Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Switching Main Specs?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
Switching Main Specs?

ThiborF
12.13.2011 , 02:48 PM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by Jooji View Post
Sadly Thiborf, the only reason I would see them not allowing an AC re-spec is as you mentioned, to make swtor have the appearance of 8 classes.

As per the dual spec thing, I don't think they'll ever allow multiple-AC dual specs, I think it'll just be within an AC, such as a Sith Inquisitor caster and healing spec.
I hope we never see dual-AC specs.

Dual skill/talent specs I can understand.

As for switching ACs, I plan on having one of each AC anyways so I'm not affected by their decision either way.
I just hope if they do add it that opting to switch has some consequences to make people choose whether or not it's worth it to do so.

In a couple cases tho, the armor/weapons don't match up based on AC choice so that's an additional burden only some players would face. Or do you expect the system to convert your dual blade lightsaber to a single blade one or your heavy armor to medium?

canobeansPL
12.13.2011 , 03:06 PM | #12
Well, hopefully BioWare will do a sneaky nomenclature assassination and starts using the word "archetype" instead of "class" so that people understand that "advanced classes" are really classes. This will allow BW to slowly back away from their current nonsensical position that at some nebulous point in the future they will allow people to jump between classes!

Dystopic
12.13.2011 , 03:54 PM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by Jooji View Post
I'm sure AC respecs will be put in at some point. There's no reason for them not to put the AC respecs into the game...
The different ACs are different classes. They may start out the same but they change greatly as you level.

Tokeii
12.14.2011 , 05:39 AM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by Dystopic View Post
The different ACs are different classes. They may start out the same but they change greatly as you level.
Some of them aren't that different.

Sarzan
12.14.2011 , 08:00 AM | #15
They will probably go down the path EQ2 did later in their life cycle and declare them as separate classes (you would start out as a IA:Sniper from lv1) and stop this whole Advanced Class nonsense. That would have made it painfully clear you wont be able to swap Advanced classes in the same base class. So far all I have seen is a rehash of the WoW/EQ2 dual spec option to be implemented later. Kinda wish they would have allowed the flexibility of the system used in RIFT.

URFIRED
12.14.2011 , 09:20 AM | #16
I actually hope they do not allow AC Repsecs. The way I look at it, the first 10 levels are just the entry point before you really pick your class.. Simply respecing your AC is basically cheating a whole class.

While I hate to compare this to other MMOs like WoW, there are 10 classes there, there are 4 here (but really they're meant to be played for their ACs, so that's 8 (I only count 8 and not 16 cause the other faction simply mirrors it). So changing ACs is like changing class all together, which seems quite silly to me.

With that said I hope Dual Spec (talent tree specs) would be allowed. I mean the mechanics are ingame, you just have to pay some credits to do it, which can get quite expensive if one moment you want to PVP, the next you want to PVE/Raid... simply pushing a button to switch between two profiles would be great. I understand requiring credits to reset one of those profiles, but having two that you can switch between seems critical.

Sohndan
12.14.2011 , 11:40 AM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by Tokeii View Post
Some of them aren't that different.
Which advanced classes aren't that different? They each have class defining traits that are only found within the advanced class.

Toogeloo
12.14.2011 , 11:55 AM | #18
I can see Dual Spec options in the future, mostly because it's not always lucrative to be Pure Tank or Pure Healer for the classes that run those.

I do not think they will put in Advance Class respec though. I agree with the other poster that stated that it gives the appearance of 8 classes per side instead of 4. Also, each story is written from the perspective of the 4 core classes, not from advanced class choices. There is also a lot of heavy emphasis when you make your choice that you can't change back.

It also just makes sense. You have trained to be a specific type of character, like Assassin as opposed to Sorcerer. Respecing means you "lose" your knowledge of the abilities you had before if you change. Mastery changes just can be chalked up to you preparing for a fight differently, while a full role respec means you more or less lost your memory and suddenly became something else.

I don't like the idea of Advanced Class respec. If someone wanted to tank, they should roll a Tank class. Healers and Tanks have DPS specs as well. Giving out Advanced Class respecs is just a way for pre-emptive QQers to have a way to switch FotM is Advanced classes get altered down the line, and cause imbalance in Advanced Class distribution. I mean, what if Sorcerer gets nerfed and Assassin gets buffed... I really don't want to see a huge influx of Assassins all of a sudden and a huge disappearance of Sorcs.

Kaffis
12.14.2011 , 12:13 PM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by Sarzan View Post
Kinda wish they would have allowed the flexibility of the system used in RIFT.
Honestly? I don't. The flexibility of the Rift system was interesting on a gameplay side, but it managed to utterly obliterate any connection I felt to my character. They were just a pile of skills to me, because the souls had no characterization themselves. They were interchangeable building blocks to builds, not classes that could inform and help shape a character.

Toogeloo
12.14.2011 , 12:40 PM | #20
Rift also failed in the aspect that though you had a ridiculous amount of soul combination potential, you sucked at your class if you didn't play the FotM specs.