Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Why u no Teamwork?

TalkingDinosaur
04.02.2012 , 10:41 PM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by Psychocath View Post
I'd pin it down to one of two things:

- Either people are shy and actually need a bit of a nudge via General Chat before you can actually interact with them and do fun stuff like Heroics or Flashpoints, or;

- They're the antisocial solo-players who are killing off the multiplayer aspect of MMOs everywhere
Have you played WoW by any chance?
TALKINGDINOSAUR
Squadron
11-11-11

Psychocath
04.02.2012 , 11:07 PM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by TalkingDinosaur View Post
Have you played WoW by any chance?
As a matter of fact, yes! And in my honest opinion, it's still THE most inaccessible MMO community out there due to the fact that nobody bloody talks to one another in-game and the more active guilds had completely ridiculous 'entry requirements'. No hope for small talk that wasn't peppered with stat-jargon outside of the forums, and on the forums there's still epic QQ over Pandas. It's a damn shame too because I actually enjoy the game insofar as the lore and combat, just hate the attitudes of the players and their lack of drive to partake in some fun co-op with people outside their tight-knit cliques.

Community without real communication? Madness.
That's no moon.

I fought the CE and the CE won.

Darnu
04.03.2012 , 12:03 AM | #13
coz you can't emote while mounted to break the ice when you see someone

but seriously * half the time you're in a cutscene where you can't see your chat so any conversations get cut off * people are too busy being all immersed and have no time for other people * they're working on solo content to unlock transport to points near group content * they're new to the server and are so overwhelmed by the 20-25 people (which I don't think I've ever seen past Alderaan) they take it for granted that when they're looking for people and everything's gtg for them then people will still be there, not sure . bad mood? * shy? * lack of social confidence around strangers? * not interested in group content? * they're in queues for warzones? * don't want the xp loss grouping solo content creates? idk, I've thought about this and wondered why too... also, been guilty of some of the above at times. * Seems in Fleet anything that's not LFG spam confuses people, * don't want to get a Trade Troll rep, * worried about getting popular if they're not confident in their playing ability so end up attracting a lot of bad attention (remember, the idea of keeping LFG single server is so we all know who the bads are so we don't group with them - and that's central to not destroying a community apparently). * Can think of some reasons, but overall I just don't get it.

Karkais
04.03.2012 , 12:20 AM | #14
I dont know about you, but Im worrying about the other people in the team to an extent that I cant immerse myself in my character anymore. So I prefer solo leveling because of the immersion. I dont want to make other people wait for me for example. Alternately, most of the players I team with just prefer to run from place to place, spacebutton through conversations, etc rush through the content. I dont want that when Im leveling a new character, so I prefer solo. Because of this, I appreciate the ability to solo my class quests at least.

And of course theres no textchat while in combat, which is what the team would be doing most of its time. If people dont chat while in team, the whole idea of being in a team loses its point I think.

My lvl 50 however spends most of his time standing around, waiting crew missions to finish for crafting, watching star destroyers fly about and participate discussions in general chat.
Yesterday I participated in a low level FP to help some people out.
"Welcome to Dromund Kaas, where freedom goes to die and legends are forced on the galaxy."
- Vette

RebelWeasel
04.03.2012 , 09:06 AM | #15
I'm guilty of turning down an awful lot of invitations to team play, and I feel honor bound to explain why I do this.

I have a very busy schedule and have almost no personal time left for dedicated gaming: my highest level character is level 32.

I'm a bit different from the average gamer. I luck out because I have no family demanding my time, but I do volunteer my personal time for a non-profit community oriented internet radio station. Most times, when I attempt to play SWTOR, I am either running a radio show while I play, or providing support for other crew members on air.

When I'm logged in, I have instant halts in safe aggro-free zones for 5-15 minutes to handle one of those two situations. I'm lucky I can game at all really. The reason I turn down invitations for team play is simply that I could not in conscience ask people to stop dead and wait around randomly, and also sometimes some issues come up that are so fast or problematic, that I do actually end up dying in combat because I got distracted outside the game.

My case is weird, and different. However lets look at the average "has a life" video gamer. I'm not talking about the hard core players who seem to be getting by on student loans, family mooching (kids or stay at home parents), or social security/disability so they have nothing more to do with their time than game. I'm talking about the average 30+ working adult with friends, relationships, and family.

Let's look at some basic stats:
24 hours in a day
-10 for a regular working person pulling a normal job
-----
14 hours left
- 8 for healthy sleep
-----------
6 hours left
- 2 hours for meals, hygeine, basic housekeeping
---------------------------
4 hours

Let's figure the average player as reported by the guild summit plays 5 hours a day. If this person holds a job, then he either:

A) Has no relationships or hobbies outside SWTOR to take up his time. Those things would need some of that 4 hours a day "free time". They also might simply have someone else totally doing all housekeeping and meals for him/her, which makes them rather rotten people to be in a relationship with in my opinion.

B) lives in complete squalor where she/he never does basic things like vacuum, shower, sleep regular, eat healthy meals that don't come instant from delivery.

There is no effing way, a healthy, normal, working adult with a spouse and family could POSSIBLY put in more than about 3-4 hours a day at the most. And usually that would only be maybe 3-4 days a week, not all 7 because hey, what about grocery shopping, school plays, sick kids, or getting some "quality time" with your partner huh?

