Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Chat Bubbles: We need an option to enable them for say, yell and emote chat!

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion > Suggestion Box
Chat Bubbles: We need an option to enable them for say, yell and emote chat!
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Glzmo
12.17.2011 , 09:40 AM | #1
Click here to read the first Unread reply to this topic
Chat Bubbles: Please add speech bubbles and a toggle option to enable them for /say, /yell and /emote chat!
Originally posted December 17, 2011.
Last Updated March 17, 2014. <- 27 months - that's right well over 2 years - with hundreds of pages and thousands of posts/views in support and still going strong and mostly floating on top or near the top of the Suggestion Box forum with more and more players supporting the cause every day make this the longest running active thread on the forums - Thank you!

Introduction
Dear developers and other employees of Bioware, Lucas Arts, Disney and Electronic Arts!

A large part of the player base can't enjoy the game properly because of the lack of chat bubbles (aka speech bubbles). Therefore, on behalf of the affected players, we are hereby suggesting and formally requesting an option to toggle chat bubbles for spatial chat (/say, /yell, /emote).
This thread has started in beta shortly after chat bubbles were removed from the game for "optimization", reposted after the forum wipe and has now run an incredibly long amount of time while still remaining constructive and has garnered a lot of support ever since.

Fact is, chat bubbles make a big difference in the perception of human presence around the player in the game. With chat bubbles the chat text is strongly associated with the likeness of the player's character that you're talking to, leading to a much richer (and more natural) form of social environment. The game world simply feels too sterile and lonely without them.
One could say that chat bubbles are for the roleplaying and social aspects of the game what the group finder is for the PVE aspect and the warzone queing and the galactic starfigther hangar interfaces are for the PVP aspect. These three have been implemented a long time ago, yet players of the social and roleplaying aspects have never received their equivalent - speech/chat bubbles.

A large part of the player base, and an even larger part of the potential player base (and the player base that left the game because the feature has been missing so long and wish to return once it's implemented) needs an option to toggle on chat bubbles. Indeed, chat bubbles are a "must-have" feature to be able to enjoy the game and their playstyle for many of the socializers, roleplayers, casual players as well as players suffering from certain medical conditions out there. People are leaving the game every day due to this feature missing. On the bright side, many have voiced interest to return once the feature is implemented...but the longer it takes, the easier it will be to loose them permanently.

Even simple chat bubbles or overhead text for /say, /yell and /emote chat would go a long way:

Bare Minimum Implementation
The following is the Bare Minimum Implementation that a large part of the player base feels to be a must-have and most would feel comfortable with:

• Add chat bubbles (or, at the very, very least overhead chat text) with all the typed text in /say, /yell and /emote chat channels to appear above the head of the player characters that are saying it (above the head of other player characters as well as your own), in addition to the same text being displayed in the chat window.
  • Add a client-side option to toggle chat bubbles on/off on each computer individually so people can choose whether they wish to see chat bubbles above player characters' heads or not.

Additional Community Suggestions
The following are additional suggestions by players in this thread which would improve the experience even more and could be added after the bare minimum implementation detailed above has made it into the game. They are some of the ideas the community has come up with on how to design and implement chat bubbles really well (click on the button labeled SHOW below to view).
Spoiler

Reasons: Why Chat bubbles?
The following is a short summary of the reasons why chat bubbles should be implemented.
Spoiler

Related Links
The following are hyperlinks related to the topic of chat bubbles (click on the button labeled SHOW below to view).
Spoiler

Media Articles about the lack of Chat bubbles
The following are articles from various media on the topic of missing chat bubbles in Star Wars: The Old Republic (click on the button labeled SHOW below to view).
Spoiler

Timeline of Official statements by Bioware on the topic of Chat Bubbles
Would you like to know what exactly the developers and other Bioware representatives said about chat bubbles? This is the place (click on the button labeled SHOW below to view)!
The following is a timeline with quotes from various official non-beta statements of TOR developers and other Bioware representatives on the topic of chat bubbles including links to the statements where available (click on the button labeled SHOW below to view).
Spoiler

Original Post from the Beta Forums
A quote of the old, prose version of the original post that started it all and was first posted in the TOR Beta Forums back in Summer 2011 for those that like to read it (click on the button labeled SHOW below to view).
Spoiler

PS.: The development team will receive cupcakes once chat bubbles are in the game. The longer they wait, the older the cupcakes get. So hurry up, it's for your own good!

