the numbers get compromised or someone order a bunch of stuff on someone elses accounts? that is money stolen and they will have no records, and if an internal fraud trigger can be automatically created (I do not believe this BTW) and can cancel orders or billing cycles with no notice, reason or accountability what is to keep it from happening over and over again during a subscription period?

Unfortunately with the amount of hackers that have stolen CC and bank account info from large highly secured firms this worries me a lot that something like this can happen in what will likely be a very popular venue.

billyarghbones
12.17.2011 , 12:54 PM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by skywise View Post
So I tried plugging in my pre-order code into my account so I would be ready for launch day, I have been playing the early-release and thought I would plug the product code in early from my Origin digital purchase now so I could avoid any interruption.
I went to my Origin account, pulled up game details, got the product code, noticed that it had logged the purchase date as well (9/20/11) and went into my account at SWTOR.com and entered in the number only to get a message saying that the code was already in use. I contact Origin to figure out what the issue was. Well after an hour this is what it boiled down to:

Apparently the fraud team triggered an investigation for no logged reason, found nothing wrong and cancelled the order with no notice or reason, Origin did not update that the order was no good and kept telling me that I had SWTOR. After some questioning the CSR revealed that they do not keep any records of who triggers a cancellation or order, do not record reasons or the person who makes modifications to the account or card numbers.

I understand that EA does not itself even take the orders, they have a third party company that does it and apparently they do not track anything, in a situation like this it is a simple inconvenience, money was not taken but what happens when the numbers get compromised or someone order a bunch of stuff on someone elses accounts? that is money stolen and they will have no records, and if an internal fraud trigger can be automatically created (I do not believe this BTW) and can cancel orders or billing cycles with no notice, reason or accountability what is to keep it from happening over and over again during a subscription period?

Unfortunately with the amount of hackers that have stolen CC and bank account info from large highly secured firms this worries me a lot that something like this can happen in what will likely be a very popular venue.
Hmm, my understanding is the Origin emails you a separate code than the pre-order code for registeration with SW:TOR. The pre-order code has nothing to do with the actual game code. If you enter the pre-order code it says you already have the code redeemed (which makes sense, hence you are playing in early access/beta). Once they send you the real game code, you put that in, then you have access to the subscription options.

View it as:

Pre-order/Beta Code - Virtual code to let you play beta and early access
Registration Code - The code that would be on the physical box if you got it that way.

Update: The registration code usually comes a few days before the game is out. I got my yesterday, my wife hasn't received hers yet.

skywise
12.17.2011 , 04:10 PM | #3
the issue isn't the code, it's the fact that their system randomly creates fraud alerts and cancels billing no matter what the result is without tracking who was involved at all, the same system handles purchases and accounts, if it doesn't monitor or track who is involved it would take them a while to even figure out if the system is compromised. the code was simply how I discovered this.