Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

if the OT were remade today...

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
if the OT were remade today...

Crito
02.15.2012 , 05:26 AM | #21
I agree with the sensible, rational people who have said that there is nothing wrong with discussing this. It really isn't any kind of heresy to think about a remake. It might even happen one day, but probably not for a very long time. Decades probably.

I totally disagree with absolutely every actor chosen by the OP (which is fine because we all have different opinions), but the thing that really riled me was this;

Quote: Originally Posted by Flowstrodamus View Post
we all know hollywood remakes can never live up to the original version (read "they're bad")
This is both trite and just not true. There is no fundamental law of the universe that says that a Hollywood remake is automatically bad. Sorry to get all film buff on you but, how about;

"True Grit". The Cohen Brothers remake was critically acclaimed, won several awards and was arguably better than the original.

"The Magnificent Seven". A classic and a remake of the Akira Kurosawa film "The Seven Samurai". Incidently, Kurosawa is well known to be a major influence on Lucas.

Kurosawa also made "Yojimbo" which was remade as "A Fist full of Dollars". Ok, it's not strictly Hollywood, but a remake none the less.

Jon Carpenter's "The Thing" is far better than the original 1950's movie, as is the 1970's version of "Invasion of the Bodysnatchers" with Donald Sutherland. "The Fly", "King Kong" (the Peter Jackson version, not the 1970's remake, which was poor) and "Little Shop of Horrors" are all brilliant, or how about "Cape Fear", "Scarface" or "Ocean's Eleven"?

There has also been a long tradition of making English language version of successful foreign films. "My Father the Hero" still makes me laugh, "Breathless" is a great film and we've recently had "Let me in" and "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" (which I personally think is a far superior film to the Swedish original - but then it is David Fincher behind it).

So, are Hollywood remakes automatically bad?

..and before anyone dares to say that these films are exceptions which proves the rule, I would argue that the majority of films, whether they are original screenplays, adaptations or remakes, are not very good. Being a remake has no bearing on quality.
"Entitlement" - The new Godwinism

kirorx
02.15.2012 , 09:26 AM | #22
No sure about brad pitt.

Han Solo: Brendon Fraser (he is cool and smirky)

Daederik
02.15.2012 , 09:47 AM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by kirorx View Post
No sure about brad pitt.

Han Solo: Brendon Fraser (he is cool and smirky)
LOL, I can picture this one!

He'd have to follow "...I have a bad feeling about this" with "I HATE MUMMIES!" though

If you kept my original idea of having Dwayne Johnson as Lando, I think it would be great!
"You move like an insect, you think like an insect, you are and insect. Take care not to fall too far out of my favor, patience is not characteristic of a goddess..." -Shodan

Toonimator
02.15.2012 , 02:44 PM | #24
Re: the SW TV series, it's been shelved indefinitely, since according to the producer and/or Lucas, each episode is just too expensive to make right now. Which really means, they really have no idea how to do their jobs.

You don't want each episode to cost $40 million (or whatever ridiculous number they had in mind)? COMPROMISE! It doesn't mean today what it did in 1976... it doesn't mean "Oh, it'd be too crazy to rotoscope a big monster puppet over that guy playing Jabba, so we've gotta cut the shot" (which arguably made the film better). It just means "Maybe we should streamline some stuff so every alien vista isn't populated by forests of jumping fungus with rainbow sky and an entire zoo of alien critters running around the town".

Looking at other reasonably successful (or, at least, well-received by fans if not Nielsen/networks) sci-fi shows, they managed to get a LOT of stuff done, and they were often deemed 'too expensive' with a fraction of what the SW show was estimated to cost.