Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Languages, how does everyone understand them all?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Languages, how does everyone understand them all?

CJ_SAX_MAN
04.05.2012 , 04:50 PM | #1
How does everyone in this era understand all those different languages that are out there? I don't understand how every person could be expected to learn those many languages. Any lore references on this? I mean especially ones like droid beeping, and wookie-growling.
Sarthist, Jedi Guardian Guild: Inferno Server: The Fatman
Please help me get Bioware to make my guide into a "sticky"
Guide for players on weak computers: http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=383030

Cathulhu
04.05.2012 , 04:57 PM | #2
My favorite part is when my character is talking to an npc that is speaking in another language. They obviously both understand each other, but choose to speak different languages in conversation. Silly
Nerazim - The One Percent - Hyperspace Cannon

CJ_SAX_MAN
04.05.2012 , 05:10 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by Cathulhu View Post
My favorite part is when my character is talking to an npc that is speaking in another language. They obviously both understand each other, but choose to speak different languages in conversation. Silly
I can kind of understand that cause if you study just listening to languages, you can learn to understand them much easier than to actually speak them. And as some alien languages would be impossible to speak of other races, Galactic Basic (English) is impossible to speak for some other races.

But still way too many languages to learn typically
Sarthist, Jedi Guardian Guild: Inferno Server: The Fatman
Please help me get Bioware to make my guide into a "sticky"
Guide for players on weak computers: http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=383030

StarryCiel
04.05.2012 , 05:15 PM | #4
Mini-translators on their person. Don't know how they work, but that's that. Mass Effect mentioned it once.
The Nabaat Legacy
The Ebon Hawk

Captain_Zone
04.06.2012 , 09:25 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by StarryCiel View Post
Mini-translators on their person. Don't know how they work, but that's that. Mass Effect mentioned it once.
Star Trek did it first with the "Universal Translator".

Some, like Han Solo, can understand Shyriiwook and Rodian without the need for a translator.
. OPOD
Shivalka: Darth Baras is quite large, isn't he?
Joran Karn: You, my dear Sith, have just mastered the art of understatement.

Guildrum
04.06.2012 , 09:50 AM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Captain_Zone View Post
Star Trek did it first with the "Universal Translator".

Some, like Han Solo, can understand Shyriiwook and Rodian without the need for a translator.
I suppose that being a Smuggler, he will deal with all kinds of outlaws and people like that, many of whom will be Wookiees and Rodians. Not to mention, his copilot was a Wookiee, so I am sure he learned a bit from Chewbacca.

I have only heard a few in-game.

Basic (You know, English. :P)
Huttese
Shyriiwook
Droidese
Rodian?

Overall, there are two main languages spoken and some small regional/special dialects in the game.
The Shaffer Legacy: Begeren Colony

Shaffer Lazy-eye Horace Sleth
Journalist, Pirate Bodyguard Sith

Mangese
04.06.2012 , 10:52 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by CJ_SAX_MAN View Post
How does everyone in this era understand all those different languages that are out there? I don't understand how every person could be expected to learn those many languages. Any lore references on this? I mean especially ones like droid beeping, and wookie-growling.
One word . . . .
Spoiler

Mezla
04.08.2012 , 01:12 AM | #8
Magic.

Timo
04.08.2012 , 01:26 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by CJ_SAX_MAN View Post
Actually not everyone does, just every Player. There are not so many languages, the most spoken after basic is Huttese. Im Pretty sure the most Individuals who live in the SW Universum speak, or does understand them both. With Rhodian, Wookies, Ithorians and Droids its a bit more complex but the Player Charackter (Sith, Jedi, Elite Soldier, Smuggler, Bountyhunter and Agents) arent average people at all, so they maybe just figured out that it would be useful to learn them.

But i will never understand why my Smuggler speaks and understands the language of the Rakata...
I mean DA***?

Quote: Originally Posted by StarryCiel View Post
Something like that doesnt exist in the SW Universe

Calestra_dD
04.08.2012 , 01:51 AM | #10
Czerka translators, I believe. Everyone has implants or ear pieces, and I just assume it translate it for them. Like Star Trek, or Doctor Who's TARIS.