Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Marriage and kids?

maxetius
02.29.2012 , 05:09 PM | #101
Legacy children - seperate class, seperate story, unlocked by completing certain characters/romance.

Workable, but defintly expansion material.

And i'd say it's planned or in the works. Because you are simply beat over the head and shoulders with it too often [every Romanced Companion goes, "blah Legacy blah children blah ad nauseam" at some point] for it to be nothing.

Ex:

'Our children will be the most powerful things the galaxy has ever seen!' -Jaessa

' I will instruct your children on the teachings of the Sith.' - Scourge.

etc.

So... eventually.

Yermog
03.01.2012 , 04:14 PM | #102
Any such thing with kids would have to be short, I should think, as it'd probably be difficult to create a long story for a character's kid. Unless they worked something out in a way that I cannot think of at this very moment.

MuzzaFuzza
03.01.2012 , 05:20 PM | #103
Kids in expansions?

Oh lord..

If that's true, i demand a Condom vendor, so this won't happend!
Jţmbob - Vanguard | Norway - Scoundrel Alphazard - Juggernaut | ShinodÓ - Mercenary
Return of Yavin Tomb of Freedon Nadd Impetus Norvegicus

Kikilicious
03.01.2012 , 11:31 PM | #104
While I can see children as a cool opition for some characters of mine, others I can't see it working. For example, my main, a Chiss Bounty Hunter named Alaina, I can't see her having children (not that I can't, it just doesn't seem safe, being the most feared hunter in the galaxy). However, my alternate, a Human Imperial Agent named DaaÚ (yes, I got it from Phantom) can be pictured having kids. There should be an opition, if it's ever implamented, it would be fun.

Quote: Originally Posted by Kiralai View Post
Some companions will bring up adoption if you're separate races? That's interesting. I had no idea. I guess I assumed that since Sith "purebloods" and humans could reproduce that a majority of the humanoid races could do the same.

Any examples of a pair that brings up adoption rather than conception?
It just depends on the race. I picked a Chiss Bounty Hunter. The Chiss are genetically identical to humans, though they have blue skin and the glowing red eyes. I beleive that (or so I've read) that, after he proposes, Torian says something in Mando'a like "We are one together, as one apart. We will raise warriors." So, it would probably apply to the close linked races, while the otehrs can adopt.
Asania Tapfer'keit : Chiss : Bounty Hunter : Powertech

NRieh
03.02.2012 , 10:57 AM | #105
Quote:
The Chiss are genetically identical to humans, though they have blue skin and the glowing red eyes.
Link? Not found any proofs that any "near-human" is able to have human kids.

"just blue skin and glowing red eyes" point at huge differences, imo. We could try to take analogues like RL human, lets say, african+oriental, but that just can't work like this.

All "colours" in RL depend (mostly) on a level of ONE pigment, which is melanin. Everyone has it, some have more and some - less, depends on some factors, but it's not really the difference.

Mirialan should have something like "green"in (which is also different for each, as skin tone may vary from pale yellow to emerald green), chiss - some "blue"nin, which works same way for their race. But mirialan\chiss+human...seem to have a problem.

If there are any RL biologists\medics - I'd love to hear their thoughts about it, by the way. and\ or have (at last) some lore-wise facts.

Quote:
Oh lord..
If that's true, i demand a Condom vendor, so this won't happend!
Oh yess!!! Give us, biochems, an option to mix contraceptive stims and adrenals!!!
Use before blackscreens - or become a happy parents! Rakata ones are not consumed, critical ones last longer and add....uhm...sumsing to process.

Kikilicious
03.02.2012 , 11:28 PM | #106
Quote: Originally Posted by NRieh View Post
Link? Not found any proofs that any "near-human" is able to have human kids.

"just blue skin and glowing red eyes" point at huge differences, imo. We could try to take analogues like RL human, lets say, african+oriental, but that just can't work like this.

All "colours" in RL depend (mostly) on a level of ONE pigment, which is melanin. Everyone has it, some have more and some - less, depends on some factors, but it's not really the difference.

Mirialan should have something like "green"in (which is also different for each, as skin tone may vary from pale yellow to emerald green), chiss - some "blue"nin, which works same way for their race. But mirialan\chiss+human...seem to have a problem.

