Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

For the Days of SWG

Sheyrd
02.02.2012 , 07:55 PM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by MrTijger View Post
You'd think with all those players claiming SWG was the best thing since sliced bread that the game was actually a succes. Which it wasnt. How odd.
The game was a success, what killed it was SOE and changing the game more than once eventually it became a boring Leveling system.

How about character customization the fencer/Kera tasi combination or the carbineer/bh combo. or the combat medic. After a long day of grinding out the boxes or pvp sat back and talked to the dancers, crafters in the cantina's and just having a great time.

Xeox
02.02.2012 , 10:38 PM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by Darth_Syphilis View Post
I remember how player housing completely trashed massive areas of many planet's landscapes.

- Building a guild city, using militia to ban ppl from player cities and defending. Player cantina's guild halls, etc, custom houses and a hell of alot to do.

...grinding skill boxes forever to get to the top only to be nerfed.

- If you had half a brain you could group up with ppl go afk adn level, all over thing called internet.

...waiting for a shuttle every time I needed to go to another planet, then having to take another shuttle after waiting cause I couldn't go directly to a specific planet (pre-JTL)

- Shuttle wait made PVP happen, best fights were in star ports.

...getting decimated in PVP cause I had a job and a wife and kid and could not play 12 hours a day to grind cash or mats for decent gear.

- Learn to stack skills to benifit each other and pets and armor was cheap, 20k a mission that took 4 min in a group, easy mode.

...doing quests that were even less unique and interesting than WoW

- Howe many "interesting" quests in wow did u actualy read not just hit wp adn kill loot etc and turn in

...not doing any battlegrounds/WZ

-Open world PvP everywhere, everywhere, didnt need w/z or bg cause pvp was always found

...not doing any instances/dungeons/Flashpoints

-all bosses were world bosses and were hard, long fights, could solo if good enough, and raids are boing preset fights you just learn dance for. Raids are boing as hell, what fun is frming same **** each week to get preset loot from tokens, bah

...not being able to craft anything decent due to the above job and family so not being able to acquire cash or resources cause I couldn't play 12 hours a day to grind it

- Mats were harvested by machines when u planted them, easy then crafting made u creds. sooo hard

...long loading screens

- Your comp sucks, spend cash or play consol

...not having any alts

- You could switch classes any time, alts are what u play when you get bored, in SWG change class, go exploring, pvp, pve boses, farm krayt dragon pearls, rank up in the army, slice, etc, your toon did everything.

...not bothering using an AH/GTN cause nothing valuable was listed due to price cap (?)

-Private vendors in player house that u had droids spam wp for that encouraged visitors to player cities, into your house and see the effort you put into what you did.

...finding an awesome player crafter selling stuff then getting there and not having enough credits to buy anything due to above job/wife/kid lack of 12 hour/day play

- As said above cres were super easy to get, take 2 missions in group kill said **** for 5 min, get creds, repeat, or harvest materials and sell, you had to know what was good to harvest, easy way too look at massive amount of harvestors around. bounty hunter paid well, jedi paid 1 million creds.

...PVP zones that had nothing in them...not even "P's"

-World PvP was PvP zone, stand overt in SP you find PvP

...three or four interesting mobs (Krayt Dragons, Night Sisters....make that two. OK, OK, unfair, I am sure there were more...)

- Rare Spawns, Jedi, rare elite rancors, mandalorians etc.

...grinding faction points forever to finally get an AT-ST only to have it perma-deathed within a few days by elite 12 hour/day player with uber gear

-Faction was easy to get, buy it, earn it, farm from insta spawns, and hell learn to not run into mass battle with at-st out.
All what u stated was a lazy person who didnt realize they were playing on a game that everything was posted how to do on the net (even though you were playing online)

CMN and enjoy linear games like this and WoW

Traugar
02.02.2012 , 10:55 PM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by Darth_Syphilis View Post
I remember how player housing completely trashed massive areas of many planet's landscapes.

...grinding skill boxes forever to get to the top only to be nerfed.

...waiting for a shuttle every time I needed to go to another planet, then having to take another shuttle after waiting cause I couldn't go directly to a specific planet (pre-JTL)

...getting decimated in PVP cause I had a job and a wife and kid and could not play 12 hours a day to grind cash or mats for decent gear.

...doing quests that were even less unique and interesting than WoW

...not doing any battlegrounds/WZ

...not doing any instances/dungeons/Flashpoints

...not being able to craft anything decent due to the above job and family so not being able to acquire cash or resources cause I couldn't play 12 hours a day to grind it

...long loading screens

...not having any alts

...not bothering using an AH/GTN cause nothing valuable was listed due to price cap (?)

...finding an awesome player crafter selling stuff then getting there and not having enough credits to buy anything due to above job/wife/kid lack of 12 hour/day play

...PVP zones that had nothing in them...not even "P's"

...three or four interesting mobs (Krayt Dragons, Night Sisters....make that two. OK, OK, unfair, I am sure there were more...)

...grinding faction points forever to finally get an AT-ST only to have it perma-deathed within a few days by elite 12 hour/day player with uber gear.
All those things you couldn't do due to not playing 12hours a day,and having a job/wife/kid? I was able to do all those things, and I was deployed so it couldn't have been that time consuming.

