Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Episode 1: 3D

Tarfang
02.10.2012 , 10:29 AM | #11
1. What made you think Valorum was backed by corporate interests? Palpatine wasn't lying when he said he was mired by baseless accusations of corruption. The corporate representitives in the senate would have wanted to see Valorum gone because he was the Chancellor to oversee the taxation legislation, he was no friend to the mega-corporations at all.

2. If midi-chlorians explained the Force to you perhaps you'd be so kind as to explain the Force to me.

3. Wasn't there a communications blackout?

4. Not really, he's the Chosen One. I'd expect him to be doing pretty amazing things even this early on.

5. I don't see the big problem here.

I completely agree with you on the creamtion of Qui Gon. Never got that. I can't really sit here and defend the acting talent either, except for maybe Shmi. I thought she did a good job of portraying a woman struggling to rein in her emotions for the sake of her son.
Lorn Vega - Gunslinger - Hydian Way

NuclearPanda
02.10.2012 , 10:48 AM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by internaty View Post
Sure i will bite.

First of what those any of that has to do with star wars episode one the phantom manace in 3 demeinal view?

Second we all know about the many mistake's made and while epesoide one if my favorite you dont have to like it.

Third there is no prove the supremme chancelor was corrupt that was just power play from palpitine and even if he was corrupt he just outlived his usefullness to the buracrats there not going risk there neck for a "employ"

fourth: We must move quikly to disable all communications down there aka avoid the republic from noticing what is going on.

Five: the entire point of episode one was to show how ineffecent the republic was.

Six: the main hero's where obi-one kanobi qui-gon-gin padme amadala and anakin skywalker
jarjar r2d2 C3PO captian panaka and smee skywalker(anakins mother) where support.

Seven: episode one is my favorite because it showed the republic befor the wars.
It was very hard to decipher your post, but I do have a few rebuttals.

1) The OP had nothing to say about the 3D of the movie, or the quality of it. My own personal view is 9 times out of 10 "post-processing" a movie into 3D does NOT make a very good conversion. I haven't seen the 3D version personally, and I probably won't, considering that I feel Episode 1 is the absolute worst in the whole hextalogy of Star Wars films.

2) There are too many "mistakes" and plot holes in the movie to count. I'm glad that it's your favorite but I have to say you are certainly in the minority.

3) I have no idea what you are talking about or what point you're trying to make with this one, so I'm just going to skip responding to that.

4) With all the technology available there is NO explanation on how they Empire could conceal the invasion for any extended period of time. No matter how fast they "worked to disrupt communication" it can't explain the lack of information available. Factor in the amount of people in the Senate who represent various planets and governments there is no way that Amidala should not have been believed after a period of time.

5) I thought the entire point of Episode 1 was to show Anakin as an "innocent" force capable child, destined as the one to bring "balance" to the Force and who progressed towards a darker path leading into Episode 2.

6) You cannot create a huge list of "protagonists". Having such a large list of "heroes" makes the plot only confusing and does not give the audience a single hero that they can relate to. See parts of the following infamous Phantom Menace review on Youtube.

7) This isn't a rebuttal, it's an opinion statement by yourself, and is a repetition of your second statement above.

Cheers!
Thank god I'm an Arsenal DPS and not a Bodyguard healer. Patch 1.2 is going to make them worthless.

LiquidHayter
02.10.2012 , 11:44 AM | #13
Thank you all for educated responses. I admit naming this thread "3D"mustve led some of you to believe I was talking about how the 3D looked. And in the OP I didnt say one word about it. Well, if you like to read the famous Star Wars introduction and subtitles, the 3D will certainly pop out at you. Other than that I didnt really notice it. It didnt win me over. I dont think this whole move to converting into 3D is a good idea, but eh, Lucas needs to feed his family. For everyone that did enjoy it, I am glad you are getting what you paid for: entertainment. And if you enjoyed it, good for you. /sincerity

Thank you all for your well educated responses.

During Amidala's Senate hearing, The Chancellor seems to be on her side, until Mas Amedda (the blue alien with horns that sticks around for Palpatines terms, and becomes part of the Imperial council after the rise of the Empire) whispers in his ear and then he totally decides pretty much, "Eff you, Amidala." We will settle this another day, and yada yada yada. I think this was actually done to show that he was in fact under bureaucrats power. After this, he also let the Trade Federation Representative speak over her through their objections, which two minutes prior would not. And thats when they asked more or less, for evidence, in which, amazingly, she had none.... Why she didnt show the little hologram of Sio Bibble i do not know..

I didnt post it, but i, too, have always thought why a Trade Federation would profit over a blockade that bans trading... How would that profit a Trade Federation??

Making Qui-Gon a main character is weird because, say what you will, he has so little to do with the saga as a whole.
For the record, I love both Liam Neeson and Jinn, with Jinn being probably my favorite Jedi.

I posted this because its been about ten years since I have watched this film. I was too young when it first came out, and not that I would ever go out of my way to defend these prequels, I always tried to accepting of what Lucas tried doing.. But man when you write a story that makes no sense with weird plot holes, its so hard to defend Star Wars.
Remember: Your focus determines your reality.. And I am focusing my blaster right in between your eyes.

valin-krai
02.10.2012 , 12:03 PM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by LiquidHayter View Post
I have just returned from watching Episode 1 in 3D, and I am completely baffled at some of the major plot points, among other things. I watched the midnight premiere back in its original release, and as a kid, I enjoyed it... Of course I enjoyed it, its Star effin Wars. This doesnt mean however that you can have such a stupid plot line up the rest of the saga.

