Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Difference between "Invalid Name" and "Name Unavailable"?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Customer Service
Difference between "Invalid Name" and "Name Unavailable"?

HyeJinx
03.02.2012 , 12:13 PM | #1
Just curious. Depending on what name I try to pick for my character it will either say "Invalid Name" or "Name Unavailable, Please Try Another"
Mandalore the Indomitable: Korvac (Scoundrel), Golden (Sage), Saren (Commando) & Morinth (Sentinel)
Rakata Mind Prison: Huntres (Juggernaut), Garruss (Powertech), Thorian (Assassin) & Vykos (Sniper)

Merouk
03.02.2012 , 12:18 PM | #2
I have no clue, but I would venture a guess that:

- invalid name: you're trying to use too many spaces, or # $ & or other invalid characters in the name

- name unavailable: someone else has already picked that name on that server

Sevon_Nefarious
03.02.2012 , 12:19 PM | #3
Name Unavailable means someone else already took that name. I've seen Invalid name before, and my best guess is that the name is reserved for some reason or another meaning nobody can take that name.....

quick...someone try "Anakin" and see what comes up...cant think of a better name to put on a reserve list than that...

Gamstun
03.02.2012 , 12:27 PM | #4
also name unavailable might mean that an NPC has that name.

I wanted the name Melkor (Silmarillion fan all my pets names are from the book lol) and it said unavailable.

so for a few days whenever i was on i'd always search for the name Melkor.

well one day i was running a quest and to my surprise I ran into a NPC named Melkor, which i'm assuming is why i couldn't use the name LOL
Lando-"I gotta say Boba, she's a beauty of a ship. Not quite sure about the name though...."

Gamstun
03.02.2012 , 12:28 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Sevon_Nefarious View Post
Name Unavailable means someone else already took that name. I've seen Invalid name before, and my best guess is that the name is reserved for some reason or another meaning nobody can take that name.....

quick...someone try "Anakin" and see what comes up...cant think of a better name to put on a reserve list than that...
i saw an Obyjuan and had to LOL
Lando-"I gotta say Boba, she's a beauty of a ship. Not quite sure about the name though...."

Sevon_Nefarious
03.02.2012 , 12:58 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Gamstun View Post
also name unavailable might mean that an NPC has that name.

I wanted the name Melkor (Silmarillion fan all my pets names are from the book lol) and it said unavailable.

so for a few days whenever i was on i'd always search for the name Melkor.

well one day i was running a quest and to my surprise I ran into a NPC named Melkor, which i'm assuming is why i couldn't use the name LOL

It might be true to an extent, maybe critical NPCs? I have a character with the same name as an NPC ive run across on my other character, so clearly it can't be all of them.

Hey...lurking customer service people, any answer? the curiosity is killing me!

Gamstun
03.02.2012 , 01:23 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Sevon_Nefarious View Post
It might be true to an extent, maybe critical NPCs? I have a character with the same name as an NPC ive run across on my other character, so clearly it can't be all of them.

Hey...lurking customer service people, any answer? the curiosity is killing me!
yeah he was a quest NPC not just some guy that doesn't do anything.