Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Gearing Companion Question

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
Gearing Companion Question
 

sithgreyguard's Avatar


sithgreyguard
04.02.2012 , 12:39 PM | #1
Can my companions use any armor and weapons from gtn? or does the armor or weapon have to show in the notes requires (companion name eg. vette)?

Shatterstar's Avatar


Shatterstar
04.02.2012 , 01:19 PM | #2
As long as the armor/weapons from the GTN are not class restricted (i.e. bounty hunter, etc.), then yes they can. It does not have to say Vette, Torian, Scorpio, etc...

JacksonMo's Avatar


JacksonMo
04.02.2012 , 04:34 PM | #3
I think companion specific items only come from class quests and are automatically bound.
Don't think I've ever seen one on GTN.

ounkeo's Avatar


ounkeo
04.02.2012 , 08:41 PM | #4
The only reason to ever get (companion named) gear is for the look. They are fully able to use any armor for their class type. If the item is class restricted, companions can't use it even if they are the same class.

For example: Boots that say "trooper only". Even if your companion is a trooper, he can't use it. Any class specific item, they cannot use.

Luckily most items don't state any specific class. That is why a jedi can wear trooper armor or vice versa.

also, your companions can't use items from lightside/darkside vendors as they don't gain light/dark.

Shatterstar's Avatar


Shatterstar
04.02.2012 , 08:57 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by ounkeo View Post
also, your companions can't use items from lightside/darkside vendors as they don't gain light/dark.
This is wrong, as long as it does not state a class on it, they can use it. Same with the social gear. As long as you qualify for the LS/DS/SP portion, they can wear it.

NRieh's Avatar


NRieh
04.03.2012 , 08:57 AM | #6
Quote:
Can my companions use any armor and weapons from gtn?
Absolutely yes, and it's the only real way of gearing them up (if you don't craft), as rewarded companion-only stuff is usually not that good in stats. And personaly I found most of it rather ugly. Custom companion-only weapons may serve you well, however, but there a few.

Baelish's Avatar


Baelish
04.03.2012 , 09:54 AM | #7
It's also worth pointing out that your Companion can wear stuff that's bound to your character. So Risha can wear your Smuggler's hand-me-downs, Aric can wear your Trooper's old stuff and so on.

ounkeo's Avatar


ounkeo
04.03.2012 , 07:13 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Shatterstar View Post
This is wrong, as long as it does not state a class on it, they can use it. Same with the social gear. As long as you qualify for the LS/DS/SP portion, they can wear it.
nope. Not on my toon. It was only about a month ago that I tried. I bought both LS vendor item trooper boots for Elara Dorne and she couldn't wear it. Also, I bought several pieces of "trooper" specific gear that she couldn't wear.

Unless they stealthed changed it within the last month. I wouldn't waste thousands of credits to try again.

AzraelCales's Avatar


AzraelCales
04.03.2012 , 08:04 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by ounkeo View Post
nope. Not on my toon. It was only about a month ago that I tried. I bought both LS vendor item trooper boots for Elara Dorne and she couldn't wear it. Also, I bought several pieces of "trooper" specific gear that she couldn't wear.

Unless they stealthed changed it within the last month. I wouldn't waste thousands of credits to try again.
Works for my characters. I have a Dark V saber on Jaesa and a few other dark pieces on her as well.
Darth Sypherius - The world means nothing to a dreamer.

Quote: Originally Posted by Lord_of_Mu View Post
By all means, please proceed to pull out your MMO walking stick and wave it.

NRieh's Avatar


NRieh
04.04.2012 , 04:58 AM | #10
Quote:
I bought both LS vendor item trooper boots for Elara Dorne and she couldn't wear it. Also, I bought several pieces of "trooper" specific gear that she couldn't wear.
She could not wear it because she is NOT a trooper (yes, I know it's strange), not because of LS\DS or anything like that. Even more - if you loot companion's "class" token from boss in HM - you still can buy an item and give it to companion, even if you're a different class.

E.g. I got offhand trooper-specific token once as no one needed it anyway, and my Corso now has his Columi shield generator. Not sure about how sets work though, afaik - they give stats but not set bonuses, and you can equip them to companions anyway.