1) The biggest plot hole is the decision for a vote of "No Confidence" in the former Supreme Chancellor. If he was backed by greedy corporations or bureaucrats, then while the hell would Amidala's proposal even get acknowledged, let alone get accepted? That makes absolutely no sense.
Read the novel Darth Plagueis

2) The whole midichlorian thing to explain the power of the Force.... I dont need to explain this, and if I do, you are on the wrong forum. Its dumb, pointless, and backwards.
It doesn't explain the Force, just why a Jedi can access it and others can't, read Darth Plagueis.

3) As technologically advanced as this universe is... Why did no one believe Amidala during her Senate hearing that Naboo was actually invaded?? I guess this galaxy has no form of media whatsoever.
Again, read Darth Plagueis, and realize there was a blockafe and communications blackout.

4) The whole Anakin blowing up a Trade Federation control ship is absurd...
To each their own, it was ridiculous that they built a massive ship the size of a moon too.

5) The lack of an actual main character baffles me too. If anyone knows who the real main character is in Episode 1, please explain this to me.
Doesn't need one. A New Hope didn't have one until 20 minutes in.

Other gripes, be it small or big, I guess:

No Han Solo-ish type characters in the prequels. We get to see plenty of bounty hunters, but no daring, charming character.. Although I feel like young Obi-Wan was quite charming throughout, just not the same as Han is.
Jar Jar is the Han, except unlike Han, he isn't brave or sly, just what we would be acting like if thrown on a Jedi adventure.

Do Jedi, or better yet, anyone in the future, not mind the smell of burning flesh? Theres better ways to burn a body..
Haha, it had to smell horrible in there.

I am not sure whether every cast member just did their absolute worse, or if the direction Lucas wanted were for cardboard acting... No one displays emotion.. I get the reason behind Jedi, as well as Queen Amidala, but Shmi? Padme? Especially Padme, through this character the Queen can say or show her emotions as she pleases. When C-3P0 shows more emotion than your actors.... Something may be wrong.

On the plus side:

Podracing!

Duel of the Fates!

Qui-Gon Jinn! = Liam Neeson

Natalie Portman!

::End gripes::
Answered to the best of my ability.
Kitster is the real hero of the Star Wars saga.

LimpBisquick
02.10.2012 , 12:36 PM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by valin-krai View Post
Answered to the best of my ability.
So read a novel to understand a movie, then?

Awarkle
02.10.2012 , 12:40 PM | #16
I will say this now i have watched the phantom menance in 3D i wont be watching any of the others.

Its not a bad attempt at converting a 2D film to 3D and i am sure i think they have redone all the CGI. i would have to compare them side by side but certain things in this film seemed far better.

For instance Jar Jar had a lot more flexibility in his movement (yeah i know they didnt airbrush him out)

The problem is i think they needed to go back to the main cgi Moments of the film and redo them from scratch with the 3D tech. so the starfighter fight at the end felt more in your face. and the large gugan vs droid fight would be a bit better.

But over all you could watch this movie and not actually notice any of the 3d you really do have to look for it.

JeedaiFiresaber
02.10.2012 , 12:46 PM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by LiquidHayter View Post
And thats when they asked more or less, for evidence, in which, amazingly, she had none.... Why she didnt show the little hologram of Sio Bibble i do not know..

not to mention..you know...the testament of the two JEDI KNIGHTS that were with her. I guess a Jedi's word isn't worth anything then?

I can have suspension of disbelief in a movie. lots of stuff in a movie doesn't make sense if you really take a close look. But if the movie can't get you along for the ride, stuff like that just stands out. If you are thinking 'huh? what?' while watching it for the first time, the movie is failing to tell the story well.

I figured the 3D wouldn't change anything...its all added after the fact. I don't even know why they are even bothering, and starting with TPM no less.

If any movies need a 'special edition' release the prequels do. They can't get any worse.

TheCoug
02.10.2012 , 12:48 PM | #18
I just saw the midnight 3D release last night as well. Thought, although it was a little blurry in some scenes, the subtle 3D was pretty well done. Anything in space, and the pod race looked *awesome*. I hadn't seen the blu ray but I'm glad they made Yoda fully CG this time. He looked pretty silly as a CGI/puppet hybrid in the original Ep 1.

It baffles me how Lucas can introduce the best two characters in all of the prequel trilogy in Qui-Gon and Darth Maul and kill then both off in the same movie, while allowing a ****-sack like Jar Jar to keep breathing.
Darth Coug | Tyranus Legacy | Scourge of the Jedi
lvl 50 Sith Marauder
<The Nerf Herders> | Guildmaster | Cho Mai Server

valin-krai
02.10.2012 , 01:08 PM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by LimpBisquick View Post
So read a novel to understand a movie, then?
It adds to the movies, I followed them fine and I was 13 when RotS came out, but if you have issues following it or with plot holes, read it.
Kitster is the real hero of the Star Wars saga.

LiquidHayter
02.10.2012 , 01:12 PM | #20
Also, 20 minutes in beats almost an hour in before you see Anakin for the first time, if you believe him to be the main character. The main character doesnt need to be there right at the beginning. ANH did exceptionally well telling the story.
Remember: Your focus determines your reality.. And I am focusing my blaster right in between your eyes.