Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

What video card runs the game the best?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > New Player Help
What video card runs the game the best?

MasterTwentyt
12.15.2011 , 09:17 AM | #1
Hey for anyone that can help me out. I got a new cpu that i thought would run this game great. Well I was wrong. I have an i5 3.1, 8gb ddr3, and radeon 6450 hd 1gb video card. Im trying to play using an 23 inch led monitor and with lowest possible settings I have been getting single digit fps. Makes it impossible to play. I was wondering if it was just my video card i read some reviews and they were terrible. If it is what video card should i get for my computer. Im limited by a 300w power supply but i will upgrade that if i have too. Anyhelp anyone can give me will be awesome. Thanks

Heavdog
12.15.2011 , 09:21 AM | #2
I have the 5770 which is kinda low power but i dont think it would work on 300w

CoolSuggies
12.15.2011 , 09:24 AM | #3
Hmm.. my work machine has 2 GTX260's (Not SLI'd for 4 monitors)
core i7 2.6ghz 12 gig ddr and I get crappy frame rates when my wallpaper rotates. Runs like butter all the other time.

Do you get this constantly or just in certain places?

Ouch, I'd be afraid to run a pc with 300watt PSU.

verlok
12.15.2011 , 09:24 AM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by MasterTwentyt View Post
Hey for anyone that can help me out. I got a new cpu that i thought would run this game great. Well I was wrong. I have an i5 3.1, 8gb ddr3, and radeon 6450 hd 1gb video card. Im trying to play using an 23 inch led monitor and with lowest possible settings I have been getting single digit fps. Makes it impossible to play. I was wondering if it was just my video card i read some reviews and they were terrible. If it is what video card should i get for my computer. Im limited by a 300w power supply but i will upgrade that if i have too. Anyhelp anyone can give me will be awesome. Thanks
pick up a new psu and either a 6950 or a gtx560ti
obi-wan kenobi is like god but with better weapons

Dasffion
12.15.2011 , 09:24 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Heavdog View Post
I have the 5770 which is kinda low power but i dont think it would work on 300w
Yes it's recommended 450w or greater.

You're going to be extremely limited with a 300w PS, probably just budget cards like the 6450 and integrated cards

Here's the TH review on cards for SWTOR if you're willing to upgrade your PSU too.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...view,3087.html

FantasyMeister
12.15.2011 , 09:25 AM | #6
The 6950 model isn't getting many complaints, a couple of HD 6950 users were chatting about it here earlier: Is this computer good value for money?

There's also a good benchmark test of lots of graphics cards over at Tom's Hardware site (Google for Tom's Hardware Benchmark SWTOR), the Radeon 6970 seemed to perform very well, as did most of the GTX series.
"Never underestimate the power of the Force. Or duct tape."

Varpos
12.15.2011 , 09:30 AM | #7
Well the 6450 is a low-end VGA looking at your cpu and ram, well it definitely holds it back. My advice is: get a new psu and atleast a HD 6870. The memory bandwith plus texel and pixel rate of the 6450 is just ridiculously low. I assume if you managed to buy that rig this card shouldnt be too expensive for you or just ask santa

GoldSquadGirl
12.15.2011 , 09:32 AM | #8
I'm running 2 NVIDIA GeForce 295's in quad SLI. (I force alternate frame rendering in the game.) I customized this system to be able to FRAPS AoC sieges, which put more strain on a PC than any gaming feature I've ever seen.

In SW:ToR, I can play in 2560x1600 resolution better than in any game I have tried that in before. I get 30+ FPS at that resolution no matter what the clutter of nearby players/NPC's is like. Also with Bioware's "High" graphics preset settings.

It really is beautiful. Props to Bioware on the game's graphics engine

Now lets get some kind of massive PVP feature in the game and really take advantage of it.
Haleigh Comette - Asphodel
<ZERG>
Troopers do it....standing Up!
Zergalicious - Ilum PVP Video

deusBAAL
12.15.2011 , 09:35 AM | #9
I have 2x 2,4 Ghz, 4GB RAM and a 260 Nvidia PCIe, powersupply is 600W I think

The game runs very smooth on max ingame setttings, gonna check out the ini files for some hidden settings to improve grafics even more. (kinda low if you played breathtaking Skyrim before)

Do not underestimate the importance of a good power supply. Make sure that it silent, that it sucks in enough juice and that it blows out the air, instead of sucking in all the dust from the back of your PC.
Funny how PVP folks strive to become the best PK, while PVE folks know that PKs are just really really bad players.

Varcan
12.15.2011 , 09:37 AM | #10
Something is off...

For comparison here's my normal person rig, that doesn't have uber just came out in the last 6months to a year stuff.

E8400 Dual Core 2.9Ghz(4 years old)
GTX460 2gb RAM Vid Card(Budget updgrade)
4GB RAM
Window XP(That's right, still freakin xp!)

And I run this game consistanly at 40fps, in all zones and in pvp. I can get 60-70fps in non crowded areas.

I'd try a new PSU like people have suggested, maybe its not getting enough. Though you;d think a lower power message would appear when you boot up...