Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

For the Days of SWG

PsyloSatan
02.03.2012 , 11:36 PM | #61
Quote: Originally Posted by Emeda View Post
There is not 1 MMO that could be neglected by its owners as much as SWG was and have 300k players for as long as it did.

Neclect this game like they did and it wouldnt have 50k players. The reason other MMOs have done better is because they were updated and taken care of.
To be fair, there was no wow back then so you couldnt really fall back on something like that like everyone did with Warhammer, conan, RIFT and so on. It was kind of like how wow has been for the past few years. Stale, but nothing else quite compares in such a well rounded fassion (ie. most players dislike different aspects to some degree but the huge amount of other aspects that run smooth make it decent enough.)

Emeda
02.03.2012 , 11:41 PM | #62
Quote: Originally Posted by PsyloSatan View Post
To be fair, there was no wow back then so you couldnt really fall back on something like that like everyone did with Warhammer, conan, RIFT and so on. It was kind of like how wow has been for the past few years. Stale, but nothing else quite compares in such a well rounded fassion (ie. most players dislike different aspects to some degree but the huge amount of other aspects that run smooth make it decent enough.)
WoW was back then. I think it came out less than a year after SWG. Or close to it. WoW is the reason for the CU/NGE so it had to be alive back then.

Emeda
02.03.2012 , 11:49 PM | #63
Quote: Originally Posted by Keihryon View Post
I think the CU was a step in the right direction for SWG, personally. I hated the HAM system, but the skill tree was the best idea I'd seen in an mmo ever. It was far superior to the talent tree most use today. Such a diverse method of character creation and evolution should be the industry standard, not the exception.

The NGE, however, was 5 steps backwards. And everything seemed to be sacrificed for some semblance of class balance.

which reminds me, i need to check up on the emu and see if they have improved it any.
The CU is what got rid of the skill trees and made it the talent tree system. Giving people levels takes away the freedom to use the old style. Now instead of the old style you get respecs so you can change around your trees and not have to learn the skills while you play.

Its been a long time but the ham is just 1 more bar than what they have now. Now its just whack a mole till either you or the one your attacking loses his red bar as the winner. Being able to incapacitate someone from fatiuge is unique. Was it perfect? Probable not but it gave you options to different ways to defeat someone that could heal themselves.

Traugar
02.13.2012 , 05:59 PM | #64
Quote: Originally Posted by Emeda View Post
The CU is what got rid of the skill trees and made it the talent tree system. Giving people levels takes away the freedom to use the old style. Now instead of the old style you get respecs so you can change around your trees and not have to learn the skills while you play.

Its been a long time but the ham is just 1 more bar than what they have now. Now its just whack a mole till either you or the one your attacking loses his red bar as the winner. Being able to incapacitate someone from fatiuge is unique. Was it perfect? Probable not but it gave you options to different ways to defeat someone that could heal themselves.
Nope. The CU kept the old skill trees, and gave you a "level" based on how you had spent your points. The talent trees didn't come into play until NGE.

Also the HAM bar was 3 bars. Each of those had 2 substats.

SeanAdam
02.15.2012 , 01:45 AM | #65
I know SWG wasnt perfect, but you know what, neither is life. I think thats what was so charming about galaxies. the randomness of every login. The never ending possabilities of customization, decorating all my houses, choosing a neighborhood for the kidos to grow up in. Galaxies was the ultimate social experiance. Rather it be a raid mmo like all the cookie cutter WoW's where its all action and little social gathering. instead, galaxies was the game that stood out from the crowed. Most people would call it borring and broken, and to be honest if it werent set with the SW universe then yeah, it sucked. But it allowed all who played to live in the SW universe as best as you can in the digital world of today. I do enjoy TOR for its nature, unfortionatly unlike galaxies, i can see the end of the tunnel for this game. Gameplay is solid, best ive seen ever. however, i cant help but feel this is a single player game.

{thats right!!! i dont use spell check}

Spoff
02.15.2012 , 04:36 AM | #66
Although SWG did a lot of things wrong, it did do some things that no other MMO's have ever done as good.

Devs, if you are reading, here are some things SWTOR could use.

The open endedness was great, planets actually felt like planets, not like the tiny sectioned-off areas we get here. The planets in SWTOR could benefit from this, bigger in size and the creatures scale in danger the further you go from civilzation.

Crafting, well, enough said, SWG had the best crafting system ever, just copy that.

True world PVP, on PVP servers open up every planet to true world PVP apart from the four starter ones.

Atmosphere, this was something SWG had by the bucketload, the reason for this I think was because it was set in the original trilogy era, this helps greatly because every Star Wars fan knows it, if you base a game on TOR era then sorry, but you will have to work harder to make it Star Warsy (this is a bit lacking to be honest).

