Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Do you ever regret your decisions?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Community Content
Do you ever regret your decisions?

DataBeaver
03.14.2012 , 07:54 AM | #1
I've gone through five and a half planets, and probably well over a hundred quests. In a few of them, I've selected conversation choices that I've later come to regret (but not soon enough to press esc / reset the quest and try again). Intellectually I know that most of the choices are not recorded anywhere, and even light/dark side points are just two faceless numbers, but emotionally it gnaws at me. It's my story, and I want it to be perfect. But rerolling the character at this point would mean three weeks of lost effort, so I just have to live with it.

Do you ever get similar feelings?

Kryssprolls
03.14.2012 , 08:04 AM | #2
Yep.

I regret trying to min-max my LS/DS or my companion affection instead of playing like I would like my character to be : it was stupid (since, at 50, I do not use relics with LS/DS requirements anyway) and now that my toon is 50 I feel like I dit quite a few choices at odds with its story background, making me less and less fond of my character.
Back from the 2011 past

Erevan_Kindelar
03.14.2012 , 08:11 AM | #3
No, because I know that if I want to grind companion affection or DS/LD points, I can run through Black Talon or Esseles a few times. Doing it early enough, I can even farm Social points by doing them in groups.
The conversations then become about what I want my character to say, not what my companion or my alignment dictate.
No, really! I am telling the truth, honestly! Look I can prove it, I am a politician! I am as honest as the day is long!
Besides, I am a terrible liar, everyone can see when I am lying - my lips are moving... oh damn, err, that last comment was off the record, right?

Machea
03.14.2012 , 08:21 AM | #4
Ya, I bought the collectors edition hoping for some nice perks, but only got a small vendor that sells nothing usef...

Oh, wait...conversation choices.

Ya, I've regretted a few before I found out about Esc out of the convo. I'd regret fewer choices, though, if the sample text weren't so misleading

Random NPC: So, do you think you could do this quest for me?

PC:
1) Sure, no problem.
(I promise to do this no matter the cost my love...or die trying)
2) If I get around to it. (How about I just shoot you and take all your money)
3) I'm a little busy. (Wrong time for talking. I'm going to kill you just for asking)

Seriously, I'm kinda tired of picking a convo choice, only for my character to say something completely off. I pretty much have to run through every conversation several times making sure I pick the option that gives me want I actually want to say, regardless of LS/DS/Companion.
Σ/_]|||||▓\▓/▓[╟|[]|╢[≡]╣▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓)

WBTronix
03.14.2012 , 08:25 AM | #5
I did at first, when I thought my actions might mean something. Once I realized how formulated the game was and how linear the stories are I lost that emotional attachment to my choices. There are few consequences for any choice and those with consequences are usually blatently obvious so the player knows what would happen before they make the choice.

At least in KotOR some of your choices could drastically change your adventure. Which made every choice more meaningful.

In this game it doesn't matter if I kill or save someone. I'll just get a letter in the mail with a couple thousand credits and a lovely note about how big a help I've been or how big a problem I've been. Multiple-ending story telling at its finest!

Anysao
03.14.2012 , 06:51 PM | #6
Sorta, first thing that comes to mind is in one story quest on taris, I'm a Dark-sided sith assassin, and there is a part where you speak to a Jedi, APPARENTLY, I did the wrong dialogue (I could have just gotten +50 DS points with a bolt of lightning, but I thought I'd be pushing my luck), I ended up with ALL THREE OPTIONS ON THE WHEEL OFFERING LIGHTSIDE POINTS! I spazzed, then took a breath, and just accepted the +100 light sides.
The problem was, it was right after a very hard boss fight, and I didn't wanna reset.
Ooh! In WildStar, I get double jumps, path choices, and massive PvP!That sounds cool, but one question, where do I get a lightsaber?

I will never take someone who says "EAware" seriously.

Benfea
03.14.2012 , 07:41 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by DataBeaver View Post
I've gone through five and a half planets, and probably well over a hundred quests. In a few of them, I've selected conversation choices that I've later come to regret (but not soon enough to press esc / reset the quest and try again). Intellectually I know that most of the choices are not recorded anywhere, and even light/dark side points are just two faceless numbers, but emotionally it gnaws at me. It's my story, and I want it to be perfect. But rerolling the character at this point would mean three weeks of lost effort, so I just have to live with it.

Do you ever get similar feelings?
This is an MMORPG. If you do not reroll to try other choices, you're not getting all you can out of the game.

Don't regret. Think of it as an opportunity to explore more stuff later.
"It's great to be known, but it's even better to be known as strange."
-Takeshi Kaga

MagesKickass
03.14.2012 , 09:52 PM | #8
Oh yes, I do. Due to my conversation choices....

SPOILER AHEAD FOR THE REPUBLIC TROOPER STORYLINE! SERIOUSLY!

Commander Tavus died

Hopefully my color choice hides it some against the background for anyone who doesn't want to see it. And that's not even the only thing that I regret.

Cmdrshepard
Zabrak Commando Combat Medic Trooper on Vornskr

"Once defeat is conceived in the mind, it is inevitable."-Darth Maul

kaboro
03.14.2012 , 10:30 PM | #9
I regret that there is nothing to regret about 99% of the choices you make.

LeeTone
03.14.2012 , 10:36 PM | #10
In the game? No, I'm always happy with my decisions.

IRL? All the time.

Guess I'm a wiser person in the virtual world.