gunslinger and sniper class fail..

Damidos

gun slinger and sniper, need something im just not sure what.

sith sorcerer and mercenary and their counterparts, can do everything a sniper can do dps wise, with out the mobility issue, and they have the option to heal.. how is that fair.

I love the cover system but lets be real its more of a draw back in pvp than it is a benefit. snipers and gun slinger are the only unique never before seen in mmo history class this game has. They need love.

Im not sure what can be done. perhaps give their aimed shot a range of 40 dare i say 45 or more cc/ debuffs.

can any one defend these classes as not being gimped in pvp?

does any one see alot of them in the level 50 bracket?

does any one have any suggestions to fix them?

sith sorcerer and mercenary and their counterparts, can do everything a sniper can do dps wise, with out the mobility issue, and they have the option to heal.. how is that fair.

I love the cover system but lets be real its more of a draw back in pvp than it is a benefit. snipers and gun slinger are the only unique never before seen in mmo history class this game has. They need love.

Im not sure what can be done. perhaps give their aimed shot a range of 40 dare i say 45 or more cc/ debuffs.

Idk I was having a blast on my level 18 sniper alt a little while ago. The play style is different and that's a good thing.

In the current state, it's all about the expertise. Geared sniper/gunslinger can demolish people with great gear (there was a post where a gunslinger posted several screen grabs where he was doing 600 - 900k dmg over a WZ battle). Dirty Fighting/lethality ignores armor, so that's a spec that bypasses the biggest pitfall to marksman/engi spec; weakness vs heavy armored opponent.

I thought that the cover was really cool in reference to taking NO damage from many basic ranged attacks. I actually sat behind cover once in Hard Mode FE and tanked 3 Elite Droids taking Zero damage while my entire group ran back to kill them. It makes me wonder if Snipers / Gunslingers are considered "range off-tanks." Other than that, though, the mobility issue does seem to throw a wrench in the mix.

Solo pvp yea, snipers kinda suck unless they can get off the first shot before the other person knows it is coming. But on teams with others that know what they are doing, you can rack up the kills in a hurry. My lvl 19 sniper is normally at the top of the list at the end of warzones in damage and kills. Edited by HelinCarnate

I do not know what you are complaining about. Operatives/Scoundrels are now THE WORST class in the game and are completely un-viable for any situation.

I play one. In PvP more than often they do better job than DPS melee fighters (maybe besides these who can stealth, like Jedi Shadow).

Although I like my sniper, sith sorcerers in a full DPS spec can do more burst damage, or even "short term sustained damage" (I know, funny term, but I'm talking 60-90 seconds, so a little longer than what i would consider burst) than a sniper can.

So in terms of PvP, sith sorcerers are better in just about every way possible than a sniper.

The only damage us gunslingers/snipers can mitigate is ranged blaster damage. We have no defense against AoE tech damage or elemental resistance. Guess what classes kill us more often than not? Lightning sorcerers, rocket spamming mercenaries, and melee damaging Operatives. That being said we do have certain talents that give us a "shield" that helps quite a bit against burst damage, but we sacrifice single target DPS to get it, so we are basically nothing more than a distraction in that role. An annoying distraction sure, but not a viable threat.

I do not know what you are complaining about. Operatives/Scoundrels are now THE WORST class in the game and are completely un-viable for any situation.

^this

Be glad you picked sniper. As your other choice operative just got broke @ 50. Even if you do have mobility issues in pvp once you get gear you will hit like a truck. Also sniper is very viable for PVE as you mentioned.

I do agree sniper seems to have issues fighting sorc's and merc's in pvp but what class does not. They should of buffed other classes to compete with the kings of pvp and PVE classes.

If you wanted to do great in pvp you should of rolled a sorc/merc like EVERYONE else.

Yes operatives could used of some toning down but not blind nerf's. I for see hearing "sorry group is full" a lot now or no response at all. While being a kite on a string in pvp, hitting like a wet noodle.

Edited by LimbSlicer

A healing debuff would be great. Personally, I think mercenaries and commandos in the full DPS spec will get nerfed. That being said, the closer I get to full BM/Rakata gear the more I see that gunslinger scales with gear a lot more than sorcerors and mercenaries do. Our rotations are much more bursty and with high damage, high crit and most importantly, high enough hitpoints to withstand the initial tracer spam flood - you can and will absolutely own mercs and sorcs.

