Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Blue parallels and Green purpendiculars

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Blue parallels and Green purpendiculars

VanorDM
01.25.2012 , 01:46 PM | #11
One of the dialog options I took actually explained why they speak like they do.

Gree have 5 senses that detect forms, and 3 for color. That's why they speak the way they do. It doesn't help with translations, but I thought it was a cool explanation of why.

Nedreep
01.25.2012 , 07:13 PM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by VanorDM View Post
One of the dialog options I took actually explained why they speak like they do.

Gree have 5 senses that detect forms, and 3 for color. That's why they speak the way they do. It doesn't help with translations, but I thought it was a cool explanation of why.
Very interesting.

callousparade
02.01.2012 , 08:22 PM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by VanorDM View Post

This is very important in helping us decipher the meaning!
I've been researching this for days now (made much harder by how much google hates the word Gree) and have come to a few conclusions. Also, have two friends at Bioware (not working on SWTOR) and am hoping to get an email interview with the creators of the gree language sometime here.

Anyway, back to the task at hand for the time being. I'm going to focus on colors because that's all i have figured out.
Three color senses: one has to be white/black sense, I believe the other two are blue sense and red sense. Evidence for this, they use the terms "blue-shift" and "red-shift," which are scientific concepts already. The creators had to work from something lol. I believe that they see a spectrum from red to blue, with red being indicating something akin to 'good' and blue being 'bad'. This would put yellow in the middle as a neutral concept. Ergo, purple, being the blend between both the red-sense and blue-sense is something more than either of them. Perfection seems to be the widely accepted meaning of purple.

Some thoughts on the black and white. Either i think it's something to do with complexity (black being complex, white being mundane) or quantity (black being singular and white being multiples). Not sure, I've seen good arguments for both.

I'll write some more later, but feedback on these thoughts would be greatly appreciated! This language fascinates me for some reason

MeJane
02.17.2012 , 02:19 AM | #14
it fascinates me as well and even though I'm not an english native speaker, I understood what the Gree Droids were saying. This has been one of my most favorite missions in SWTOR so far. I think the writing is brilliant.

subpop
02.17.2012 , 10:29 PM | #15
I jotted down a bunch of the lines the Gree droids say that relate to their color/shape language-words. In no particular order or structure, here they are for study.

Senator, please comprehend. Repairing Coruscant's infrastructure is green obtuse. To form the red parallel, we need a black bisector.
The enclave bargains resources and offers reversal of Coruscant's yellow concave. We commit to white vertex to achieve this.
I speak attentively in hopes of comprehension. The bargain encounters great challenges. My delegates suffer assault effecting the maintenance. Fire, damage, and fear. Do you follow?
Impossible. My delegates require aid from one accustomed to fire, damage and chaos. A black bisector, you see?
My delegates will describe their black spheres for you. These are bold, courageous, mission-callings. Speak to them and learn.
Never going back... Never going back to blue nonagon. Now, I am yellow concave. Injuries mark my chassis forever, and why? Ungrateful humans!
That is difficult to impart. The level below is concentrated, strong, misery-wrongness. It is blue nonagon and horrible. Never going back.
I crafted a solution to achieve Pat-aK's command. All was orange sphere, until I arrived at the level below. Then, green perpendicular!
You offer yourself as a black bisector? That is a gratifying and unpredicted announcement! I pledge to provide items of Green ingenuity in return.
Take and apply my crafted solution to the hydrosupply. But do not apply before deactivating nearby flow-valves, or pressure-explosion-death will result!
Be alerted, Black Sun green perpendicular will provide onslaught. May you experience blue tangent and return intact...
You are unmarred by green perpendicular. I am gratified by this.
My black sphere evolves go a a purple parallel because of you. When I impart this development, Pat-aK will progress enthusiasm with the senator.
Operator units always inherit fouled labors. I administrate as well as Pat-aK, but I am marooned to waste processing! What have I done to incur white acute?
Many species attempt access of Gree ingenuity. This is no white convex-ah, mystery-puzzle-labor.
Pat-aK authorizes compensation of Republic credits to the black bisector who repossesses the optimization solution.
My aptitudes are grey sphere, but the enclave permits only Operator unit assignment. This is inequitable distribution of my aptitudes.
That is the expected response, black bisector. Why exhaust respiratory functions on it?
Ah, superior. This red tangent generates appreciativeness, black bisector.
With this optimization solution repossessed, Coruscant's waste processors revive. Filth-diseas-poison levels recede, plague outbreaks averted. All resolves to puprple parallel.
I am In-iK, science unit. Please "talk up" if your comprehension white-shifts. I will use simple-happy language-words to help you understand.
The Gree language-form is dissimilar to Basic language-form. Because Gree senses are unique red bisectors!
Five Gree senses analyze forms. Three Gree senses soak color. So goes language. Other species miscommunicate our language-words.
Yes. A blue vertex has been achieved, and we must embed ourselves.
But enemy droid-machines intersect the power conduits and yellow-shift their functionality. Enemy droid-machines must stop, and conduits must be fixed.
I monitor the power conduits, and know where to implement purple-shifting. As black bisector, you can "take out" many, many droid-machines.

