Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

For the Days of SWG


marshalleck's Avatar


marshalleck
02.02.2012 , 07:24 PM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by Emeda View Post
You could always take the VIP line.

You mean you stood in line for an hour? To me that must mean that you really wanted to play the game for some reason if you would stand in line for an hour just to get a buff to go kill stuff.
Seriously. All you had to do was /tip <whatever> and get buffed, then go kill tons of mobs and make back 100x or more what you tipped your buffer.
Classless character progression // Deep crafting & harvesting // Fully customizable spells & skills // Living world with seasons, weather, dynamic day/night & wildlife ecology // >

Bowlan's Avatar


Bowlan
02.02.2012 , 07:24 PM | #12
Off to raid Anchor Head! Weeee!

SWG took dedicated gamers to look past the flaws (the entire game). It did do that very little MMOs have done before and after...built a massive community. It introduced features that players enjoyed, that MMOs have yet to match, such as player cities, a player driven economy (that while broken, still could be dictated by the best crafters in game.), and hated rivalries. I lost count of the inner faction wars, cross faction wars, people swapping guilds/alliances, etc. It was a microcosm of of what Star Wars was about...the conflict between two factions and those that remained neutral.

AuraJurai's Avatar


AuraJurai
02.02.2012 , 07:24 PM | #13
Vader's Jedi Star Fighter

Grinding 32 Professions then SoE tells everyone Hey we included a jedi village ... then watching it all go down the drain .... :P fun times :P
55 Rydia Mist [Marauder] 55 Aura Mist [Socerer]
Only a fool deals in absolutes

Ulivious's Avatar


Ulivious
02.02.2012 , 07:26 PM | #14
I miss SWG.

I played post CU on a RP server. Holy crap the amount of fun had was unlike any mmo ever. I mean seriously what MMO can you literally create your home anywhere on a planet (within reason) and then furnish it to 105% what you want it to look like.

Also space was super fun.
This signature is currently missing from the website. I don't have an ETA on when will this basic feature be implemented but it is in my plans.

BrandonSM's Avatar


BrandonSM
02.02.2012 , 07:31 PM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by marshalleck View Post
It peaked at 400,000 subscribers (one of the biggest MMOs pre-WoW), give or take some, before starting to lose subs due to buginess/balance issues and WoW, then the CU/NGE hit and killed it in two broad strokes.

At any rate, go play SWGEMU, OP. It's coming along nicely.
Actually, SWG was unsuccessful, thats the whole reason the CU and NGE were created. It was 6 months of SWG before the release of WoW. Plus SWG players have Nostalgia. The game wasnt as good as people say it was, stop acting like it was the best game of all time.

It had OK Crafting, the social abilities were all there was.
Hapan: "This creature has information that could lead us to a woman who has been kidnapped. We will get that information."
Luke: "This woman is a citizen of the New Republic, and if you do not take your hands off her, I will take your hands off you."

Emeda's Avatar


Emeda
02.02.2012 , 07:34 PM | #16
I remember my first day in game. Logged got a bike and a house and went off to rori to set it in the city. Met the mayor and then went off to hunt rancors with the guild.

The fun days of being at an in game wedding and being yanked out of the house because a BH had my bounty and the bride crying while we fought it out.

The fun of finally being able to ride through the fog.

The fun of decorating my hotel and winning the contest and having people send me mail saying they loved what I did.

The fun of knowing every time I longed in it wasnt wondering if I had anything to do but what was I going to do today and what was I going to put off for another day.

Emeda's Avatar


Emeda
02.02.2012 , 07:43 PM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by BrandonSM View Post
Actually, SWG was unsuccessful, thats the whole reason the CU and NGE were created. It was 6 months of SWG before the release of WoW. Plus SWG players have Nostalgia. The game wasnt as good as people say it was, stop acting like it was the best game of all time.

It had OK Crafting, the social abilities were all there was.
The social part of the game is what made the game.

The reason if failed was because SOE didnt do anything to fix the bugs in the game. The combat system was almost identical with what TOR has now and bugs were promised to be fixed in upcomming patches but just wait its a new game and there will be bugs just give them some time to fix them. Then instead of listening to the players in what they thought was wrong with the game they go and change it completely with the CU then the NGE. Thats what killed SWG.

Also how can you say a game was not successful the way it was when after they made the changes they lost over 50% of their players.

Emeda's Avatar


Emeda
02.02.2012 , 07:46 PM | #18
Also the crafting outdid anything in todays games

Darth_Syphilis's Avatar


Darth_Syphilis
02.02.2012 , 07:48 PM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by Derfmiolleh View Post
I remember the lag and the grinding. I remember standing in line for an hour waiting for a buff and wishing a game like SWtOR would come along.
I remember how player housing completely trashed massive areas of many planet's landscapes.

...grinding skill boxes forever to get to the top only to be nerfed.

...waiting for a shuttle every time I needed to go to another planet, then having to take another shuttle after waiting cause I couldn't go directly to a specific planet (pre-JTL)

...getting decimated in PVP cause I had a job and a wife and kid and could not play 12 hours a day to grind cash or mats for decent gear.

...doing quests that were even less unique and interesting than WoW

...not doing any battlegrounds/WZ

...not doing any instances/dungeons/Flashpoints

...not being able to craft anything decent due to the above job and family so not being able to acquire cash or resources cause I couldn't play 12 hours a day to grind it

...long loading screens

...not having any alts

...not bothering using an AH/GTN cause nothing valuable was listed due to price cap (?)

...finding an awesome player crafter selling stuff then getting there and not having enough credits to buy anything due to above job/wife/kid lack of 12 hour/day play

...PVP zones that had nothing in them...not even "P's"

...three or four interesting mobs (Krayt Dragons, Night Sisters....make that two. OK, OK, unfair, I am sure there were more...)

...grinding faction points forever to finally get an AT-ST only to have it perma-deathed within a few days by elite 12 hour/day player with uber gear.

Emeda's Avatar


Emeda
02.02.2012 , 07:50 PM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by Darth_Syphilis View Post
I remember how player housing completely trashed massive areas of many planet's landscapes.

...grinding skill boxes forever to get to the top only to be nerfed.

...waiting for a shuttle every time I needed to go to another planet, then having to take another shuttle after waiting cause I couldn't go directly to a specific planet (pre-JTL)

...getting decimated in PVP cause I had a job and a wife and kid and could not play 12 hours a day to grind cash or mats for decent gear.

...doing quests that were even less unique and interesting than WoW

...not doing any battlegrounds/WZ

...not doing any instances/dungeons/Flashpoints

...not being able to craft anything decent due to the above job and family so not being able to acquire cash or resources cause I couldn't play 12 hours a day to grind it

...long loading screens

...not having any alts

...not bothering using an AH/GTN cause nothing valuable was listed due to price cap (?)

...finding an awesome player crafter selling stuff then getting there and not having enough credits to buy anything due to above job/wife/kid lack of 12 hour/day play

...PVP zones that had nothing in them...not even "P's"

...three or four interesting mobs (Krayt Dragons, Night Sisters....make that two. OK, OK, unfair, I am sure there were more...)
All that stuff you remember. You must have played for a while. You must have really hated it to play that long