Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Getting Nvidia Control Panel to override settings

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > New Player Help
Getting Nvidia Control Panel to override settings

Rawhyde
12.15.2011 , 05:11 PM | #1
Is there a way to get SWTOR to play nicely with Nvidia Control Panel (for reference, I'm using a 560ti with driver version 285.62 64-bit)?

I was hoping things would change for this since my time in beta, either via SWTOR directly or by a new Nvidia driver release. Neither happened ... soooo ... since searching the forums is also offline I'm going to create what is probably a duplicate thread. If you have a link to something that answers #1 below, feel free to just point me at it and move me along.

I am sure there were threads about hacking my Nvidia settings but all the threads I find via Google are missing.

I have 2 issues:

1) I'd like to force AA on but it seems like even when I try to set "enhance" in Control Panel, SWTOR refuses to use AA.

2) Ever since beta I've been stuck in a mode where I have "launcher.exe" in my custom apps (I tried to add it by hand) and when I try to delete it, the control panel client freezes up and has to be force-closed. Nvidia settings is still in my tray, so its just the client, but I have no clue how to clean this up.

Thanks!

Caje
12.15.2011 , 05:26 PM | #2
Here ya go:

-My computer

-C Drive

-Users

-Your pc/user name folder

-Next, click on the search bar at the top and type C:\users\"pc name"\AppData

-press enter

-click Local

-Click on the SWTOR folder

-click on the other swtor folder

- settings

- client_settings

-then add the line, AntiAliasingLevel = 8

you can also make it 16 instead of 8, depending on your machine. Hope this helps!

Not sure about #2, sorry.

Wapner
12.15.2011 , 05:28 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by Caje View Post
Here ya go:

-My computer

-C Drive

-Users

-Your pc/user name folder

-Next, click on the search bar at the top and type C:\users\"pc name"\AppData

-press enter

-click Local

-Click on the SWTOR folder

-click on the other swtor folder

- settings

- client_settings

-then add the line, AntiAliasingLevel = 8

you can also make it 16 instead of 8, depending on your machine. Hope this helps!

Not sure about #2, sorry.

Wait, does that really work to force AA? Do you happen to know the cvar to turn off mouse acceleration? :P

Rawhyde
12.15.2011 , 05:41 PM | #4
Thanks, that did work for me to get AA enabled. And shortly after I found some other tweaks, not all of which seem to be working. However, the following in my config do work and the tweaks to shadows + AA definitely make my eyes happier.

I'm removing the things that were set by installing, like resolution and bloom, and just adding the bits that I had to add.

MeshLODQuality = 1
TextureAnisotropy = 8
AntiAliasingLevel = 4
doShadows = true
doBlobShadows = true
VerticalSyncState = false
AllowDepthOfField = true
GammaRamp = 1.037854
SpeedTreeDistanceScale = 1.25
EnableAdvEnvirolighting = false
DebugAdvEnviroLighting = false

I'm MUCH happier with these settings than the default.

Wapner
12.15.2011 , 05:46 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Rawhyde View Post
Thanks, that did work for me to get AA enabled. And shortly after I found some other tweaks, not all of which seem to be working. However, the following in my config do work and the tweaks to shadows + AA definitely make my eyes happier.

I'm removing the things that were set by installing, like resolution and bloom, and just adding the bits that I had to add.

MeshLODQuality = 1
TextureAnisotropy = 8
AntiAliasingLevel = 4
doShadows = true
doBlobShadows = true
VerticalSyncState = false
AllowDepthOfField = true
GammaRamp = 1.037854
SpeedTreeDistanceScale = 1.25
EnableAdvEnvirolighting = false
DebugAdvEnviroLighting = false

I'm MUCH happier with these settings than the default.
Very nice. Where did you find these? Are they just in that file talked about above? That's so awesome, I've been hoping to get AA enabled, also being able to crank up the mesh LOD and Anistropy will be nice. Now I can't wait til I get home in about 30 mins. lol

Rawhyde
12.15.2011 , 05:47 PM | #6
yep, they all go in the same place as the AA setting. Found a few different places with the tweaks posted. I took out a couple of the tweaks I didn't care for.

Wapner
12.15.2011 , 05:48 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Rawhyde View Post
yep, they all go in the same place as the AA setting. Found a few different places with the tweaks posted. I took out a couple of the tweaks I didn't care for.
Cool. I know what I'm doing this evening. :P

WakeXT
12.15.2011 , 05:51 PM | #8
Anyone knows if SWTOR requests the same AF with its ingame setting as via driver forcing?

While playing Rift I've found a difference in image quality and performance (both was worse using the ingame setting) on AF when compared to being forced in the driver (and set to 0 ingame therefore).

Btw. according to a German hardware magazine the AA setting was pulled and it doesn't even work via the .ini setting currently in the release client because they had problems with it (client not starting for example).

Amarinth
12.15.2011 , 06:47 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by WakeXT View Post
Anyone knows if SWTOR requests the same AF with its ingame setting as via driver forcing?

While playing Rift I've found a difference in image quality and performance (both was worse using the ingame setting) on AF when compared to being forced in the driver (and set to 0 ingame therefore).

Btw. according to a German hardware magazine the AA setting was pulled and it doesn't even work via the .ini setting currently in the release client because they had problems with it (client not starting for example).
I haven't tried the texture anisotropy setting ingame (or the tweaked value in the ini) since it looked horrible with those in the last beta. I've just forced it through the driver (8xAF through the Nvidia Control Panel) as I did in the beta since that gave a much better visual back then and I assumed not much has changed. Some things seem to suggest it might be different now though...

So if anyone has directly compared the ingame "high" filtering setting, the ini anisotropy=8 setting and forcing 8xAF through Nvidia drivers, I'd love to hear/see the results of that comparison.

As for AA, it's still working fine when enabled through the ini file, at least for me. I haven't had any problems with the game not starting or crashing as a result of it and it seems to do as good a job as it did in the beta.
We all have our heroes. And when we watch them fall, we die inside...

Wapner
12.15.2011 , 07:00 PM | #10
So, I made it home and tried out the AA tweak (with a few others)...What is Bioware thinking leaving this stuff out of the base options???

The game looks just as nice as Rift/Aion with all the proper tweak, that are hidden in an ini file.