svartalfimposter
03.18.2012 , 12:57 PM | #16
When I saw the words "Black Bisector", I thought it was something to do with the subtractive colour system...
http://www.colorsontheweb.com/images/subtractive.gif

http://www.colorsontheweb.com/colortheory.asp
Quote: Originally Posted by killgorde
a great PvP game requires the devs only to facilitate and improve the environment within which the players themselves create their own content.

RyukanoHi
05.01.2012 , 02:25 AM | #17
"I'm pretty curious as to why people have such complicated answers to what 'Black Bisector' means. They describe it as someone who knows how to deal with 'fire-damage-and-chaos', which strongly implies someone used to fighting or dealing with dangerous situations. So 'black' likely means 'danger' or 'violence', and a 'bisector' is some who intercedes, given the actual meaning of the word. So a 'Black Bisector' is someone who deals with dangerous or violent situations, essentially a soldier."

"White, does not seem to have to be the opposite of Black, if that is the case, as a Gree droid asks for you to 'talk up' if your understanding of its words 'white-shifts', meaning 'white' likely refers to something troubling or difficult to understand or cope with. I'm still studying further, and it would be nice to have a real, comprehensive answer, but to truly understand the Gree, as of now, one must study every possible use of their words and the context surrounding them before reaching a conclusion."

jgelling
05.01.2012 , 04:56 AM | #18
It's simple: a black bisector = bad writer, a green perpendicular = bad writing, and purple haze = what inspired all the dumb sidequests on Coruscant. The Republic questing on that planet may be the worst of the game, IMMSHO.

MCerberus
05.01.2012 , 10:14 AM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by jgelling View Post
It's simple: a black bisector = bad writer, a green perpendicular = bad writing, and purple haze = what inspired all the dumb sidequests on Coruscant. The Republic questing on that planet may be the worst of the game, IMMSHO.
Hey troll, some of us like non-generic things.

Anyway, how I see it

Parallel: Things moving in the same direction, things in-line (tee hee) with your stated goal
Parallelogram: Multiple parallels accomplished at once
Sphere: An encompassing area of interest
Tangent: Something unpredicted and unexpected
Bisector: One who is parallel with you and interacts with that which isn't

Black (absence of color): Something where action is needed or someone that takes action
White (all colors): The stated goal or whole which encompasses an over-arching all
Green: An outside group or force which may or may not be parallel
Purple: Both you, those associated with you, and others

So a purple parallelogram would be something good for everyone present.
Self-referential metasig #524789

VanorDM
05.01.2012 , 10:57 AM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by jgelling View Post
The Republic questing on that planet may be the worst of the game, IMMSHO.
It beats the heck out of DK's quests. "Go here and do Sithy things to people" is the bulk of the whole planet.

On topic...

The Gree quest line is the best dialog in the whole game IMO. I love trying to figure out what they're actually saying. Plus they seem to be actually alien with a completely different way of looking at the world.