Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Ilum - Will it ever be remade? Does Bioware maybe think that it is "fine" and fun?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
Ilum - Will it ever be remade? Does Bioware maybe think that it is "fine" and fun?

Teabaker
02.15.2012 , 12:34 AM | #1
EDIT: I'm NOT talking about Faction Imbalance. Yes, that's also a problem but a minor one. I'm talking about how awful the Ilum-Concept overall is.

Does someone here think that Ilum is fine and fun? That it's indeed a great Zone? For me it's actually one of the worst PvP-Zones and PvP-Experience i have ever had and saw. It's so bad, awful designed and it has an incredible amount of flaws and bugs. And, the most important part, it's unfun.

So please tell me, what is Bioware thinking? Why aren't they talking about Ilum? Do they think that Ilum will fix itself? How could a Company like Bioware release Ilum in that State? (<- My biggest Question actually). Why didn't they remove Ilum before Release, revamp it and reintroduce it with a later Patch? Don't tell me that the Game Designer thought that Ilum is fun. Bioware isn't a bad Game Company.

Also here is a Video of my Guardian:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTMGq...40FFHH3A25oEpg

That's how i do my Ilum Daily.

DirtyDiggler
02.15.2012 , 12:45 AM | #2
PvP We have an entire team dedicated to adding content and features to player vs. player. We have some of the most experienced PvP developers in the world on this team. So far very few people have seen, or know much about the stunning Open World PVP on Ilum; when you get to the high levels prepare to be blown away!

Love

Bioware

KonstantinT
02.15.2012 , 12:48 AM | #3
There's no strategy in Ilum. That's the problem. It's half baked and rushed just to have something ready by release date. No choke points, no real objectives to be anywhere on the map. It's too easy to take control points, even for a single person. Valor buff is nice and all, but it always goes to those with more people, simple math. Picking up munitions around central point that count for 1 kill each is a stupid way to lure people to the middle. With population imbalance that pretty much makes more numerous faction circle middle riding around looking for munitions since the other faction will never go there.

They'll do something with it. I'm hoping for something resembling Warhammer open world PVP. Hopefully vastly improved and fitted to Star Wars lore. It's not perfect by far, but sadly it's 100 times more fun and diverse than Ilum is right now.

MetalT
02.15.2012 , 12:51 AM | #4
You can't call faction imbalance a minor issue in ilum. It is a major issue with ilum and the current design of ilum heavily favors the dominant faction. I would actually say that Server imbalance is the number one reason that ilum fails.

kickinhead
02.15.2012 , 12:54 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Teabaker View Post
EDIT: I'm NOT talking about Faction Imbalance. Yes, that's also a problem but a minor one.
A MINOR ONE?

On our server, there are constantly 2-5 times the Imps on Ilum than Reps and this is a MINOR problem? I don't care if it's fun or not as long as it's completely imbalanced and almost unplayable for reps on so many servers.

I tried getting my daily today so I got up at 4 o' clock in the morning to farm some Armaments: I was alone on the rep side and there were 5 imps in the middle! Guess how many Points I got for my daily in ~4 hours were I constantly tried to sneak an Armament/kill.... 2!!!!

And during that time, the most Reps I saw at the same time were 2 and as soon as they saw the 5-10 Imps in the middle, they immediately left.

First - solve this issue by making Ilum a cross-server instance, then we can talk about how we can make it more fun and stuff.

Madwooki
02.15.2012 , 01:16 AM | #6
Fix Illum Fps issues. Until this is done nothing else matters.
Nvm I forgot game engine cant handle mass pvp my bad.....

Cygnific
02.15.2012 , 01:35 AM | #7
80% of the pvp area is wasted space. I rush to center to get boxes, and fight the same 5 to 15 (if it's a buzy day) people over and over again.

KonstantinT
02.15.2012 , 01:38 AM | #8
As to making Ilum/Hero Engine faster...

I recently put together a new computer (Intel i7-2600k, 8Gigs ram, Radeon HD 6950 1 gig). Before I was playing on a 2 year old laptop (laptop is Intel i7 q720, 4Gig ram, Mobile Radeon HD 5730 1 gig). Old laptop was fine for pve, even warzones, but on lowest settings. Ilum was a slideshow when a lot of people showed up, could do some 1v1 here and there. No slow downs on new computer on max settings, even in Ilum during zerg fights.

This game simply requires a much more powerful system than other MMOs. In other words you can't say "My computer can run WoW so it should run this just as well". Sure they will optimize it some more, but there's no magic, only so much can be done through software. Might have to look into upgrading hardware on your side instead of waiting for BW to fix everything for you.

Even when Ilum runs smooth it still boring and stupid, I wouldn't even go there if it wasn't for daily/weekly. That's a much bigger problem.

PS: SSD makes a HUGE difference in load times.

dartann
02.15.2012 , 02:01 AM | #9
Ilum PVP to me is a grind with no strategy involved. I don't ever go there unless i have to do the weekly/ daily.

It does show the lack of emphasis placed on end game world pvp by BW and its a shame as i thought the 3 wzs were done quite well. Changing the concept of Ilum pvp so quickly after launch is a clear sign the devs wished they had spent more time and effort to come up with a more creative, engaging and fun pvp model.

A revamp of the concept is required to inject playability into the zone. People should feel like doing an Ilum run apart from the weekly/ daily requirements. There are a plethora of pvp concepts in the market and having a look at them and perhaps plagarising some of them might not be such a bad idea.

trajic
02.15.2012 , 02:07 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by DirtyDiggler View Post
PvP We have an entire team dedicated to adding content and features to player vs. player. We have some of the most experienced PvP developers in the world on this team. So far very few people have seen, or know much about the stunning Open World PVP on Ilum; when you get to the high levels prepare to be blown away!

Love

Bioware
Ya i was blown away, right to the unsub button.