Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

mirrored abilities, but leveling? I think not.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
mirrored abilities, but leveling? I think not.

Tiresias
01.29.2012 , 11:38 AM | #21
I too have leveled 1-50 on both sides.

The leveling experience for all classes is fine. Both Sentinels and Marauders seem to have the most issues while leveling, but this has less to do with their companions and more to do with the fact that they have a terribly poor capacity to absorb damage while not really having that much greater damage output than other sturdier classes.

Given the fact that you can do a few Space Combat missions or PvP a little and then be WAY ahead of the leveling curve pretty much smooths out all leveling issues until you reach the final planets.

Fyrewolf
01.29.2012 , 11:47 AM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by Xienive View Post
IMO Tython is a lot slower than Korriban too. The terrain is a lot more spread out as are the objectives. Flesh Raider camp is a nightmare, while the tombs take all but a minuit to get all the way through.
Regardless of companions, this right here I have found to be a big problem which I think may have helped to create some of the population imbalance we see now.

The beginning questing experience feels so much more streamlined on the imperial side. I was able to blow through the starter world on my Bounty Hunter in no time, all the while listening to all quest dialog and cut-scenes, where my Consular took what felt like double the time skipping all the cut-scenes and dialog since I'd done them all at least 3 times already.

Level 13 Bounty Hunter - 6 hours 52 minutes, Level 13 Jedi Shadow - 10 Hours 13 Minutes. That's a pretty large discrepancy. Ord Mantel isn't as bad but Tython just feels SO slow to get through, especially when you've done it before. The Bounty Hunter was my first ever imperial-side character so I imagine had I been through it before and knew where I was going and skipped conversations and cut-scenes I could cut an hour off that easily. The Imperial side just seemed to have a much more thoughtful design than Reps.

As for the companions, this is a problem for some classes and not so much for others. Unfortunately, story was given precedence over playability where it really should have been the other way around. Decide what a particular class would need and tailor the story to fit that need.

That's not just an issue with companions but an issue that you see all throughout the game, crossing entire areas which hold no content but are just an environment to pass through. One of the best examples (and one I've come to loathe on my JK) are the orbital stations. Exit ship (zone) - pass through long air-lock corridor (zone) - cross orbital station (zone) - finally on planet. - Rinse and repeat for the return journey.

Don't get me wrong I think the environments in this game are absolutely stunning and am happy to explore many of them, but there are some areas where playability should have taken much more of a front seat as they get annoying very quickly.

bobmcbo
01.30.2012 , 08:23 PM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by Fyrewolf View Post
Regardless of companions, this right here I have found to be a big problem which I think may have helped to create some of the population imbalance we see now.

The beginning questing experience feels so much more streamlined on the imperial side. I was able to blow through the starter world on my Bounty Hunter in no time, all the while listening to all quest dialog and cut-scenes, where my Consular took what felt like double the time skipping all the cut-scenes and dialog since I'd done them all at least 3 times already.

Level 13 Bounty Hunter - 6 hours 52 minutes, Level 13 Jedi Shadow - 10 Hours 13 Minutes. That's a pretty large discrepancy. Ord Mantel isn't as bad but Tython just feels SO slow to get through, especially when you've done it before. The Bounty Hunter was my first ever imperial-side character so I imagine had I been through it before and knew where I was going and skipped conversations and cut-scenes I could cut an hour off that easily. The Imperial side just seemed to have a much more thoughtful design than Reps.

As for the companions, this is a problem for some classes and not so much for others. Unfortunately, story was given precedence over playability where it really should have been the other way around. Decide what a particular class would need and tailor the story to fit that need.

That's not just an issue with companions but an issue that you see all throughout the game, crossing entire areas which hold no content but are just an environment to pass through. One of the best examples (and one I've come to loathe on my JK) are the orbital stations. Exit ship (zone) - pass through long air-lock corridor (zone) - cross orbital station (zone) - finally on planet. - Rinse and repeat for the return journey.

Don't get me wrong I think the environments in this game are absolutely stunning and am happy to explore many of them, but there are some areas where playability should have taken much more of a front seat as they get annoying very quickly.
I haven't put thought into that until now, since I enjoy planets that can keep my attention for a while.

Orbital stations, on the other hand, I hate. Besides what you said, they don't make sense when you consider story. I mean, if the empire is trying to provoke the republic to break the treaty of coruscant, why don't they just sabatoge an orbital station in a way that it can't be proven it was them?
OMG! Imperial ships can get a .00008% power increase! Nerf the empire!