Is Star Wars a view of the post-singularity future?

delamancha

I read an article that talked about SWTOR's success and suggests that SWTOR gives players a look into what the world would be like at after the singularity:

http://singularityhub.com/2012/02/14/latest-game-in-the-star-wars-universe-cost-200-million-inspires-millions-to-envision-the-post-singularity-world/

Seems like technology is bringing Star Wars closer to reality every day. I'd like someone to trick out my bluetooth earpiece to give me more cunning and power throughout the day. But I think the discovery of the hyperdrive would be the thing that permanently changes the course of human history.

What SWTOR tech would change the world so much that things would never be the same?

[EDIT: I originally asked what would be the most awesome tech, but I changed it when I started thinking about the article and the singularity more.]

Edited by delamancha

It seems that the technology for flying cars has been around for a long time.

The issue with them isn't technology, but logistics. if people crash into each other in two dimensions, what will they do with a third that makes gravity pretty unforgiving?

Give me a droid.

It must know how to hoover, cook and do the laundry.

Then I can bring it out while my wife is at work to do all my jobs for me while me and my PS3 snuggle down to some Dark Souls. When my missus gets home she'll think i've worked really hard all day.

I read an article that talked about SWTOR's success and suggests that SWTOR gives players a look into what the world would be like at after the singularity:

http://singularityhub.com/2012/02/14/latest-game-in-the-star-wars-universe-cost-200-million-inspires-millions-to-envision-the-post-singularity-world/

Seems like technology is bringing Star Wars closer to reality every day. I'd like someone to trick out my bluetooth earpiece to give me more cunning and power throughout the day. But I think the discovery of the hyperdrive would be the thing that permanently changes the course of human history.

What SWTOR tech would change the world so much that things would never be the same?

[EDIT: I originally asked what would be the most awesome tech, but I changed it when I started thinking about the article and the singularity more.]

This is one of those questions where the answer would be, "Everything, really." You've already pointed out the hyperdrive, and I don't think anyone needs to explain why that would change humanity permanently. But, so would something as simple as Stormtrooper armour, as it would drastically improve the safety of a soldier's life, making a country less reluctant to send him or her to war.

The repulsor lift, which would remove the need to have sprawling airports and long approach lanes for landing aircraft. This would allow more aircraft to be in the air at the same time.

Shielding, which would not only be practical for military use, but also in power generation, weather control, and even traffic safety.

Power couplers, which would eliminate the need for transmission lines, drastically reducing the risk of wide-spread power failures.

If I had to choose just one, though? I'd say it would be the droid AI. A computer that can reason and think on its own, with minimal input from human error? The moment an actual, fully functional AI is developed, all other technological development will go through the roof.

Edited by Kharnis

give me their med tech... fully natural working/looking cybernetics and bacta/kolto tanks... anything that doesn't outright kill you can basically be fixed in SW... I would have had so much more fun when I was in the USMC if we had that cause ya know dying was never scary it was the living crippled that was :p

give me their med tech... fully natural working/looking cybernetics and bacta/kolto tanks... anything that doesn't outright kill you can basically be fixed in SW... I would have had so much more fun when I was in the USMC if we had that cause ya know dying was never scary it was the living crippled that was :p

I agree with this. The medical technology would change everything.

This is one of those questions where the answer would be, "Everything, really." You've already pointed out the hyperdrive, and I don't think anyone needs to explain why that would change humanity permanently. But, so would something as simple as Stormtrooper armour, as it would drastically improve the safety of a soldier's life, making a country less reluctant to send him or her to war.

The repulsor lift, which would remove the need to have sprawling airports and long approach lanes for landing aircraft. This would allow more aircraft to be in the air at the same time.

Shielding, which would not only be practical for military use, but also in power generation, weather control, and even traffic safety.

Power couplers, which would eliminate the need for transmission lines, drastically reducing the risk of wide-spread power failures.

If I had to choose just one, though? I'd say it would be the droid AI. A computer that can reason and think on its own, with minimal input from human error? The moment an actual, fully functional AI is developed, all other technological development will go through the roof.

I'd say that Hyperdrive would be the ultimate cumulation of all those ideas.

to build a hyperdrive, you'd need shielding to survive even near lightspeed or high impulse travel, even a spec of dust becomes a dangerous projectile without deflector shields to repel them.

Repulsors would be needed to get a ship into orbit, at least if space travel were ever to become accessible to the point of a family saving up for a space van to plan their trip to Disney "world".

Power couplers and more efficient power transfer devices would have to be developed to power the drives/shields, and advanced computers and A.I's would be needed to plot courses and make calculations etc.

individually all these technologies would surely push humans forward, but they'd all be needed for the Hyperdrive to become a reality.

but hyperdrive or faster then light travel, thats what will REALLY push humans to the next level, colonies on other worlds, theories that could be proved or dis-proved, potential contact with other species, it would open up a whole new chapter in human existence.

Forget what country you were born in, in a few thousand years, we'll be asking which planet you were born on, even if it's just Mars.

If I had to choose just one, though? I'd say it would be the droid AI.

yeah, I'm leaning AI now too.

Robotics is right on the cusp of a revolution, but hyperdrive is likely far in the future. AI could transform the world so quickly that we'd wake up and be like, "What? There's only jobs for like 5% of people? What now?"

how about more MMOs to keep people entertained? lol