Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

SWTOR is too hard for me

GaratWinterborne
02.24.2012 , 04:01 AM | #21
This may be a silly question, but are you aware of the second tab on the skill trainer? The one for your advanced class skills? My wife went five levels into Vanguard without picking up a single Vanguard skill because she missed it!

Bad HCI design tbh, we are pretty much trained by years of computer applications to expect tabs to be at the top rather than the bottom so it is remarkably easy to miss them.

haliy
02.24.2012 , 04:02 AM | #22
- Check your gear and when i say check it, i mean make sure your gear is at or near your current level. This includes the mods that you have in your weapons or gear

- Make full use of your inturrupts every time you see the bosses start casting. Otherwise, your either going to get hit pretty hard or your going to find the boss that you finnaly got down to half health back to full health

- Send in your companion first to build up initial aggro then go in shortly after.

- make sure you have all the skills trained from your trainer.
MOSAIC - JEDI COVENANT
Guild Website
Haliy - 55 Sentinel ~ Windigo - 55 Shadow ~ Kája - 55 Sage
Vindeta - 55 Commando ~ Snapshote - 55 Operative

CeruleanNite
02.24.2012 , 04:05 AM | #23
I really wish the OP would provide more information.

The suggestions (for the most part) are all really good, but it is hard to try and tune in without knowing more.

haliy
02.24.2012 , 04:08 AM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by CeruleanNite View Post
I really wish the OP would provide more information.

The suggestions (for the most part) are all really good, but it is hard to try and tune in without knowing more.
I took the "All of my bosses (especially story mission bosses)" into consideration
MOSAIC - JEDI COVENANT
Guild Website
Haliy - 55 Sentinel ~ Windigo - 55 Shadow ~ Kája - 55 Sage
Vindeta - 55 Commando ~ Snapshote - 55 Operative

Jaymanus
02.24.2012 , 04:12 AM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by demonskies View Post
are you interupting? interupts make almost every class boss a joke. also make sure your as close to the level of the quest as possible. another thing you might want to do is get better gear for your companion. just some helpful options. class quests shouldnt be that hard. I know a few times on my toons I took a death on a class boss then looked at the fight and realized i stood in some aoe he had but didnt see it or there was something to interrupt and i missed it.
^ This is a BIG one, especially if you are not DPS spec'd and the boss can heal them self's
Spoiler
because they can just heal through the damage you put out. If you are interrupting, make sure you are interrupting the 'correct' (matter of opinion I guess) skills, because interrupting a minor damage channel is not going to be as effective as interrupting a heal or big damage move.

kitharen
02.24.2012 , 04:14 AM | #26
The first time I ran into slight problems with a class quest has been on my Jedi Knight. And with problems I mean I couldn't defeat the mob one-handed with the laptop on my left thigh while talking to my wife.
"So uncivilized..."

Stoofa
02.24.2012 , 04:17 AM | #27
The key things I've learnt with regards story bosses.
Crowd Control - as long as it's an Elite, control him while you take out all his mates.

Interupt, interupt, interupt.

That is all
Good luck.

Talahar
02.24.2012 , 04:28 AM | #28
I've had a couple of story bosses that got pretty frustrating.
But as many have said before, and what were my problems at the times as well:

- make sure you are geared properly!
At one time, all it took to finally beat the boss I had problems with was to turn in the quests
I did near him to get the quest rewards. Equipped them, was the final push i needed.

- remember to use the planet commendations to update your gear as well

- make sure your skills are trained! <-- VERY IMPORTANT

- check your companion's skills
for single elite bosses you might want to deactivate AOE skills of your companion.
If your companion uses those against single enemies, it results in a lower dps over all.

- interrrupt the right attacks/heals of the boss
if he/she doesn't get off high damage attacks you live longer,
if he/she doesn't get off heals he'll die faster.

You don't need to be uberleet to play the game, but a little work is required.
Hope this helps!

And just because I can, a quote by Georg Zoeller to the topic:
Quote: Originally Posted by GeorgZoeller View Post

A few general notes on challenging fights.

One of the most important aspects of higher level fights against elites is to counter their special abilities. You are required to use your interrupting abilities (e.g. Distraction on the Imperial Agent) in these fights to prevent these enemies from gaining the upper hand. In the short term, stuns and ballistic attacks/knockback will also help, but your interrupt abilities have the added benefit of preventing the target from using their special abilities.

Make sure your companion is properly equipped and that their signature abilities are enabled. For example, if you rely on your companion to take the brunt of the beating in a fight, make sure their 'defensive stance' is activated. Turn off their area of effect abilities when you're fighting single enemies - they are not efficient for these fights. You can enable/disable abilities by opening your companion panel (~ by default) and right clicking the ability. The green indicator on an ability tells you if a companion will consider the ability for use in their AI rotation.

Do not underestimate the benefit of stims and relics as short term efforts to turn the tide. Same goes for your 20 minute 'heroic moment' ability (the one that only works with your companion and triggers the music).

This sounds obvious, but make sure that your skill points (k) are distributed and that you've trained primary your abilities to level.

Finally, if all else fails, gaining additional equipment, levels or bringing a friend along to help with a challenging fight can be used to overcome temporary blocks. However, be advised that if you run into constantly very challenging fights, it is a good indication that your equipment might need updating.

All these notes aside, we are looking at difficulty issues constantly. If we find a trend that indicate a certain fight is broken or a specific advanced class has issues, we will act accordingly. If you want to provide additional insights, such as your character's spec, your approach to combat, your companion or a particular fight you would like us to look at, please feel free to do so in this thread.

regards
Georg
Darth Banish, Twi'Lek Sorcerer 55, The Progenitor
Major Gyllian Talahar, Human Commando 55, The Progenitor
Captain Galen Talahar, Human Gunslinger 39, The Progenitor
SGR Supporter

grucho
02.24.2012 , 04:34 AM | #29
This is not WoW, you don't faceroll mobs here. Be glad you actually have something challenging, instead of mindless grind you forget about in a moment.

Sambril
02.24.2012 , 04:38 AM | #30
A lot of good advice here. I'd just thought I'd add my 2 credits. If you are using a healer companion be sure to protect them. If they start taking damage they will heal themselves which means less healing for you.

For single mobs this means keeping them out of aoe, dragging the mob away a little bit can help stop the aoes aimed at you from hitting your companion. If it is a group of mobs then you need to CC or grab agro from most or all of them so that your healer is safe.