Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Why did BioWare have to kill Revan's legacy

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore > Spoilers
Why did BioWare have to kill Revan's legacy

Luminen's Avatar


Luminen
03.26.2012 , 05:09 PM | #31
No way he's dead, letting us ourselves be the end of Revan is an interesting thought, but canonwise to not even know the name of his killer would be ridiculous. No absolute way is he dead yet, after all, when I did Foundry, I don't remember his bar hitting 0. He dissappeared in that flash of light. I'm sure he's still alive.
"Sometimes one must sacrifice greatly in order to keep moving forward."

Darth_Moonshadow's Avatar


Darth_Moonshadow
03.27.2012 , 03:26 AM | #32
Quote: Originally Posted by portichae View Post
SWTOR took a huge steaming dump on KOTOR fans with the Foundry flashpoint.

It really is a piss poor end to the KOTOR story that Rev' goes down like a genocidal punk. They could have done so much more with the Revan legacy; he was the first Jedi to walk both paths I.E. the first Grey Jedi.

Deeply concerned about future story if this is the kind of crap they're going to pull to conclude a successful and well loved character and story-line.
Yes it's always a terrible ending when the creators of the story don't run it by you beforehand because OBVIOUSLY you know what the characters would do better than the creator would.

Quote: Originally Posted by BruceMaclean View Post

And I love Darth Moonshadow's responses.
B

Scythess's Avatar


Scythess
03.23.2013 , 12:56 PM | #33
I am a huge Revan fan and I did not like where Bioware went with his story in SWTOR. I am not overly upset by it though. I just pretend that the Foundry and the other stuff with Revan and the Exile in SWTOR never happened.

jovianus's Avatar


jovianus
03.23.2013 , 10:30 PM | #34
Quote: Originally Posted by Scythess View Post
I am a huge Revan fan and I did not like where Bioware went with his story in SWTOR. I am not overly upset by it though. I just pretend that the Foundry and the other stuff with Revan and the Exile in SWTOR never happened.
I'm fine with that, as long as we don't have to hear about him....ever again in TOR. It's been 300 years, do they really feel the need to keep flogging a character who should be long dead for ideas?

The Revanite quest line is the least interesting part of Dromund Kaas for me. The best part of the Foundry is the possibility that I finally put Revan out of his misery.

Azzirith's Avatar


Azzirith
03.24.2013 , 12:56 AM | #35
Quote: Originally Posted by jovianus View Post
I'm fine with that, as long as we don't have to hear about him....ever again in TOR. It's been 300 years, do they really feel the need to keep flogging a character who should be long dead for ideas?

The Revanite quest line is the least interesting part of Dromund Kaas for me. The best part of the Foundry is the possibility that I finally put Revan out of his misery.
^^ This x1000.

Revan wasn't anything special... He was a mediocre character with no real character, same with Meetra Surik, until the Revan novel. By that time he'd been built way beyond what he really was. I was more than happy to put him down like a rabid dog.

smartalectwo's Avatar


smartalectwo
03.25.2013 , 06:31 AM | #36
I do agree with others, I was impressed that they made Revan something of a tragic character rather than keep using him as a saviour. He strayed towards the Dark Side, and from that point on, it really did dominate his destiny. Everything he ever did throughout his life, from the point at which he first went to fight the Mandalorians onward, went wrong in terrible ways. And although he had the best of intentions, he was never at peace with himself from then on. Trying to find some middle ground between serenity and discord left him very confused. He tried to take the galaxy's burdens onto himself, and they were just too much for one man. He was left running around trying to find some way to fix everything, and went a bit crazy because of it.

That's a pretty chilling story to tell, because Revan was us, at one point. It's surprisingly true to the original Star Wars, because it's exactly what Yoda warns Luke about. You don't have to have a desire to do evil in order to fall to the Dark Side - sometimes, all it takes is to try and do too much without stopping, taking a breath, and thinking things through.
There is no try.

saremun's Avatar


saremun
03.26.2013 , 07:39 PM | #37
i would say the same thing about Darth Malgus, really!

because every time i did the foundry or
Spoiler
it just grief me to kill the two great figures. i really hope they give us the choice to avoid killing those boss in anyway.

Callaron's Avatar


Callaron
03.26.2013 , 11:19 PM | #38
Quote: Originally Posted by portichae View Post
SWTOR took a huge steaming dump on KOTOR fans with the Foundry flashpoint.

It really is a piss poor end to the KOTOR story that Rev' goes down like a genocidal punk. They could have done so much more with the Revan legacy; he was the first Jedi to walk both paths I.E. the first Grey Jedi.

Deeply concerned about future story if this is the kind of crap they're going to pull to conclude a successful and well loved character and story-line.
Meh, I've had this discussion with friends before - and the general consensus was, yes, it sucks big time what they did with Revan... I absolutely hate how they've basically ruined the ending you played to reach, no matter what option you picked (though I also saw the Light Side one as the logical choice for canon)....
They basically had to jump on the bandwagon of "Happy Endings are SOOOO 90's! Lets get with the times and screw them all over in the end!" - I originally blamed Obsidian Entertainment for it when KOTOR 2 revealed how Revan vanished into unknown space, leaving Bastila and their (unborn) child by themselves, but there's a very good chance it was all Drew Karpyshyn's doing, or Lucas Arts... it's probably one of those things we'll never know.

EDIT: Maybe I'll feel better after doing the Republic side, but in my opinion the character should've been retired to the sands of time with the original KOTOR.
Thanks for showing us you listen to our feedback, Bioware!
Join the Galactic Referral Army today and see the galaxy! (with a free character transfer and some other shiny Cartel Market unlocks!)
Want more Class stories? Let Bioware know!

Callaron's Avatar


Callaron
03.26.2013 , 11:26 PM | #39
Quote: Originally Posted by saremun View Post
i would say the same thing about Darth Malgus, really!

because every time i did the foundry or
Spoiler
it just grief me to kill the two great figures. i really hope they give us the choice to avoid killing those boss in anyway.
I never felt bad about Malgus, just stupid... since his philosophies are much closer to my own character's than the rest of the Sith's.
Spoiler
Thanks for showing us you listen to our feedback, Bioware!
Join the Galactic Referral Army today and see the galaxy! (with a free character transfer and some other shiny Cartel Market unlocks!)
Want more Class stories? Let Bioware know!

NikolaSuki's Avatar


NikolaSuki
09.08.2013 , 04:09 AM | #40
Revan isn't dead.No body to loot :P but also Drew Karpyshyn said that there is no proof of his death.
My only complaint is why is this a FP for such low lvl and not lvl 50-55 (55 is DLC so I could understand that but 50 is no excuse) as a character like that would not be so weak to be done solo.(If it was lvl 50 he would not have been able to be soloed [Reason I say solo is cuz I've seen a video on YT where lvl 46 I beleve soloes him])