Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Marriage and kids?


Xeperi's Avatar


Xeperi
05.27.2013 , 01:47 AM | #231
Quote: Originally Posted by Bytemite View Post
Not sure what that last line is supposed to mean... An insult?

Look up Zeus and Ganymede. Zeus and pedarastry were connected, and it was used as a religious justification for the mentorship system you just mentioned.

You used Zeus as an example of age differences between gods and mortals in mythology getting a brush off, and I mentioned a true fact that Zeus is a really bad example for your argument. These stories emphasize the age differences - though they present them as an ideal, in opposition to our modern value systems.

So far the conversation has been about age differences in romantic relationships in general, and not specifically about conception with very young humans - I'm not even sure where that came from, or why you would think my counter-argument against the Zeus example is outside the scope of the discussion.

In any case there is no reason to make whatever personal allegation that was that you added at the end. However, if you don't want to fathom my point of view, that is fine and understandable, as I'm not sure I want to understand what you're accusing me of. I will again leave it at that.
Not wanting to fathom the mind that outputs molestation from an input of consenting relations between adults in mythology or game lore is more about not wanting to experience the kind of pain that would process the information in that way. It isn't an insult, just a general, "...*Henry* is wayyyyyyyyyyyyyy over-sensitive to subject *x*, I would not like to put myself in whatever place Henry was put to make him so over-sensitive.".

Xeperi's Avatar


Xeperi
05.27.2013 , 01:58 AM | #232
Quote: Originally Posted by Dallayna View Post
Yes. It is between two adults. If you have been reading my previous posts, you would know that I agree that it is.

However.

I can also understand that some people are just so creeped by the the thought of it not being between adults- even in the hypothetical that they just would not or could not accept that 10 year old Chiss as being an adult to them. Call it erring on the side of caution to the point of almost silliness- but, I still have to admit that I understand that viewpoint is coming from their adherence to decency and respect as according to our norms so, I can hardly look down on them for having that point of view.
I can see that, and I can also understand where people are coming from. To me the broader issue is how much do we allow our sensitivity to what can potentially offend other people, affect what we say, the kinds of fiction we write, and so on. To me, the moral legitimacy of consensual romantic relations between adults is RATIONAL, and dare I say, even humanist. When enough of us fail to stand up for reason, ESPECIALLY where moral legitimacy is concerned, then we watch as those 'norms' slowly become predicated on irrational subjective prejudices. As a result, we become less humane, not more humane. The 'norms' become narrower and more arbitrary...not good stuff.

SithKoriandr's Avatar


SithKoriandr
05.27.2013 , 06:45 AM | #233
Quote: Originally Posted by Xeperi View Post
I can see that, and I can also understand where people are coming from. To me the broader issue is how much do we allow our sensitivity to what can potentially offend other people, affect what we say, the kinds of fiction we write, and so on. To me, the moral legitimacy of consensual romantic relations between adults is RATIONAL, and dare I say, even humanist. When enough of us fail to stand up for reason, ESPECIALLY where moral legitimacy is concerned, then we watch as those 'norms' slowly become predicated on irrational subjective prejudices. As a result, we become less humane, not more humane. The 'norms' become narrower and more arbitrary...not good stuff.
Exactly. If people don't like the subject they can not play the game or walk away from the discussion.
"It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more...than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so *********** what." - Stephen Fry

AlrikFassbauer's Avatar


AlrikFassbauer
05.27.2013 , 08:33 AM | #234
To me, SWTOR simply isn't the place for having an in-game family.
The game's style imho simply doesn't support it.
Especially when you beliieve that children should grow up in an silent read : enemy-free area, at least to some extend. Violence-free.
Because I don't believe that an completely enemy-free area will ever come to SWTOR. The whole genre is currently overfilled with hack & slay games.

