Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Is SWTOR dying?

Evuke
02.26.2012 , 08:29 PM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by glenbruton View Post
Pick whichever server the aussies go to. Its always full
funny you mention that, because the aussie server (the swiftsure) is about to become one of the lowest pop servers in the game when bw offers all the aussies free transfers off the swiftsure to the new dedicated aussie server.

i believe this is happening in early march

MashTactics
02.26.2012 , 08:29 PM | #12
5k players would account for like... 2 servers on a saturday.

How high was that guy when he drummed up those numbers?

Evuke
02.26.2012 , 08:30 PM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by MashTactics View Post
5k players would account for like... 2 servers on a saturday.

How high was that guy when he drummed up those numbers?
they are XFIRE users NOT swtor's total playerbase.

zomg

read this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xfire

xfire is used as a tool to measure pop trends

Telaan
02.26.2012 , 08:33 PM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by Evuke View Post
the 11,800 figure he quoted was obviously crossfire users, not the entire pop......who were you calling clueless?
Thank you captain obvious. We all know that basing a game's population on who uses xfire is an accurate data collection method......similar in nature to those who log on and collect data via /who in fleet. I'm sorry I didn't initially explain that line of thought for you.....
Kype Lightwave/Telaan Lightwave -Pot5- "Pistols' RP Apprentice"
Telaan Lightwave Pre-CU Jedi Knight -JKO- Bloodfin
Master LS/Master Defender/Healing 2xxx/Enhancer xxx3

Evilpingu
02.26.2012 , 08:37 PM | #15
TOR will continue to limp along for another year or so I think, but the lack of community feeling in the game will be its death.

At the core, TOR is not a terrible game by any means. Max-level is shambolic, but the 1-49 experience of questing and fairly entertaining (if a little thin) Warzone PvP keeps things interesting. Sure they dropped the ball on a ton of stuff, but other stuff eg: the questing system is the best I've encountered in any MMO.

What keeps MMOs alive is Community and IMHO this is where TOR fails the hardest. Still not having a proper server forum system is inexcusable. The game world is so wide-open and/or instanced off into little pockets of storyline that you barely even see anyone else. The "fleet" experience is also very underwhelming, most people hanging around either the GTN or the PvP quest giver.

Community keeps even the worst MMOs alive, but TOR's complete lack might spell its doom. Time will tell I guess...
Guildmaster of <Elusive> - The Haven for Mature, Drama-Free PvP Gaming on the Ven Zallow RP-PvP Server.
Visit http://elusiveguild.enjin.com to Apply!

Evuke
02.26.2012 , 08:37 PM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by Telaan View Post
Thank you captain obvious. We all know that basing a game's population on who uses xfire is an accurate data collection method......similar in nature to those who log on and collect data via /who in fleet. I'm sorry I didn't initially explain that line of thought for you.....
well it was obvious but you missed it still.

and xfire proved accurate measuring aoc's pop decline, WAR's pop decline and RIFT's pop decline, yet for some reason the data is not accurate for TOR right?

rift/war/aoc all had their dedicated fanbois too saying the pop wasn't dying, that xfire was wrong, that the pop was there it was just spread out more now etc etc etc.

we all know how well that worked out for them

if bw suck it up and act now to address the issue rather than burying their heads in the sand to protect their egos and the EA share price then they could still save it:

merge servers
fix ilum
add more wz's, 3 maps is pathetic by anyone's standards.

maticlandarr
02.26.2012 , 08:38 PM | #17
Pve game will be alive and well (for all its mediocrity) for awhile.

Pvp game is at the least, terminally ill.

Neamocoob
02.26.2012 , 08:49 PM | #18
forget the quitters, yes there is imbalances etc. Lets talk MERGES
missing the old days or perhaps i am getting to old.

dustintkurucar
02.26.2012 , 08:55 PM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by Elysion View Post
The servers they opened up post release to satisfy the queue complainers are, as expected by me and everyone else who understood how mmo launches work.

My server has good population and faction balance.
mine as well. at primetime i've seen it hit 300+ and ive never seen less than 70 players on the fleet. also factions are very well balanced.

CptKloss
02.26.2012 , 08:57 PM | #20
of course xfire usage data is roughly accurate, 11k is statistically significant number, and unless you can show why only xfire people are quitting, they're also a representative for trends of a whole population. 12k to 5k in 2 months would translate to about 2m to 800k total pop.... which is quite optimistic, comes march 18 and failure of 1.2, they'll be lucky to get 0.5m to renew for the 3rd month.
"Please tell me Kenny is blowing up a man-shaped balloon"