Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

why do people think that finding a guild would resolve the "community problem"?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Community Content
why do people think that finding a guild would resolve the "community problem"?

Tsaritsin's Avatar


Tsaritsin
04.05.2012 , 01:03 AM | #11
Guilds don't build community, they destroy Community,

The Guild becomes nothing more than a great big imaginary protective barrier, thrown up in a desperate attempt at protection from the great unwashed masses, a shield against the horde.

The only reason the dev's of any MMO, not just this one, want you in a Guild is because they know this -

People in Guilds are less likely to quit,

The obligation they feel towards the Guild keeps them playing, and keeps them paying long after the fun has gone.

Blizzard have been exploiting this for years, and with the advent of Cata and all its Guild based perks, that exploitation has become so extreme that it's not even worth playing the Game unless your in a Guild.

"I am suffering from a cascade failure,
The flaws in my ENGINE are multiplying exponentially,
And my Death is inevitable, I am not worth mourning."

SWTOR, Chamber of Speech, HEROIC 2+

ConradLionhart's Avatar


ConradLionhart
04.05.2012 , 01:08 AM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by Tsaritsin View Post
Guilds don't build community, they destroy Community,

The Guild becomes nothing more than a great big imaginary protective barrier, thrown up in a desperate attempt at protection from the great unwashed masses, a shield against the horde.

The only reason the dev's of any MMO, not just this one, want you in a Guild is because they know this -

People in Guilds are less likely to quit,

The obligation they feel towards the Guild keeps them playing, and keeps them paying long after the fun has gone.

Blizzard have been exploiting this for years, and with the advent of Cata and all its Guild based perks, that exploitation has become so extreme that it's not even worth playing the Game unless your in a Guild.

Pretty sure if you don't want to join a guild, you don't have to. Why you want to hate on people who want to be in guilds is beyond me.
Level 50 Jedi Guardian

Expanded Companion System
http://www.swtor.com/community/showp...6&postcount=28

Darth_Moonshadow's Avatar


Darth_Moonshadow
04.05.2012 , 01:12 AM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by Tsaritsin View Post
Guilds don't build community, they destroy Community,

The Guild becomes nothing more than a great big imaginary protective barrier, thrown up in a desperate attempt at protection from the great unwashed masses, a shield against the horde.

The only reason the dev's of any MMO, not just this one, want you in a Guild is because they know this -

People in Guilds are less likely to quit,

The obligation they feel towards the Guild keeps them playing, and keeps them paying long after the fun has gone.

Blizzard have been exploiting this for years, and with the advent of Cata and all its Guild based perks, that exploitation has become so extreme that it's not even worth playing the Game unless your in a Guild.

If that were true, why doesn't everyone make a one man guild?

/PinkiePieshrug
Quote: Originally Posted by BruceMaclean View Post

And I love Darth Moonshadow's responses.
B

YouYongku's Avatar


YouYongku
04.05.2012 , 01:19 AM | #14
Hi guys,

thanks for your responses.

I was referring to my WOW experiences.

as for SWTOR, I never group with my guidies before.
Remember reading when one of the junior members asked if they can join them when they hit 50, they did mention about minimum equipment requirements.

once we got into the same WZ, had "OMG *** your HP so low" comments.
kinda demoralized but I understood, I couldnt do much damage or tank longer than they could, so I just be the team player in WZ.

I only run FP with my real friends before I hit 50, we're all from different guilds whom we dont play or party with our guildies.

Seems like most of the remaining players in SWTOR who didnt leave, are already in the end-game guildies.
Only could hasten up and buy some battlemaster equip soon

This is actually in response to people who said NO to LFG Tool, and guilds can actually resolve all these.



Can guilds really resolve the community problem?



some servers dont even have more than 5 people on fleet.

Jandi's Avatar


Jandi
04.05.2012 , 01:28 AM | #15
Dead servers are dead. Nothing anyone can do about it really. You can either keep making alts and wait for merges/transfer or you reroll.

ironmb's Avatar


ironmb
04.05.2012 , 01:38 AM | #16
Any guild that says any of that, as they say "end game raiding" guild, is terrible. There is no end game on SWTOR, PVE is so easy my entire guild did it in full Battlemaster PVP gear. This game is 100% for casuals.

Samborino's Avatar


Samborino
04.05.2012 , 01:52 AM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by YouYongku View Post
Even you can find a guild, if you are not well equipped (with 18k HP and above), you will get a special treatment from your members.

Since the members here always reference WOW, I shall too.