I don't pvp much but I have read that Snipers are pretty damn OP if you check out the 500k damage thread on the pvp forums there are a lot snipers I believe. I could be wrong.

Yea if you count sitting in a corner doing 1k damage per gcd while getting deflected all time having ZERO objective score and contirubting to nothing!

Yea if you count sitting in a corner doing 1k damage per gcd while getting deflected all time having ZERO objective score and contirubting to nothing!

Nah this goes away. You need to understand that, the difference between a level 11 in warzones and a level 49 in warzones is *LESS* than the difference between an ungeared 50 and a fully high end geared 50. It's really quite surprising exactly HOW much difference there is but the more epic gear you get the more absolutely devasting your DPS becomes.

EDITED TO ADD:

My damage personally has gone up over 30% since I've been gearing and my HP by 20%. If you think expertise is a big deal that's only part of the equation.

Edited by dcgregorya

If you think Sniper/Gunslinger is kinda weak, you should see Marauder/Sentinel. We have all the drawbacks you do and far more. At least you have ranged attacks so you do very good damage and you can't be kited as easily.

Seems the 2 pure DPS roles in this game got kinda ignored.

In theory, since all we can do is DPS, we should be the best DPS.

But instead they felt that all classes should just be balanced. There's not much of an incentive to go sniper over operative. Operative gets stealth and healing and most of what sniper gets.

Sorcs and Mercs seem a little OP right now, they could probably use a nerf.

Edited by miliways

No, we do not shine in PvP. But we are capable.

I would suggest this thread for Gunslinger PvP strats. http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=219738

Unlike most classes, we actually require a different strategy for every single class - hope it helps

It is amusing how sub 50s and non-snipers come in and tell other people to l2p.

Anyway, I will try to make it short. Good threads are in the sniper forum for those who are really interested.

1. Marksman

Their attacks have to go through EVERY defense available before damage is calculated, that is, if it hits at all and doesn't get e.g. deflected. Other rdps classes do not have this problem like sorcs or BHs (BHs only with very few attacks)

Hitting a heavy armour target or even a tank is a bad joke.

And bear in mind: the better the gear, the higher the armour rating, the worse marksman gets. Great game design

2. Lethality

A healer can kill with 1 dispel, which is baseline, the 31 point talent, the tier 3 and 4 talent of that tree making the dps output laughable. Note: the dispel has even a shorter cd

3. Cover

The only good thing about cover is that you cannot be charged and, if entrenched, makes you immune vs cc (however, this can easily be avoided). Too bad that portable cover only protects against a handful of standard attack which you hardly ever see in pvp and natural cover is hard to find. And that's the class' frikkin MAIN mechanic

There is even more but I said I keep it short.

Summa summarum: the class is not broken. However, the class is in really deep water if you compare it to sorcs or mercs. Why? Simply because these classes do not have restrictions the sniper class has and can do everything a sniper can (even do better dps on heavy armour targets) while providing even better utility like healing.

Edited by Desgarden

Yeah... I just unsubscribed. The class balance is utterly messed up and there's been no word on any efforts to fix it. Plus the technical issue (FPS) and the bugs all over the place PVE/PVP you name it. I'll play my 17 days trough, after all I paid for it. But I won't be back untill BW/EA gets their stuff together. I understand that MMORPG's have bugs and so forth (I played WoW from Vanilla to BC, they actually compensated the time loss due technicall difficulties unlike BW/EA) , But this game is a complite beta testing on my money compared to the competition on the market and I'm not the kind of p'ssy to drink sour milk. Edited by Beansoup

I'm fine with my sniper for the most part. I just wish cover actually did anything to ranged attacks that aren't from other snipers, and that off-GCD instants that require cover actually worked without having to guess whether my current cover state is broken or not and if I need to pack up and move an inch or two, hammering my keys, to make the gosh darn thing register.

Snipers bring a stupid amount of utility to PvE for a pure DPS ranged class with high burst capability, and high ranged burst capability with good CC isn't exactly bad for PvP.

It depends on the warzone. Some situational WZ you can do pretty good , because you can entrench yourself, protect a bit, be non interruptible, and rain fire on your foe. That said I only play 10-49 WZ, I dunno for 50 WZ.

At very low level, I also liked making a saboteur more , because whereas I did not do much damage, but was mobile and a pest in void star and alderan, spamming bombs :D.

That said, i have much much more fun PVPing in WZ with a mobile class (everybody else).