Quiet
02.03.2012 , 04:21 AM | #24
The holocron grind killed SWG.
"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun. - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).

AustinMark
02.03.2012 , 06:18 AM | #25
I remember...

...being able to customise my alts faces and body however I wanted, pretty much.

...spending hours decorating my house however I wanted.

...getting my YT-1300, and decorating that however I wanted. Then grouping up with some friends to man the gun turrets and taking on a Star Destroyer.

...Joining one of the most respected guilds on the server (ECHO Battalion, Eclipse server) and making some great friends. We're still going strong here.

...Learning to fly from one of the best dogfight pilots in the game.

...making a trader alt and decorating my workshop, trading good spots for harvies with my guildies, building a decent little buisness that kept my commando in good gear.

...Late in the game, after they started the city hourly invasions, we'd get a decent group together and go overt. PVE and PVP all in one, was a total blast.

...Yeah. Going through the mists for the first time.

...The parties at other guild's player cities. The occasional wedding. Cantina crawls.

...Walking into Mos Eisley cantina and finding a big dance party going on.

...Being able to talk to anyone, even Imps, and build respectful friendships with people you regularly killed.

...Starting a new city with a guildie and watching it grow.
Darth Malevok - Sith Juggernaut - Prophecy of the Five

ThiborF
02.03.2012 , 12:22 PM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by Xeox View Post
The game was great, was the most played game at teh time, more players than EQ, WoW hit at a right time, when CU come out and NGE killed it.

Forgot the Dancers and muscians in cantinas to heal wounds and doc buffs in starports, specialy when you were tef'ed and tef'ed the doc which started a f'ed up tef war killing your friends.

A crafting system where all but super rare exceptional loot was entirely player made, player sliced, repaired by players and all mats were harvested by players.

You could play SWG without ever having to kill anything and still be important, still make insane creds, have fun and be part of a living economy.

Cryer's in SWG are like the bums on the street saying life is hard, they need a Money for food, offer them food they ***** cause they really want money for booze.

Want to play SWG emu but i scrapped my game disks when NGE came out so last i heard u needed them

Any links?
I give kudos to SWG for three things (this is all pre-JTL/CU/NGE)
A purpose for player housing/cities (though still didn't live up to its potential with it but, it's rare anything does)
Robust/deep crafting system
Free form class system

That's about it.

There was painfully little story driven content in the game at all. Go to mission terminal in city, get either a courier quest or kill X# quest with little to no pretense of any story at all, rinse, repeat. Then roughly once every month or two you get a content patch in which you spend 2-4 hours doing and then it's back to the mission terminals.

Or ... it's back to crafting. Ahh crafting. I give it kudos for its variety (rare it seems these days for custom colors/looks to be so easily implemented) and its complexity. And being a merchant class and being able to set up your own shop could be fun for awhile. What wasn't fun was spending hours tweaking macros to avoid carpel tunnel while making things and mindlessly walking across empty planets clicking a button every 25 feet in a mini-game-esque version of Marco Polo while you try to find the best/most abundant materials to harvest. Yeah ... that was LOADS of fun.

And then to top it off, you don't just have the devs nerf your favorite skill or class (which every MMO tends to do at some point and doesn't really bother me), SOE outright removes one of the more fun classes to play (RIP Creature Handler)

I had some fun in SWG but it was more because of the people I was playing with and not because the game itself was some rich form of amusement. I applaud it for its attempts at a sandbox game but its popularity was a shooting star ... flared brilliantly for a short time early on and then trailed off. Subsequent updates, while appeasing some of the masses, in many peoples eyes did more bad than good.

And before I get labeled as some raving TOR fanboy, I'm not. I do enjoy this game (I wouldn't be subbed to it if I didn't) but it's by no means perfect. Neither was WoW, AoC, STO, DDO, PotBS, SWG or AC2. Then again, I've yet to play the "perfect MMO" and honestly doubt it will every exist simply because what would be perfect to me would probably be crap to someone else. C'est la vie.

Daeborn
02.03.2012 , 01:14 PM | #27
SWG was a failure after less than two years. The rest of the time it was nothing but a money sink for SOE and Lucas Arts.

/thread

LeMage
02.03.2012 , 01:29 PM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by Skoll View Post
Nostalgia is overrated.
Not really - it allows me to think fondly of MxO even now. I had tried SWG and MxO and went with MxO.

Well they did have things in common:
SOE <spit>
Great Communities and
Both had combat revisions that to this day illicit heated debate

PeepsMcJuggs
02.03.2012 , 01:47 PM | #29
Day of SWG:
Finally ready to play after spending a year upgrading my machine specifically for SWG.
Spend half a day convincing SOE to reestablish my free trial period.
Look at overabundance of buttons on UI, ask self why the hell someone needs that many buttons to play a damn video game.
/slash command some emotes to watch my Trandoshan bounce around like an idiot.
Watch some people shoot each other.
30 minutes later, turn game off, never play again.

Ah, the memories...
"Making the internet a happier place, one infraction at a time."

Jett-Rinn
02.03.2012 , 01:53 PM | #30
Remember kids say anything remotely positive about SWTOR and you're automatically labeled a Bioware employee.