Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

mirrored abilities, but leveling? I think not.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
mirrored abilities, but leveling? I think not.

bobmcbo
01.25.2012 , 08:52 PM | #1
I'm sure we all agree that aside from a few mistakes, class abilities and stats mirror eachother pretty well; leveling on the other hand, seems to be another story.

First off, the missions available cross faction don't exactly give us even experience.
When I tried a class on every starting planet, the variety of the number of missions was very different-
  • Ord mantel had more missions that I could keep track of. I also found commendations easy to come by. I had about 12 by te time I left.
  • Nal hutta also had plenty, but commendations were a rarer thing, getting me 8 when I left.
  • Tython had somewhat less, but I had a huge 16 when heading for my AC.
  • Korriban had suprisingly few, and commendations were VERY hard get, getting me only 2 once I reached the fleet.

Companions also, are completely different cross faction. Not only do you get them at different levels than your "mirror" class, but also a completely different companion type. Smugglers get their third companion, a melee tank, on nar shadda, while agents don't get their third until alderaan, and him being a melee DPS- the melee tank is their last companion. Droids also don't quite mirror meatbags armor-wise.

What do companions have to do with leveling? Say you're a healer, you won't be killing many things, and getting exp, when your only companion is a healer; while meanwhile your "mirror" class cross faction has that nice DPS dishing out kills for them.

Unfortunately, I couldn't find a solution to these imbalances, only pointing them out.
If you find a serious solution that doesn't involve remaking the storyline, please post it!
.never forget

bobmcbo
01.26.2012 , 04:25 PM | #2
128 veiws, no replies?

COME ON!
.never forget

Caelrie
01.26.2012 , 04:38 PM | #3
The republic does indeed have an easier time leveling. It's not even close. Things like shadows getting their healing companion around level 22 and assassins having to wait til around 38 make a pretty huge difference.

Tenacity
01.26.2012 , 04:44 PM | #4
As far as commendations go, they're random. You'll get the same number of commendations as quest rewards regardless of which planet you start on, but the extra commendations you get as drops from mobs are based entirely on chance - and that chance is the same whether you're on hutta, korriban, tython, or ord mantell. Sometimes you get lucky, sometimes you dont.

The number of quests seems to differ slightly, but I've found that the experience you get in the end is generally the same. My bounty hunter, agent, sith warrior, sith inquisitor, trooper, and jedi consular all reached level 11-12 by the time I was done with the starter planets, and cleared all of the heroics and bonus missions I got with all of those characters.

Companions are the only thing that really isnt mirrored well, and it's been the source of a lot of complaints since early beta. My bounty hunter didnt get his second combat companion until the end of tattooine, around level 28-29 - but a trooper will have three combat companions plus the droid by the end of nar shaddaa, around level 24-25. My imperial agent didnt get her second combat companion until midway through alderaan, at level 30 or so, but smugglers will have two combat companions by the end of nar shaddaa and get a third at the end of alderaan. Jedi knights end up with a second companion around level 14-15, warriors at 18-22.

Still, every class gets a healing companion at level 14-18 in their ship droid, as annoying as he is, and most classes get a first companion that benefits them in most situations.
THE LYNX LEGACY THE HARBINGER
Lynx --- Bastet --- Pakhet --- Leonen --- Maihos
Shock and Jawa Full Metal Jawa

CommanderFrog
01.26.2012 , 08:29 PM | #5
I quit reading at "im sure we all agree"

Empire >>>>>>>>>>>>>> Republic, all empire classes are way stronger then their republic counterparts.
Quote: Originally Posted by battlebug View Post
can you make sword in box light sword so sword come out when opened? then if sword is back after sword, use light saber on box, and saber will be boxed after sword is out.
. Never forget

Sayc
01.26.2012 , 08:37 PM | #6
I had enough korriban comms to get the armor piece that you can buy(for 8 comms i think).

Caelrie
01.26.2012 , 08:37 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by CommanderFrog View Post
I quit reading at "im sure we all agree"

Empire >>>>>>>>>>>>>> Republic, all empire classes are way stronger then their republic counterparts.
Someone doesn't understand the concept of class mirrors.

Valketh
01.26.2012 , 09:50 PM | #8
I just finished Korriban with 10 commendations. Most of them are indeed random drops. I got my first one off a lvl 1 slug before I entered the first cave lmao.

Xienive
01.26.2012 , 10:47 PM | #9
IMO Tython is a lot slower than Korriban too. The terrain is a lot more spread out as are the objectives. Flesh Raider camp is a nightmare, while the tombs take all but a minuit to get all the way through.

Dominoris
01.27.2012 , 07:09 AM | #10
One time through is not enough to say this world drops commendations more and this one seldom drops. Too few iterations of the RNG. I think we all agree that the plural of anecdote is not data.
Clones are people two.