Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Lightside, darkside, neutral?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > New Player Help
Lightside, darkside, neutral?

Rovado
12.15.2011 , 06:28 AM | #1
Hi everyone,

Not sure if this is the right place to ask but;

I have noticed that there aren't a lot of options to play a neutral character.
There are a lot of items that are light- or darkside only, but nothing for neutral characters.

Now my point is: Agents, BHs, and smugglers are classes that aren't really light or darkside, they're more neutral characters. In it for the money or what they think is good.

Does anyone know if there are going to be features implemented for neutral players?

Thanks in advance. :-)
-Rov.

LaughingTarget
12.15.2011 , 06:34 AM | #2
That's something that needed planning from the start. As it stands, trying to fit a neutral path into the game would be incredibly difficult, if not impossible. It would result in needing to write whole new scenario paths and send voice actors back to the studio. Besides, being legitimately neutral is not an easy task as even inaction can be viewed as light or dark. You can't be neutral about killing a guy or not. You either say yes or no. If you want to keep your arrow in the center, just bounce back and forth between light and dark options.

Rovado
12.15.2011 , 06:40 AM | #3
Bouncing back and forth from light and dark is what might easily happen with characters like these.

I'm not asking for new content quest-wise and option-wise.
I was more talking about equipment for neutral characters too. (Light and dark both get separate equipment.)

Pwncopter
12.15.2011 , 06:42 AM | #4
No-one said you had to do quests
www.orbitguild.com

** Remember to visit/register on our guild website and/or on the swtor forums **

LaughingTarget
12.15.2011 , 06:45 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Pwncopter View Post
No-one said you had to do quests
If you want to get off Korriban/Hutta/Tython/Ord Mantell, you do. Or get a ship. Or take part in PvP.

Sundragon
12.15.2011 , 06:49 AM | #6
To actually answer the question:

The developers have stated that they intend to put Neutral gear into the game. However, it currently doesn't exist.
█||||()||||█Ξ███████████████████)

Muglor
12.15.2011 , 06:52 AM | #7
Sorry Ro,

BW, in their infinite wisdom and being 'stuck on themselves', decided to not let any player have any sense of freedom of any kind.

If you want choices and a sense of freedom, you'll have to play SWG pre cu nge

Rovado
12.15.2011 , 06:53 AM | #8
Thanks for the info guys! Appreciated.

GanonVanDutch
12.15.2011 , 06:54 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Rovado View Post
Hi everyone,

Not sure if this is the right place to ask but;

I have noticed that there aren't a lot of options to play a neutral character.
There are a lot of items that are light- or darkside only, but nothing for neutral characters.

Now my point is: Agents, BHs, and smugglers are classes that aren't really light or darkside, they're more neutral characters. In it for the money or what they think is good.

Does anyone know if there are going to be features implemented for neutral players?

Thanks in advance. :-)
-Rov.

I do not think anyone knows.

Also in my humble opinion BH is pretty much Dark Side. So is agent. I do however agree that Smugglers are neutral chars.
...*....*...*....*.......
...*..........*.............*...*...
...*.......*......*..*....w.........*.......*....**.
......*..........*.......e ...........*.........*.
...*.........*..........p.........*.........*.
........*.....*.......w...*.........*..........
.........*.........*.e......*........*.........
.......*.......*....p...*.................*....
......*...............*.......*..........*

Erevan_Kindelar
12.15.2011 , 06:59 AM | #10
Most people in this situation, unless they are roleplaying a particularly complex character type where they already know how the character would answer in a given situation are going to go with the "WWJD?" approach, except that rather than "What would Jesus do?", it will be "What would <insert name of archetypal agent/spy/bounty hunter here> do?", or they will try and take the approach that makes them most popular with their companions, and they will either end up gravitating more towards the light or the dark.

Going into it with a specific goal of staying totally neutral is not something Bioware thought of as a line of reasoning, so there is not a clearly defined path to enable it. The result is that you either sound like a totally non-commital idiot or you bounce from one side to the other in apparent schizophrenic randomness.
No, really! I am telling the truth, honestly! Look I can prove it, I am a politician! I am as honest as the day is long!
Besides, I am a terrible liar, everyone can see when I am lying - my lips are moving... oh damn, err, that last comment was off the record, right?