Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Picking going light or dark side during missions?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
Picking going light or dark side during missions?

chipgm
12.13.2011 , 08:57 AM | #1
I have heard mixed news on this and would like some clarification.

For example if you are going sith should you go more dark side than light side? I have heard that if you go light side that you will have less valuable gear to pick from at light side vendor since you are sith. Will going light side more in the end game make you go to the other side? heard that going neutral is even worse since you never get the gear bonuses at vendors?

So what are the consequences or bonuses for doing either? Makes me wonder if you should just go evil with sith to dodge any issues further in game..
MMO games are only as good as the people you play with.. If you are 21 or older come join us in the battle at The Adult Gamer. With over 2500 members there is always someone to play with.

Vengola
12.13.2011 , 09:26 AM | #2
I pick what is right in the mission context or my mind, not click red or blue like a monkey.

As for consequences thankfully I end up deeply dark with my choices. Several light picks is not enough to taint the big picture.

moiraesfate
12.13.2011 , 10:47 AM | #3
My suggestion is play what you want. You will have different answers and different results depending on your choices. Just remember, its very hard to play the grey zone in this game. You get bonuses to being fully light or fully dark side.

Fraserl
12.13.2011 , 11:20 AM | #4
Define consequences/bonuses?

It's not like NPC's will treat you like the weird kid at school just because your alignment numbers are different from theirs. Further both light and dark get the same gear stat wise but with slightly different looks so no gain or loss there.

What does change are story related things, but (at least as far as I've been able to tell) only within the context of the particular mission or story arc you happen do be doing at the time. By choosing a light side option you may have to go out of your way to do something that would have been solved by a more straightforward dark side option. Conversely a dark side option (such as killing some mook out of hand) may cause complications that a more diplomatic light side option would have avoided. Everything sorta balances out in the end though.

Are there consequences or bonuses for going light/dark side? yeah, but if you're looking for some specific performance enhancement or worried about being locked out of some quest there is always an 'equal' alternative attained by following a different path.

Rewrench
12.13.2011 , 11:27 AM | #5
From what I read on old forum many times. The gear is same stats for light/dark but appearence was different.

BUT as things are you need to go deep in one of them to get the best. So if your not heavy into either you could temporarely be at disadvantage.
But then again every flashpoint can repeatably give you dark or light to farm.

Heezdedjim
12.13.2011 , 01:07 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Fraserl View Post
Define consequences/bonuses?
One of the few actual "consequences" is that you may have to change your plans if you want to romance certain companions. I think it's the SI that gets a companion who can only be romanced if you're of the right alignment for her (but you can choose the path you want to go during the pet quest to get the one that matches your alignment). One of the Sith classes also gets a companion who is a former Jedi and will not respond well to dark side choices, but you can make up for it by leaving her on the ship so you don't lose affection and buying lots of gifts to build it up.

The affection loss from choices the pets don't like is usually (not always) significantly less than what you gain by making choices they favor (so -1 loss vs. +15 to +40 gain is typical). But some choices will score you -30, once in a while. The main thing is if your alignment clashes with a pet, then you will be solely dependent on gifts to raise affection up, regardless of whether you take the hits on choices they don't like or not.

Devhi
12.13.2011 , 04:09 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Heezdedjim View Post
One of the few actual "consequences" is that you may have to change your plans if you want to romance certain companions. I think it's the SI that gets a companion who can only be romanced if you're of the right alignment for her (but you can choose the path you want to go during the pet quest to get the one that matches your alignment). One of the Sith classes also gets a companion who is a former Jedi and will not respond well to dark side choices, but you can make up for it by leaving her on the ship so you don't lose affection and buying lots of gifts to build it up.

The affection loss from choices the pets don't like is usually (not always) significantly less than what you gain by making choices they favor (so -1 loss vs. +15 to +40 gain is typical). But some choices will score you -30, once in a while. The main thing is if your alignment clashes with a pet, then you will be solely dependent on gifts to raise affection up, regardless of whether you take the hits on choices they don't like or not.
Its the SW that gets the Companion who you can change their alignment, but SI does get the Former jedi who does not like ANY DS decision.
SQUADRON 11-11-11

*NEVER FORGET*

VanorDM
12.13.2011 , 04:44 PM | #8
There is an issue with staying neutral as I understand it, the best gear requires either darkside or lightside, so if you are in the middle you do miss out.