Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Midi-chlorians VS. Mitochondria!

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
Midi-chlorians VS. Mitochondria!

NuclearPanda
02.10.2012 , 12:12 PM | #1
So in the prequels we got the whole explanation of midi-chlorians and how they are microscopic life-forms that reside within cells of all living things. Jedi can supposedly communicate with these organisms in some way to use and manipulate "The Force".

So this always got me thinking about the mysterious mitochondria that dwell within all of us in real life.

Mitochondria have always been referred to as the "powerhouse" of every cell. Without mitochondria we wouldn't live, exist or produce energy in any form. They are responsible for creating ATP, which powers literally everything and allows cells to function and work. (I won't get into a huge Biology lecture here, you can look up the various things you'd like).

So Mitochondria exist inside of us and all living cells. We also know about DNA and how important that is. All cells have DNA, but what is fascinating it mitochondria has ITS OWN INDEPENDENT DNA. Futhermore, it's more of a bacterial genome, signifying that it's a foreign organism that was introduced thousands of evolution cycles ago.

With mitochondria being responsible for making things work, EVERYTHING work, what if we were able to "communicate" with it in some way? By this I mean what if I could somehow stimulate those mitochondria to produce immense amounts of ATP, energizing my body to give super human strength? Attain speeds beyond belief? Propel my body to acrobatic feats of "Jedi-like" proportions? Manipulate mitochondria around me in other beings/organisms/molecules to suit my biddings?

Anyways, the similarities are there. With advances in biology/nanotech/etc growing at an exponential rate it's not that far fetched an idea to make something like this possible. The mitochondria truly are the "energy field created by all living things", "surrounds and penetrates living beings" and quite possibly could be what "binds the galaxy together" considering every organism we know HAS this organism.
Thank god I'm an Arsenal DPS and not a Bodyguard healer. Patch 1.2 is going to make them worthless.

Rasputaan
02.10.2012 , 12:13 PM | #2
I believe plant cells do not have them.

Some Botanist please confirm that.

If it is not within a Plant Cell it cannot be the midichlorians.
(███████████████████!█!█[]█!█!████████████████████)

NuclearPanda
02.10.2012 , 12:21 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by Rasputaan View Post
I believe plant cells do not have them.

Some Botanist please confirm that.

If it is not within a Plant Cell it cannot be the midichlorians.
Plant cells do indeed contain both Chloroplasts (which turn sunlight into glucose) and Mitochondria (which turns the glucose into ATP).

All living things need energy (ATP) to survive and function.

http://www.biology-online.org/11/1_p...imal_cells.htm
Thank god I'm an Arsenal DPS and not a Bodyguard healer. Patch 1.2 is going to make them worthless.

Rasputaan
02.10.2012 , 12:32 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by NuclearPanda View Post
Plant cells do indeed contain both Chloroplasts (which turn sunlight into glucose) and Mitochondria (which turns the glucose into ATP).

All living things need energy (ATP) to survive and function.

http://www.biology-online.org/11/1_p...imal_cells.htm
Bacteria, Virus and their entire Kingdom do not have mitochondria, do they?
(███████████████████!█!█[]█!█!████████████████████)

NuclearPanda
02.10.2012 , 12:43 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Rasputaan View Post
Bacteria, Virus and their entire Kingdom do not have mitochondria, do they?
They don't, but that is a discussion between the difference in Prokaryotic (bacterium, virii) and Eukaryotic cells (animal, plant and complex cells). Mitochondria are viewed as distant decendants of Prokaryotic cells and were most likely at one point their own independant organism, though we don't know how it came to be or was created or what it evolved from.

It's an interesting discussion on that level too. Scientists still to this day cannot properly classify things are what is "alive" and what isn't when it comes to defining the two cell types.

What we DO know is that mitochondria have an endosymbiotic relationship with all the "living" things that we do define currently and are the "force" which powers all of them.

MustrumRidcully
02.10.2012 , 01:24 PM | #6
As much as I really dislike the concept, yes, it always sounded to me as if midi-chlorians are kinda like mitochondria, just with something extra.

Or maybe they are actually more like chlorophyl? But instead of transforming light into energy, they transform force into energy, or something?

NuclearPanda
02.10.2012 , 01:37 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by MustrumRidcully View Post
As much as I really dislike the concept, yes, it always sounded to me as if midi-chlorians are kinda like mitochondria, just with something extra.

Or maybe they are actually more like chlorophyl? But instead of transforming light into energy, they transform force into energy, or something?

How do we know that the mitochondria don't already have that "something extra" and that we just don't know how to properly "communicate" with it yet? See my example about boosting the mitochondria to increase ATP (energy) production.

And you're a little mistaken about chlorophyl (specifically chloroplasts which are in plant cells). That is what converts sunlight to glucose (sugar). The mitochondria are still within plant cells and convert that glucose into ATP (energy).

Riotus
02.10.2012 , 01:51 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by MustrumRidcully View Post

CHLOROPHYL??!?!?!?!? MORE LIKE BOROPHYL!

Name that movie quote!

NuclearPanda
02.10.2012 , 03:23 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Riotus View Post
CHLOROPHYL??!?!?!?!? MORE LIKE BOROPHYL!

Name that movie quote!
LoL @ Billy Madison

omninull
02.10.2012 , 03:32 PM | #10
No, mitochondria is not magic. Mitochondria just allows for some pretty decent aerobic respiration. Even if it did have some mysterious power, it's not going to maintain that for billions of years of evolution without seeing any use.