Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Massive latency change


Stinkface's Avatar


Stinkface
03.31.2012 , 01:05 AM | #1
Sorry if there is already a thread for this, I browsed through the first 10 pages and didn't see anything so I made my own.

I've had consistently acceptable latency since game launch, usually around 150-200 on <The Swiftsure> server. Never had a single issue, no spikes, nothing.

As of last week's patch, my latency has been astronomical. Unplayable. Anywhere from 700 spiking up to several thousand. I haven't changed a single thing on my side and I'm not experiencing any changes in any other online games' latency.

I have spoken with my ISP and they have worked with me and can't find a single problem on their side - so I have to assume this is something happening sever side.

I spoke with our general chat on The Swiftsure and within 5 minutes of asking, I spoke with 15+ people who are having the exact same problem.

What is going on, and what can I do about it? I am not happy paying a monthly subscription for a game that I simply can not play.

Thanks in advanced for any help anyone can provide.

Stinkface's Avatar


Stinkface
03.31.2012 , 01:32 AM | #2
Traceroute results, in case needed:

Spoiler

Onyx's Avatar


Onyx
03.31.2012 , 03:22 AM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by Stinkface View Post
Traceroute results, in case needed:

Spoiler
There's many threads on this topic

Anyway, there are three points where you're seeing at least some packet loss. One is within Reach Global, another is within two networks controlled by AboveNet (mfnx.net and above.net) and the third is at the point where the AboveNet traffic hops into the west coast data center. I've seen several traces recently where there are bottlenecks within AboveNet.

Even one of those points would likely cause at least some noticeable effect in-game. Put three of them together and latency issues are not surprising at all.
Star Wars fan for life
C C X X:
1st Special Forces Group
S . A . N . C . T . U . M . . . O . F . . . T . H . E . . . E . X . A . L . T . E . D
SWG: 2003 thru 12.15.2011 . . . . . Kettemoor ~ Starsider

Stinkface's Avatar


Stinkface
03.31.2012 , 03:26 AM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Onyx View Post
There's many threads on this topic

Anyway, there are three points where you're seeing at least some packet loss. One is within Reach Global, another is within two networks controlled by AboveNet (mfnx.net and above.net) and the third is at the point where the AboveNet traffic hops into the west coast data center. I've seen several traces recently where there are bottlenecks within AboveNet.

Even one of those points would likely cause at least some noticeable effect in-game. Put three of them together and latency issues are not surprising at all.
Thanks, yes I've seen a few now that I've had a longer look.

Thank you for replying - while what you said certainly is validating, it kind of kills the hope that I can do anything about fixing it from my side, doesn't it?

Onyx's Avatar


Onyx
03.31.2012 , 03:30 AM | #5
As far as the problem within Reach's network, your ISP might be able to help with that--it looks like they are either an upstream or a peer.

For the AboveNet end, the controlling entity for Vantage is the best bet--which as you said, is outside your control. Manytimes these issues resolve themselves--either by traffic getting routed away from the affected equipment or by a restart, etc. There have been others with issues within AboveNet over the past few days. Hopefully they've been alerted to it by now and are working on a resolution.
Star Wars fan for life
C C X X:
1st Special Forces Group
S . A . N . C . T . U . M . . . O . F . . . T . H . E . . . E . X . A . L . T . E . D
SWG: 2003 thru 12.15.2011 . . . . . Kettemoor ~ Starsider

Aexion's Avatar


Aexion
03.31.2012 , 04:22 AM | #6
I am also having the exact same problem... my latency is over 220 thousand and still climbing and the game is unplayable atm. I noticed this lag for about a week now, since the last patch, so something with that is the problem.

A response from Bioware would be nice, to at least let us know that they are doing something about this issue. This is NOT how i planned to spend my saturday. I can finally sit down and play... and yet, i cannot play due to this massive spike that every 20 or so seconds seems to peek and last about 10 seconds then drops down. But right now, its been spiking for the past 10 minutes, so here i am, seeking answers.

ForeverAtheist's Avatar


ForeverAtheist
03.31.2012 , 04:39 AM | #7
Mine is alot worse!!!

I'm in Perth and play on Master Dar'Nala server hosted in sydney (PvP)

It constantly spikes every 30 secs so i have stopped playing and will not renew my subscription. Normally it would sit at 94 ms but spikes to over 6000 ms and sometimes into the 100000 ms without disconnecting.

I laugh because i'm not even leaving the country

below is my tracert results.

(Word of advice! Never sign up with EscapeNet as your ISP!)