If there are any RL biologists\medics - I'd love to hear their thoughts about it, by the way. and\ or have (at last) some lore-wise facts.
I actually can't link my source. I read it in the physical copy of the Star Wars: The Offical Species guide. It said that the Chiss are genetically identical to humans, but the skin/eyes are a result of a larger concentration of oxygen on the planet and some glacial radiation.

I do realize that everyone has melanin. However, different skin colors in real life area result of the suns radiation and the human's location on the planet. For example, Africans are dark, as they were in a warmer area and the darker skin keeps them cool. When the humans migrated to Eruope/Asia, weather factors determined their physical appearence as well; the cold weather contributed to the lighter skin showing up in offspring.

So yeah, that's how I figure that the Chiss and Humans can breed. It's like a Black/White couple having a child. A blend of both. But, that's just my though process
Asania Tapfer'keit : Chiss : Bounty Hunter : Powertech

NRieh
03.03.2012 , 07:38 AM | #107
Quote: Originally Posted by Kikilicious View Post
I do realize that everyone has melanin. However, different skin colors in real life area result of the suns radiation and the human's location on the planet.
It's true, that colors somewhat depend on location and few other factors, but still it IS amount of same melanin pigment that varies and make skin color darker\lighter. Most common example - one can get browner in summer on a beach, and frekles are also not that rare. We do not get anything extra, we do not turn aliens, and in shown example changes are temporary.

Quote: Originally Posted by Kikilicious
So yeah, that's how I figure that the Chiss and Humans can breed. It's like a Black/White couple having a child. A blend of both. But, that's just my though process
Human+chiss =\= black human+white human. In our case similar couples would look something like "light-blue chiss+dark blue chiss" (or "pale olive mirialan+emerald green mirialan", or "yellow twi'lek+blue twi'lek")

The only "prooflink" we seem to have is a line from wookipedia, which states that "Biologically, many Near-Humans were capable of interbreeding with baseline Humans."
But "many" are not "all", and both no spieces or sources are named directly.

Quote: Originally Posted by Kikilicious
It said that the Chiss are genetically identical to humans, but the skin/eyes are a result of a larger concentration of oxygen on the planet and some glacial radiation.
"The Essential Guide to Alien Species" (as presented on wookipedia) does say that their skin\eye color somehow depend on amount of oxygen. "The more oxygen present, the more intense the color of their eyes and skin tone. " But I don't think it works as "pro", more likel "con" to me. If skin pigment is oxygen-sensitive (unlike ours) it does show we have more differenes, then "just a color". I can even name one common earthen thing, which does have blue hydroxide - it's copper. And in case it is somehow involved here - it should bring even more trouble for interbreeding. As it would point out on some huge methabolism differences.

Quote: Originally Posted by wookipedia
However, genetic analysis indicated that they (chiss) were an offshoot of humanity, and it was believed that moving underground led to a divergence between them and baseline Humans.
Divergence seem to be more "official" point, yes, but I also found the idea of convergent evolution. E.g this article http://www.eucantina.net/archives/11548 is written by biologist, and though it does not involve interbreeding questions - it has some interesting facts and ideas about biology of aliens in SWU. Also, even if taking "divergence" way, no one knows 100% are that "ofshoots" still able to reproduce with "original" humans after many ages of living in different parts of the galaxy.

So what we need is either lore-support (with inner "science" references) or real medical\biological facts, that would either support the idea of interbreeding among near-human spieces or kill it.

CapWinterz
03.03.2012 , 09:30 AM | #108
Why not have it so the kids only you can see? Like they run around on your ship and such, keeps everybody happy.
Mandatory Referral link aswell as FAQ.

NRieh
03.03.2012 , 12:19 PM | #109
Quote:
Why not have it so the kids only you can see? Like they run around on your ship and such, keeps everybody happy.
Something tells me you dont have kids. I wouldn't let mine running around my ship even if army of wookies were watching them. All the chances that on returning from mission we'd find no ship, no wookies and Gus tied to the smugglers hangar door.

MistressKiki
03.03.2012 , 12:34 PM | #110
While I am sure that the choice to virtually procreate should be introduced (somehow) I won't be doing that. I honestly can't see how having a child would really help my smuggler character to become more "complete". And I am 100% sure she wouldn't bother to get 'married' if she did. That, and how on earth would she manage daycare while kicking Imp backside??? No - not adding anything imo. If anything, taking away. And I say that as a RL parent who adores her son.