50. Dirty Fighter Gunslinger here.

I'm pretty sure there's a "my class is broken" topic on every class. But seriously, we get off pretty well. I can generally top the damage and kills of the PvP charts and have consistent one-on-one victories with pretty much every class. More importantly, in group situations, I can do further damage, quite frankly because a lot of people dismiss blaster fire as non-threatening---that is compared to visually overwhelming lightning, waving lightsabers, and GIANT FLYING DEBRIS.

1. Yes, as a DF/Lethality, a healer's cleanse spell somewhat dilutes your effectiveness. That's why: a) you have teammates b) you can EASILY kill the healer with burst damage c) You have 3 whole interrupts/stuns at your disposal.....and finally d) you use your DoTs tax the healer's attention and resources. Tagging all enemy players you see with even 1 DoT = hilarity ensues.

2. As a DF/Lethality, you can kite like no other. Again, you have 2 stuns + 1 snare at your disposal---not to mention slow effects of DF/Lethality

3. Your AoE output + cybertech grenades are amazing. Whether it's a variation of XS Freighter Flyby, a gas/shrap grenade, thermal detonator, and all manner of high damage AoE, you rock this.

Does it help that I'm decked out in all endgame gear? Probably. Does it help that everyone dismisses sniper/slinger as no threat? Also probably true. Hmmm, perhaps we should keep it that way for our benefit...

Edited by wickedtrident

Does it help that I'm decked out in all endgame gear? Probably. ...

Not probably. Immensly.

When I fire 1 snipe at a target I can tell you if it is a low med or high expertise geared person.

Too bad that many people think snipers are fine just because of their gear advantage

Not probably. Immensly.

When I fire 1 snipe at a target I can tell you if it is a low med or high expertise geared person.

Too bad that many people think snipers are fine just because of their gear advantage

The thing is I'm not even packing PvP Champ gear (save for an earpiece). Just PvE Columi--aka I have only a tiny expertise boost on me. With that I can still bleed out a Jugg or Powertech in their PvP gear or watch and laugh as my sludge grenade reduces 6 of the 8 enemy players' speed by 70% on voidstar.

Full Champion or Battlemaster Sentinel/Marauders on my server though...their whole 500k damage average per match is indeed intense.

Edited by wickedtrident

50 Sniper Here. Some of you may know me if you play on Mind Trick.

Skate - Dominion.

Im not a bad sniper. Im not a great one either. I do, however more often than not, gain the most seals and do the highest overall damage.

The sniper class feels like its missing something. I just cant figure out what.

Most of the time, when Im playing in Huttball, I get picked on. Players go out of their way to tag team with with stuns, knock backs, anything and everything they can do. It seems people view snipers as a free kill and its true in a lot situations. We have no real escape mechanics.

Lets look at other classes. Jumping to allies, stealth, Humanoid CC. AOE stuns, Knockdowns.

What do snipers have to get away? Depending on Spec, you have an AOE slow (lol), an aoe mini CC (Which an ally breaks, and if youre Leth, dont try it), and lastly we have leg shot.

Okay, so, in maps like Huttball, if we play smart, we can sometimes get away. SOMETIMES.

Lets break this down some more. Not only are we required to be immobile, our hardest hitting attacks can be mitigated easily. Thus, we are REQUIRED to hit a base attack acc of over 100%, and still it gets deflected or dodged a lot.

Now, lets take a look at mobile classes, like the Merc/Com, not only they can hit as hard as a sniper without having to be immobile the whole time and on a faster cast time, they can HEAL as well. Oh, did I mention they have 50% Armor pen and wear heavy armor? Did I also mention that its Kinetic damage, which for snipers means we lose in a range war?

Snipers do have one saving grace. Entrench. If we choose to burn a target down, by all means, we WILL SIT THERE AND DO IT. But sadly entrench isnt even fool proof. We will just get line of sight'd by a small object merely jutting out of the floor.

Ive had players walk up to me a sniper, blow every single cool down, hit me for 7k (as a tank), then proceede to /dance in front of me because I cannot hit them for beans.

So.. after all this, what do we need? Snipers need a battery of tweaks to become more viable. Im not saying we need all of these...

- Stealth, why not? Its our job to sneak about the battle field and get set up to snipe.

- Ambush, make ambush to it cannot be dodged or deflected by any means. Allow it be absorbed by shield still.

- Give us an actual CC vs humanoids.

Really, I dont know. Im just tired of of being beaten on kills and damage by a pyrotech tank.