Tracing route to 175.45.88.193 over a maximum of 30 hops

1 <1 ms 1 ms 1 ms 192.168.0.1
2 87 ms 75 ms 76 ms LNS0-LOOP1.VIC.ESC.NET.AU [210.56.80.23]
3 77 ms 70 ms 73 ms HSRP3-GW.VIC.ESC.NET.AU [210.56.80.60]
4 74 ms * 82 ms as4826.melbourne.pipenetworks.com [218.100.13.48
]
5 98 ms 99 ms 99 ms ge-0-0-2.bdr02.mel04.vic.VOCUS.net.au [114.31.19
6.33]
6 101 ms 99 ms * ge-0-0-3.bdr01.mel04.vic.VOCUS.net.au [114.31.19
6.34]
7 123 ms 150 ms 151 ms ge-0-1-0.cor01.syd03.nsw.VOCUS.net.au [114.31.19
2.92]
8 126 ms 123 ms 99 ms ten-1-3-0.cor02.syd03.nsw.VOCUS.net.au [114.31.1
92.87]
9 100 ms * 84 ms ip-203.192.31.114.VOCUS.net.au [114.31.192.203]

10 * 106 ms 99 ms ip-198.90.161.119.VOCUS.net.au [119.161.90.198]

11 101 ms 100 ms * 175.45.88.193
12 * 107 ms 127 ms 175.45.88.193

Aexion's Avatar


Aexion
03.31.2012 , 04:45 AM | #8
im from Perth too, and now, the game is unplayable. I can't even log on and i got the 9000 error message. Been trying to log on but it times out now.

I hope they fix this real soon.

Blaac's Avatar


Blaac
03.31.2012 , 05:10 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Stinkface View Post
I have spoken with my ISP and they have worked with me and can't find a single problem on their side - so I have to assume this is something happening sever side.
This is one of the major misconceptions of how internet services work. Its not "ISP's fault" or "game server's fault". Your internet passes through several different ISPs, networks, and router "on its way" to the game server. Any 1 or ALL of these networks and routers can have a major impact on how fast your ISP can talk to the game servers.

Generally, when its a major issue and a large player base starts having this same issue, the trace logs allow them to see which IP addresses the connections are losing out at... that IP address allows them to identify WHO the issue actually belongs to and try and work with them to resolve it. Sometimes they can get it fixed, but in some cases the provider or router in question simply cant handle the load being placed upon it in that area. That doesn't necessarily mean that your ISP or BW is at fault... its not completely in their control.

I know its easy to play the blame game. Its not only the consumers who play it, you will often speak to one side and get the response"Its not us, so it must be them." Sometimes its neither.

Look at the trace logs. An "good" connection will generally be less than 70ms. When you see those numbers start spiking drastically into the 100's, 200's, and up.... each of those "slow" connections or data loss adds up. Usually you will see 3-4 hops along the ISP network, then the IP will change, and that USUALLY indicates the connection leaving your ISP into ANOTHER providers network. If you look at Stinkface's tracert as an example, you see it leave his place (192.x.x.x), then hit his ISP (203.x.x.x -iiNet Limited - Australia), then as soon as it hops off his ISPs network (134.x.x.x and 202.x.x.x - Reach Global Internet Services - Hong Kong) the connection starts to slow down considerably. Can you truly blame BW or iiNet because the connection isn't passing through the Reach Networks properly?

Sry... /rant off
~KNOWLEDGE IS POWER AND TRUE SITH DO NOT SHARE POWER~

* *

Romiz's Avatar


Romiz
03.31.2012 , 05:34 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Blaac View Post
This is one of the major misconceptions of how internet services work. Its not "ISP's fault" or "game server's fault". Your internet passes through several different ISPs, networks, and router "on its way" to the game server. Any 1 or ALL of these networks and routers can have a major impact on how fast your ISP can talk to the game servers.

Generally, when its a major issue and a large player base starts having this same issue, the trace logs allow them to see which IP addresses the connections are losing out at... that IP address allows them to identify WHO the issue actually belongs to and try and work with them to resolve it. Sometimes they can get it fixed, but in some cases the provider or router in question simply cant handle the load being placed upon it in that area. That doesn't necessarily mean that your ISP or BW is at fault... its not completely in their control.

I know its easy to play the blame game. Its not only the consumers who play it, you will often speak to one side and get the response"Its not us, so it must be them." Sometimes its neither.

Look at the trace logs. An "good" connection will generally be less than 70ms. When you see those numbers start spiking drastically into the 100's, 200's, and up.... each of those "slow" connections or data loss adds up. Usually you will see 3-4 hops along the ISP network, then the IP will change, and that USUALLY indicates the connection leaving your ISP into ANOTHER providers network. If you look at Stinkface's tracert as an example, you see it leave his place (192.x.x.x), then hit his ISP (203.x.x.x -iiNet Limited - Australia), then as soon as it hops off his ISPs network (134.x.x.x and 202.x.x.x - Reach Global Internet Services - Hong Kong) the connection starts to slow down considerably. Can you truly blame BW or iiNet because the connection isn't passing through the Reach Networks properly?

Sry... /rant off
Lot of the time it is the ISP. If you look at the ping that are showing almost all have problem from the ISP. Remember your ISP picks the backbone not Bioware.