SithKoriandr's Avatar


SithKoriandr
05.27.2013 , 08:36 AM | #235
Quote: Originally Posted by AlrikFassbauer View Post
To me, SWTOR simply isn't the place for having an in-game family.
The game's style imho simply doesn't support it.
Especially when you beliieve that children should grow up in an silent read : enemy-free area, at least to some extend. Violence-free.
Because I don't believe that an completely enemy-free area will ever come to SWTOR. The whole genre is currently overfilled with hack & slay games.
Yes, because no one ever has families in war ravaged areas.
"It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more...than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so *********** what." - Stephen Fry

Elisaveta's Avatar


Elisaveta
05.27.2013 , 09:54 AM | #236
"My kid is going to be born with a blaster in one hand and credits in the other"
My gunslinger has already thought this through. I would enjoy seeing the personal storylines expanded upon in the game. I think kids would be an interesting option even if they are just little NPC children (Like Fable). But I don't see it happening.
Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.
Carl Sagan

Xeperi's Avatar


Xeperi
05.27.2013 , 05:01 PM | #237
To me,, "having a family" in a game like this is more about continuing story-lines and so on. Ideally, after I beat the game with character #1 and marry my favorite comp, it would be cool to have a cinematic showing the birth/adoption of the kid(s), a little highlight reel of the kid growing up/parents growing older together,, and then you get pick the class and play the game again as the kid. But unless they come up with brand new content and advance the entire universe along, there are a bunch of continuity issues.

The only game I have played that is anything like that is Highergrounds (a re-engineered version of the neverwinter nights mmo) where you can take a portion of the xp from toon #1, retire that toon (as in agree to never play it again) and put the xp into a new toon that you've reincarnated into. But that game has the continuity issues solved and more end game content than any game I've seen yet (at least 50% of the content is level 60-80,, 80 being the final highest level). So people would commonly "reincarnate" their character at level 60.

Unfortunately, I don't ever see anything like that happening with swtor.

Bytemite's Avatar


Bytemite
05.27.2013 , 08:59 PM | #238
Quote: Originally Posted by Xeperi View Post
I can see that, and I can also understand where people are coming from. To me the broader issue is how much do we allow our sensitivity to what can potentially offend other people, affect what we say, the kinds of fiction we write, and so on. To me, the moral legitimacy of consensual romantic relations between adults is RATIONAL, and dare I say, even humanist. When enough of us fail to stand up for reason, ESPECIALLY where moral legitimacy is concerned, then we watch as those 'norms' slowly become predicated on irrational subjective prejudices. As a result, we become less humane, not more humane. The 'norms' become narrower and more arbitrary...not good stuff.
Oh, I'm not some alarmist saying OMG THERE SHOULD BE LAWS, I'm just talking.

Really, EVERY kind of relationship between adults at similar ages of any gender combination is just as disturbing as wildly different ages and etc. I don't try to understand any of it - hormonal intoxication leads to questionable choices then loss of control then weird unhygienic fluid swapping ritual then in certain cases H.R. Giger spawn growing in an abdomen then a horror moment or hours of blood and screaming. Then result feeds on more body fluid for about a year before becoming something that approximately resembles a person.

...Yeah, um, circle of life. Yaaaaaay. /deadpan

Mostly I'm trying to reason out why some of these relationships seem to be more screwed up and objectionable than others, and my best guess is an even playing field hypothesis.

Yermog's Avatar


Yermog
05.28.2013 , 09:00 AM | #239
Quote: Originally Posted by Elisaveta View Post
"My kid is going to be born with a blaster in one hand and credits in the other"
My gunslinger has already thought this through. I would enjoy seeing the personal storylines expanded upon in the game. I think kids would be an interesting option even if they are just little NPC children (Like Fable). But I don't see it happening.
Personally I kind of think they're going to have a story arc where by some accident or cruel plot either you or your romantic partner is made sterile or you have to give up a kid right after you give birth to it. That would fit into the general SWTOR plot lines nicely I think.

But yes, kids I think are never going to happen. I think the writers just tossed that last convo in there for people who might like that discussion. Not that I didn't, but it confuses me a bit.

Although it would be really neat to see how the spouses react to loosing a child/giving it up/never being able to have one.

Roodbot's Avatar


Roodbot
05.28.2013 , 10:29 AM | #240
Quote: Originally Posted by Yermog View Post
Personally I kind of think they're going to have a story arc where by some accident or cruel plot either you or your romantic partner is made sterile or you have to give up a kid right after you give birth to it. That would fit into the general SWTOR plot lines nicely I think.
You're so mean!
Once you go tank, you never go back!