So let's look at those people while they are logged in with the assumption they don't belong in category A or B. I was one of those people, single mom, working 12 hours a day, with a kid. So I remember what it was like. I got about 3-4 hours game time late at night after bed time, with interruptions. I bet they have kids waking up wanting their glass of water, spouses who want to talk about something quickly, house chores like taking a quick run to the trash can, or cooking/cleaning up after dinner. These things interrupt our game time a lot, which make it really hard to team up and agree to settle down for a marathon team work gaming run. I think this is why it's harder to get teams.

I don't think we need to search for some mysterious socio-pathical issue here, it's just that maybe there are a lot more casual game players than the hard core guys around in this game. Let's face it, it does attract an older demographic model of 35-50 range ages simply because of the original age of the Star Wars movies which is the main attract-or to playing this game in the first place. Those people most likely to have jobs, spouses, kids, than the average MMO which appeals more to the 15-25 lifestyle crowd.

It's really just about statistics. Let's look at another fun one, last night I was in Nar Shadda Public Test Server. There were 10 people on Nar Shaddaa when I log in, and I have 2 hours to play, chances are not a single one of those people are the same level as me, or working the same quest line I'm working on at the time. How many quest lines are there on Nar Shaddaa? Well, let's just look at map areas: Nikto, Red Light, Industrial, and Shady Town if I remember right. So that's 10 people spread out over different parts of 4 zones. 4 zones / 10 people = 40% chance of any of them even remotely being in the same area I am in. Each of those zones is further subdivided into a minimum of 2 major quest line series. So cut that 40% chance down in half and that leaves me with a 20% chance only of meeting someone same level range, same zone, same quest line I'm on.

So it's complicated and long, but the thing is, it's not always about a psychological issue here. Sometimes it's just the numbers run against us in finding someone else compatible faction/level/zone/series/play style wise to play with. Add to that we're split between some major global time zones, the number really run against us teaming up on a statistical basis.
My curiosity is stronger than your security measure.
Game Revolution Radio

portichae
04.03.2012 , 09:16 AM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by Psychocath View Post
I'd pin it down to one of two things:

- Either people are shy and actually need a bit of a nudge via General Chat before you can actually interact with them and do fun stuff like Heroics or Flashpoints, or;

- They're the antisocial solo-players who are killing off the multiplayer aspect of MMOs everywhere

Hey now, just because we prefer to solo the content doesn't mean we're antisocial. Believe it or not some people play games for their own entertainment.

Besides it isn't our fault they made KOTOR 2 a MMO.
PvP Gear progression degrades competition.

Ian_Planeswalker
04.03.2012 , 09:35 AM | #17
As for me the problem that I usually encounter is if I group up with other players they just skip the conversation and space bar all the way. I'm an RPG player so everytime I do heroics or flashpoints I want to read the conversations, I want to know the story behind the quest, and for some people that's annoying since they have to wait for me to finish the conversation.

So what do I do? I just play solo so that I can have my time. Sometimes I party up with close friends. But generally I just do solo.

Sammm
04.03.2012 , 09:40 AM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by Ian_Planeswalker View Post
As for me the problem that I usually encounter is if I group up with other players they just skip the conversation and space bar all the way. I'm an RPG player so everytime I do heroics or flashpoints I want to read the conversations, I want to know the story behind the quest, and for some people that's annoying since they have to wait for me to finish the conversation.

So what do I do? I just play solo so that I can have my time. Sometimes I party up with close friends. But generally I just do solo.
I pug a lot for flashpoints and it annoys me when a player "orders" another one to spacebar though the conversations. If someone wishes to read all the conversations I don't mind at all, it's her/his right to do that. It'd only take at most 3-4 more minutes to complete that flashpoint, what's the rush?!

Darnu
04.03.2012 , 09:41 AM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by RebelWeasel View Post
I'm guilty of turning down an awful lot of invitations to team play, and I feel honor bound to explain why I do this.

I'm a bit different from the average gamer. I luck out because I have no family demanding my time, but I do volunteer my personal time for a non-profit community oriented internet radio station. Most times, when I attempt to play SWTOR, I am either running a radio show while I play, or providing support for other crew members on air.

When I'm logged in, I have instant halts in safe aggro-free zones for 5-15 minutes to handle one of those two situations. I'm lucky I can game at all really. The reason I turn down invitations for team play is simply that I could not in conscience ask people to stop dead and wait around randomly, and also sometimes some issues come up that are so fast or problematic, that I do actually end up dying in combat because I got distracted outside the game.
No, not strange, not unusual, pretty normal. many people logged on are doing something like this, sort of half-playing and half doing something else. That's most probably the biggest reason why looking at numbers and /who lists means nothing. Kids aren't at school? It's not their settled, playing/dinner time? Housework is getting done? For solo content it's fine. For checking mail and crafting it's fine. Might be logged in, but can't dedicate that time to a game for group content. It's a reality of MMORPG's. Designing crew skills around the idea that you didn't have to turn down invitations to farm for your operation etc was a start, but only that.

MMornard
04.03.2012 , 11:43 AM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by BradTheImpaler View Post
I can't really speak for anyone else, but my personal feeling is that I had really been hoping for a KOTOR 3 since 2004, and it felt like soloing as much of TOR as possible was the closest I'd ever get to that..
Number one, see above.

Number two, I have 99 bad experiences grouping with people I don't know for every 1 good experience.

Number three, when you just flip a group invite at me without talking to me at all first, I automatically reject.

Number four, I'm a casual player and don't like rushing through things the way most players like to.