When you join their guild, they'll ask you to get to max level to play with them.
When you hit the max level, they'll ask you to quickly get your item level higher to play heroics together.
When you reach the item level, they'll ask you to quickly be fully equipped with all the heroics item before they play with you.
And when you do, they tell you that you have no raiding experience with them, go get some

Similarly here, very seldom would the guildies wanna play with you if your HP is not their desired amount.

Ninjas and angsty people will cease to exist regardless of any game and generation.
Thats totally wrong from my experience, first of all you can raise your item level high enough for Hard mode flashpoints by simply running dailies and modding out your gear with the epic mods, im a guild leader and i always have said that if a player isnt willing to take the time to do that solo content to get the gear then im not going to take the time to carry them through a hard mode flashpoint or a normal operation.

Even so though, normal mode EV was made to be done in greens and blues it is tuned for fresh 50's and is easier than HM FP's for the most part. I will gladly start a second group in my guild on a raiding day to take fresh 50's through EV if they just hit 50 recently and havent had time to do dailies yet, its a very easy way to gear players up, sure if your trying to join a hardcore progression guild i could see it being the way you say but 90% of guilds are alot more casual then that.

It sounds like you expect to be running hard mode operations with your guild without having taken the time to do anything else and your mad that they wont take you to be honest. We do the same thing unless we are short on players , but at the same time we will gladly run them through the normal mode operations later on that night or on another day of the week, most guilds want to see their members geared especially with the new content coming soon, if your guild isnt helping you in that way find another one because their are plenty that will.

Samborino's Avatar


Samborino
04.05.2012 , 01:54 AM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by Tsaritsin View Post
Guilds don't build community, they destroy Community,

The Guild becomes nothing more than a great big imaginary protective barrier, thrown up in a desperate attempt at protection from the great unwashed masses, a shield against the horde.

The only reason the dev's of any MMO, not just this one, want you in a Guild is because they know this -

People in Guilds are less likely to quit,

The obligation they feel towards the Guild keeps them playing, and keeps them paying long after the fun has gone.

Blizzard have been exploiting this for years, and with the advent of Cata and all its Guild based perks, that exploitation has become so extreme that it's not even worth playing the Game unless your in a Guild.

Haha thats actually true, i love this game but some things about the end game piss me off (end game gear progression for PVE) and ive thought about quitting but being a co guild leader on top of inviting friends to play on my server and join my guild within the past month leaves me feeling far to guilty to quit this game anytime soon lol.

Darth_Moonshadow's Avatar


Darth_Moonshadow
04.05.2012 , 01:58 AM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by ironmb View Post
Any guild that says any of that, as they say "end game raiding" guild, is terrible. There is no end game on SWTOR, PVE is so easy my entire guild did it in full Battlemaster PVP gear. This game is 100% for casuals.
Isn't it great? You can come in, pick up the game and play at any moment. You're never too far from reaching the rest of the playerbase.

It's a great boon to everyone who does not have time to play anymore, what with work and families and all that.
Quote: Originally Posted by BruceMaclean View Post

And I love Darth Moonshadow's responses.
B

Samborino's Avatar


Samborino
04.05.2012 , 02:16 AM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by Darth_Moonshadow View Post
Isn't it great? You can come in, pick up the game and play at any moment. You're never too far from reaching the rest of the playerbase.

It's a great boon to everyone who does not have time to play anymore, what with work and families and all that.
Even with work and families, a player that plays less should realise that he will progress slower, its just like anything in life the more time you put in the more you get out of it. In mmo's obviously there is a cap on the time you put in as eventually you will outpace the content, the difference is that in most mmo's its a very small percentage and only the most hardcore of hardcore that outpace the content, in this game anyone who plays 10 or so hours a week at top level can easily outpace the content in a month tops (thats for gear progression, in terms of outpacing the game by beating all of its content, well that can happen in a matter of weeks and thats including the different difficulty settings, if you dont include that then its a matter of days) We beat normal EV on our first try in my guild with 3-4 wipes , a wipe on the first boss and then a few wipes on SOA. That should never happen i dont care at what difficulty setting it should just never happen.

We are by most definitions a very casual guild, no one is obliged to show up and we raid when people do show up, we clear all the content on hard mode in 1 night with 1 or 2 wipes and we are done for the week, after your geared up in columi that is all their is to do in terms of character progression for a PVE player, log on once a week for 3-4 hours clear all the content and your done. Im pretty much completely done anyways, i think i need 1 piece of loot right now its rakata offhand, and i would have had it weeks ago probably if me and my guild had noticed sooner that master looter caused items not to drop in hard mode (fixed now) we probably ran 3 weeks worht of raids without realizing that or realising and not knowing the solution, derp!