Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

WASD vs. ESDF

tronot
03.20.2012 , 03:22 PM | #1
Which do you use? WASD is always the standard and I've always used it, however I'm thinking about changing. Since most keyboards have something raised up on the F key for touch typing, I'll always know where my hand is on the keyboard without having to look. It'll also make pressing Ctrl and Shift easier.

OmegaMayhem
03.20.2012 , 03:24 PM | #2
Ok... good luck and have fun.

edit - I will be sticking with wasd.

notebene
03.20.2012 , 03:24 PM | #3
Messes up my pinky-reach for Shift and Ctrl.

I know where my hand is if it leaves that far by finding F, and then I just instinctively move over from there (for gaming). The only time I think I've thought about that since, maybe, 1991 was you mentioning it now.
MOTD - One Giant Server - When I'll Need To Make My 'Bucket-List' List 1. I'm not having fun any more. 2. Puritans. 3. One or more characters were renamed in a server merge. 4. Something given to 'all characters on account' are not given to 'all characters on account'. 5. Design by Committee.

Blackavaar
03.20.2012 , 03:25 PM | #4
I've always used QWES. That's the old standard I got used to. I bind my strafing keys to Mouse buttons 4 and 5 for usability.

Only the meek get pinched. The bold survive.(███████████████████████████████████║║█[Θ]█]◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙[█]

Rohke
03.20.2012 , 03:25 PM | #5
hmm you make a valid point about it being easier to press shift ctrl etc. It acutaly seems to work better than wasd but ive never used ESDF
The Watchers of Aartan
Republic Guild

Qouivandes
03.20.2012 , 03:27 PM | #6
i have always used:

A: left
S: right
D: back
F: forward

with my skill activations taking up:
qwertzxcvgh.

with my razor keyboard my thumb can jump, but also has access to five other buttons that allowed me to set up all four of the task bars using the same qwertzxcvgh setup with the appropriate thumb button.

wish i woul have gotten this kb sooner...

Andryah
03.20.2012 , 03:28 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by tronot View Post
Which do you use? WASD is always the standard and I've always used it, however I'm thinking about changing. Since most keyboards have something raised up on the F key for touch typing, I'll always know where my hand is on the keyboard without having to look. It'll also make pressing Ctrl and Shift easier.
I use a g13 keypad.
Negativity achieves nothing positive or productive. It's hostile and it reveals a persons true character. It's a useless and miserable way to spend one's time, IMO ... but some people like being miserable I guess. This is true in real life and it is true inside MMOs.

Thunder-God
03.20.2012 , 03:33 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Qouivandes View Post
i have always used:

A: left
S: right
D: back
F: forward

with my skill activations taking up:
qwertzxcvgh.

with my razor keyboard my thumb can jump, but also has access to five other buttons that allowed me to set up all four of the task bars using the same qwertzxcvgh setup with the appropriate thumb button.

wish i woul have gotten this kb sooner...
Only other person I've ever seen use the home row like me in all my time playing games. Just seems more natural to use this setup.

I use F1-F12 for my secondary hotbar...my G700 mouse for my most used 3rd hotbar skills...the exttra function keys on the left on my G110 keyboard for the rest of the hotbar skills.

also have a G13, but I rarely use it in games.
-----=====Animus=====-----
Jianna Rae, Mercenary, 50 | Darth Cell'ax, Sorcerer, 50
Death Wind Corridor (PVP US East) on: Google+ - Twitter - Facebook

Dexsite
03.20.2012 , 03:33 PM | #9
I use ESDF as it opens up additional keys for me to keybind to. It has made things a lot easier for me.

I recently started using a layout similar to this http://taugrim.com/2011/04/07/guide-...d-keybindings/ .

With this layout, I just have a strafe left/right key and use the mouse to move forward (press left and right buttons at the same time). So far I like it a lot, but it definitely takes some getting used to.

Just remember, anytime you change keybindings things will seem off at first but after a few laps around fleet for movement and some practice kills on a low level planet you'll start getting used to things.

tronot
03.20.2012 , 03:36 PM | #10
Good stuff. Keep it coming.

I would never have considered ASDF. Seems like a steep learning curve.