Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Executor Krannus = Poor Game Design (Spoilers)

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Jedi Knight
Executor Krannus = Poor Game Design (Spoilers)

FatherGrimm
03.31.2012 , 07:30 PM | #1
When I used to play PnP games, I'd occasionally run into gamemasters who got so caught up into their favorite npcs, player participation became superfluous. The players were just there on the sidelines, essentially watching the GM play with himself in "epic" battles, having his favorite hero npcs carry the day against his favorite enemy npcs. Player participation made no difference in the encounter.

I didn't expect to see something like this in SWTOR, but then I ran into the Executor Krannus encounter (level 43) in the Jedi Knight storyline.

Summary of the encounter:

Spoiler

I thought that I must have handled the encounter wrong for it to go down as it did, even though I figured out how to get an easy, if unsatisfying, win. Looking at forum posts and at a YouTube of a level 50 JK doing the encounter, it turned out that my approach the second time was spot on -- you win by being a flunky and watching the npcs be the heroes. To add further insult, you don't get to loot Krannus since he's greyed out, proving how much of a hero you weren't during the fight.

I'm writing this because I was very disappointed to see an otherwise very professional and well-designed MMORPG game make a rookie mistake like the PnP example I described above. I don't participate in games like SWTOR to watch a bunch of computer-driven npcs in a circle jerk while I get to applaud them for how tough they are. Player characters should be the decisive factor in these "epic" encounters. Companions or "guest stars" can add variety to the design of these battles, to be sure. However, when the encounter seems wholly driven on standing back and watching the pro npcs do what you can't, it's a game design failure.

Onyx
03.31.2012 , 08:00 PM | #2
I did that encounter not that long ago but I don't remember it being like that. I'm trying hard to remember anything that struck me as odd but I don't.

I have had a battle a couple steps after Krannus not go like I'd expected--the "helpers" kept the boss in battle so that when my rez timer allowed, I stood, healed and finished them off. I'd hit a latency spike (was an issue on my end) and died twice when I shouldn't have. It wasn't that I'd have lost the encounter, but it was a bit annoying to lay there as a corpse watching NPCs engage in battle while doing no damage to each other as they waited for me to stand up .....

edited to add: I was level 43 or 44 in the Krannus encounter, watchman/combat hybrid, using Doc.
Star Wars fan for life
C C X X:
1st Special Forces Group
S . A . N . C . T . U . M . . . O . F . . . T . H . E . . . E . X . A . L . T . E . D
SWG: 2003 thru 12.15.2011 . . . . . Kettemoor ~ Starsider

thepilk
03.31.2012 , 08:09 PM | #3
If you want it to feel more "epic", dont engage at all... go disarm all the bombs first, which should eat up enough time for you to show up just in time to finish Krannus off after the flunkies "kept him busy" for you to go save the planet.

Im pretty sure thats why the encouter is set up like this. Also, Ive never been unable to loot him. (have done the story line only two times though, so thats not a broad sample)
SWG's Last Jedi Senator
Facebook.com/straightouttacomicon
youtube.com/straightouttacomicon

Duradel
03.31.2012 , 08:15 PM | #4
I hate to be that guy, but you've got to be freaking joking me.

Bioware tries to implement one boss fight in the entire storyline where NPCs help and you are so offended by the fact that they did more damage than you that you feel the need to complain about it on the internet.

I truly hope this is a troll post, otherwise it reassures my sad belief that people will complain about literally anything possible. Damnit humanity.

FatherGrimm
03.31.2012 , 08:34 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by thepilk View Post
If you want it to feel more "epic", dont engage at all... go disarm all the bombs first, which should eat up enough time for you to show up just in time to finish Krannus off after the flunkies "kept him busy" for you to go save the planet.

Im pretty sure thats why the encouter is set up like this.
Did that work for you on one of your runs in this mission? I read posts from a couple of folks who tried it and the mission failed on them. When I've tried a similar approach in other missions without a timer (i.e., click objective while in combat), I've gotten an error message.

Cerion
03.31.2012 , 09:14 PM | #6
I'm sorry you chose to feel like a flunky. I, however, chose to feel like a member of an awesome spec ops team who handled a dicey situation and was able to react to a fluid situation.

I think the greying out is a clue to go after the bombs. If there's any flaw to this encounter, it's that the feedback isn't quite clear regarding what you need to do.

And yeah...it's ONE encounter out of how many? I actually wish there were more missions where I could feel like part of bad-assed team (barring group PC missions of course).

TristQueloon
03.31.2012 , 09:52 PM | #7
uhhh,

I just did this mission. Basically I noticed one of the spec ops guy had aggro, so I just killed all the trash mobs around him first, then went to him. He was still at 3/4 hp when I got to him. Killed him, was still able to loot him.

Seemed pretty cut and dry to me.
Combat Sentinel

BlackBaronUK
04.01.2012 , 02:06 PM | #8
Failed miserably with Lord Scourge as companion, and realised he was AoE taunting everything and getting ripped to shreds xD

Tip of the day: Don't use Scourge to tank this encounter!

danielweberdlc
04.01.2012 , 06:44 PM | #9
I thought it was kind of cool they had some variation in a fight - everything else was so "end boss elite" fight that got kind of dull.

I wish they'd done more of that, to be honest - maybe even some fights where you weren't supposed to fight but get around an obstacle by another route, like a puzzle perhaps.

Hydranova
04.02.2012 , 04:08 PM | #10
Oh....I disabled the bombs AFTER Krannus had died. And it worked, too.
Char name: Karratan
Class: sith Sorceror
Race: Human (male)
Guild: The Black Mantle