Incidental and combat music, far, far superior in SWG than TOR.

Background noise, how great was it to be in Mos Eisley and hear TIE Fighters passing by overhead in SWG? I have not heard a single thing in TOR that makes it sound like Star Wars apart from the token "droid bleeps" coruscant traffic and my lightsaber.

I do like TOR, but there is MUCH work to be done, I do not find it that "Star Warsy".

Tombius
02.15.2012 , 04:42 AM | #67
Spoff I feel the same. I miss swg so much and have tried to love TOR , problem is it doesnt feel as star warsy or near as good as swg was. I dont like the space missions as it doesnt give you much to do bar move left/right and shoot. The maps are too linear and no way open enough to free roam. I feel railroaded into having to go only one way. I also still miss the crafting massively

Vasilas
02.15.2012 , 05:20 AM | #68
Games like SWG are extinct guys.. Today's players prefer easy games with standard grind systems like WoW and TOR.

Most people don't care about the social parts of MMOs because their selfless nature dictates the idea they have about themselves and how much better players they are from everyone else.

The only things you could label as social in games like TOR are the raiding, which is in essence a "dance" that you have to learn and repeat as someone stated above and premade pvp teams that offer you nothing more than a game like DoTA or League of Legends could give you.

Other than raiding and pvp, games like WoW and TOR offer nothing else, but I guess dumb people prefer dumbed down games just to fill the empty hours of their lives with endless grinding...
Canceled subscription cause of: Poor character customization/appearance | Boring endgame content | Terrible fps/loading times | Instanced game world.

Vecke
02.15.2012 , 05:25 AM | #69
My absolute favorite aspect of the very early days of SWG was the fact that its factions were intentionally unbalanced.

I LOVED the "Imperial Crackdown" update that came just a few months (I think) after launch. The Imperials had some serious advantages, which made playing a rebel extremely fun. You could be walking along and an Imperial would stop you, inspect you, and if you were hiding any contraband you were immediately outted and attackable by Imperials.

I'm not a PVP player in MMOs and I'm about as casual as it gets (my main on this game is just level 28). I normally hate PVP, but in SWG during that first year, being a rebel was one of the most intense and fun gaming experiences around. You felt... well, like a rebel.
"I know."

QBall
02.15.2012 , 06:19 PM | #70
Quote: Originally Posted by BrandonSM View Post
Actually, SWG was unsuccessful, thats the whole reason the CU and NGE were created. It was 6 months of SWG before the release of WoW. Plus SWG players have Nostalgia. The game wasnt as good as people say it was, stop acting like it was the best game of all time.

It had OK Crafting, the social abilities were all there was.

If SWG was so unsuccessful, how did it last 8 friggin years?

At the current rate, SWTOR will be lucky to last 8 months. For SWTOR launch being such a huge success, the server populations really suck (even at peak times) at two months after release.

Those of you who quit SWG because of CU and NGE and never played the game again, have no clue how much the game evolved.

I played SWG till the end. Honestly, pre-CU was a steaming Bantha Turd when compared to SWG at the time that the game ended. SOE should have implemented features that they added during the last 6 months much sooner.

I think the atmospheric flight was more ground breaking than the stupid voice overs in this game.

There were numerous players I met over the last year of SWG who hadn't played since pre-cu and all of them stated that it was like playing a different game. They had came back to SWG because they were tired of waiting for SWTOR, but they were surprised how much SWG had changed and how much content was added.

Yes, SWG still had it's flaws and bugs, but with every update / patch there will be additional bugs that can be exploited and as they are discovered they can be fixed.

No game will ever be perfect, you can't please everyone. I find it very amusing that pre-cu lovers who bash NGE because it resricted professions. Yet these same people will defend SWTOR which is much more profession resricted than NGE version of SWG.

The heroic instances in SWG were much more challenging than the heroics in this game.

When both factions would build at city GCW invasions, they were a blast and many people who normally didn't participate in PvP would go overt for the invasions. Win or lose they were fun battles and everyone had a good time.

I honestly don't see myself playing this game as long as I played SWG. Once I get through all of the storylines I want to see, there will be very few reasons to continue subscribing.

This is a great single player game, and that's all it will ever be unless Bioware does something miraculous with it, but I doubt that will happen. Since when does EA care about what happens to a game after the initial box sales are over. I wouldn't be surprised if SOE takes over SWTOR in a month or two. They'll probably host it on refurbished SWG servers and make it free to play like Pirates of the Burning Sea. OMG, if that happens I will ROFLMAO.