Orvish
12.17.2011 , 09:42 AM | #2
I was unaware of any performance issues that tied into chat bubbles, but regardless I would dearly love a toggle option. It feels extremely weird not having them after playing other MMOs for so many years.

Cave
12.17.2011 , 12:02 PM | #3
The developers said during beta that adding chat bubbles for spatial chat was a high priority feature for launch. I am baffled as to why they haven't delivered.

All I know is that without chat bubbles, it's incredibly hard to talk to other players near you and not fun at all. I can't socialize and roleplay with other players (I tried hard, but it didn't work).

For me, chat bubbles are an important feature. I want to keep track of the action in the game and see which character talks right away. I am a roleplayer and roleplaying with others while questing and doing other game things is almost impossible because there are no chat bubbles (I tried very hard, but it just doesn't work).
I always miss most of the things people type in /say, /yell and /emote chat, the chat window moves too fast at times, too and it's hard to see which character on the screen is speaking or to link the chat to the characters on the screen. I want to focus on the game, not on the chat window.

I have pre-ordered the Collector's Edition, but if there won't be any chat bubbles at least announced in the next couple of days, I will cancel the pre-order and not play the game until chat bubbles are added. They are just that important for my enjoyment of the game to me. And I really, really want to have fun when playing SWTOR.
I've cancelled my subscription due to the lack of Chat Bubbles.
I will never give EA or Bioware another cent or play any of their games or use any of their software again until speech bubbles that fully display /say, /yell and /emote chat are implemented in Star Wars: The Old Republic and the needs of socializers and roleplayers are finally taken seriously.

Stubacca
12.19.2011 , 06:50 AM | #4
This is pretty much a standard feature of ANY modern MMORPG. I probably won't continue playing past my free month if chat bubbles or at least overhead text has been implemented. It is a crucial feature for my style of play and pretty much necessary for any kind of social interaction between players. I can't understand how an MMORPG that is supposed to be the most modern doesn't have anything like that in the game at launch already.
Add Wookiees as playable species (solution to voice over problem: MT-D Miniaturized Translator Droid!
SUBSCRIPTION WON'T BE RENEWED due to the lasting lack of CHAT BUBBLES and how long-term subcribers are treated by EA/Bioware.

Oooz
12.19.2011 , 06:55 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Stubacca View Post
This is pretty much a standard feature of ANY modern MMORPG. I probably won't continue playing past my free month if chat bubbles or at least overhead text has been implemented. It is a crucial feature for my style of play and pretty much necessary for any kind of social interaction between players. I can't understand how an MMORPG that is supposed to be the most modern doesn't have anything like that in the game at launch already.
its not a standard feature, in fact not many mmo's have this feature and thats a relief, bloody hate chat bubbles appearing everywhere. totaly no need for them.

Xerda
12.19.2011 , 06:56 AM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Oooz View Post
its not a standard feature, in fact not many mmo's have this feature and thats a relief, bloody hate chat bubbles appearing everywhere. totaly no need for them.
I hate chat bubbles too. It's just another form of spam.

So as long as they introduce it with an option to disable. I'll be happy
Help me, Bio-Ware Support; you're my only hope.

Nighenhale
12.19.2011 , 06:59 AM | #7
I really hope they will add this option soon, I tend to go chatblind at times so this would help me a lot. It's right up there with the ability to scale/adjust the interface for me.

smellymetal
12.19.2011 , 07:01 AM | #8
100% agreed. I ended up not talking at all in the game...and I think 'RP people' need them. It would be nice to create an option so you can display them or not. But not having them at all is completely stupid IMHO

Aleeha
12.19.2011 , 07:01 AM | #9
I personally do not care for chat bubbles as I do not like the spam from them in the middle of my screen. I realize that it may be a feature for RP but honestly if you have more than 1 or 2 people chatting at the same time, THAT becomes tedious too.

I would say that with all the other more serious issues with the game in regards to stability, performance, scalability, ect. that this is a feature that can easily wait until the next major patch.

Spankya
12.19.2011 , 07:01 AM | #10
I hope they add this too. On various occassions I've used /say and people just dont see it. Chat bubbles help so much, please add them.