Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Marauder and Sentials are Preditorial in nature but...

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
Marauder and Sentials are Preditorial in nature but...

Mujina's Avatar


Mujina
01.27.2012 , 07:33 AM | #21
It would seem that the detractors of asking for a few more utility tools for PVP have nothing contructive to say. Can not state why the class should not get any kind of a buff other then the L2P line or say "you suck" if you can't win in PVP.

So I will ask you L2P trolls and the "you suck" trolls to tell me how its balanced that a Mara should have to blow pretty much all its CD's in order to beat a ranged class, were as a ranged class uses maybe 2 CD's to beat a Mara.

miliways's Avatar


miliways
01.27.2012 , 09:54 AM | #22
Marauder is the hardest class to play right in the game. It actually has the tools you need, they're just not easy to learn.

You HAVE to use EVERY SINGLE ONE of your abilities. If you ignore any of them, you're not playing to the marauder's full potential. (I have bottom, left, and right action bars mapped to keybinds).

And you have to really pay attention to your spec, what your talents give you. Each tree has some tricks in it, and each one plays differently.

Also, the marauder gets a ton better the higher level you get and the better gear you get. Some of our best abilities we don't learn until 40+. So if you're not yet 50, don't judge the pvp abilities of the mara too harshly.

That said, we are definitely the hardest class in the game to play, and ability delay messes up our combat effectiveness more than any other class. But hopefully the incoming fixes will improve that.

gibmachine's Avatar


gibmachine
01.27.2012 , 11:15 AM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by miliways View Post
Marauder is the hardest class to play right in the game. It actually has the tools you need, they're just not easy to learn.

You HAVE to use EVERY SINGLE ONE of your abilities. If you ignore any of them, you're not playing to the marauder's full potential. (I have bottom, left, and right action bars mapped to keybinds).

And you have to really pay attention to your spec, what your talents give you. Each tree has some tricks in it, and each one plays differently.

Also, the marauder gets a ton better the higher level you get and the better gear you get. Some of our best abilities we don't learn until 40+. So if you're not yet 50, don't judge the pvp abilities of the mara too harshly.

That said, we are definitely the hardest class in the game to play, and ability delay messes up our combat effectiveness more than any other class. But hopefully the incoming fixes will improve that.
Aside of how fun playing piano-like class is, it's bad design when one class has to utilize every single skill it has to maintain performance which is ON PAR with other classes. If doing virtuoso actually resulted in way better results than others, I guess I could call it fine but right now we have to click 3x as often and as fast as your average sorc or bh to even be able to stand up to them. Not to mention being melee and thus being shafted even more by things like delay etc which are somewhat negated by ranged classes who can confortably stand on high ground and spam tracer.

Like I said, it's fun but in the long it's also frustrating that effort:results ratio is so bad.

Bad design. Fun but bad.

GrifOrion's Avatar


GrifOrion
01.27.2012 , 11:35 AM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by miliways View Post
Marauder is the hardest class to play right in the game. It actually has the tools you need, they're just not easy to learn.

You HAVE to use EVERY SINGLE ONE of your abilities. If you ignore any of them, you're not playing to the marauder's full potential. (I have bottom, left, and right action bars mapped to keybinds).

And you have to really pay attention to your spec, what your talents give you. Each tree has some tricks in it, and each one plays differently.

Also, the marauder gets a ton better the higher level you get and the better gear you get. Some of our best abilities we don't learn until 40+. So if you're not yet 50, don't judge the pvp abilities of the mara too harshly.

That said, we are definitely the hardest class in the game to play, and ability delay messes up our combat effectiveness more than any other class. But hopefully the incoming fixes will improve that.
This is one of the better and truthful posts that I've seen. I'm currently leveling a Powertech aside from my main Marauder. I laugh with my buddy who's a BH and it really opened my eyes to how easy the game can be. Here I am, all I know is Marauder and doing alright in PvP (usually top 3 Damage, but I die alot due to trying to keep healers busy... their buddies don't like that).

Anyway, just wanted to drop a line and say I support what you said 100%. Specs are really just playstyle differences, but regardless you do have to use ALL of your keys (almost literally). It's extremely rewarding though because of the high skill cap.

Now I'm not bashing you other classes, power to you guys. However, Mara/Sent are made to rip through your Sage/Sorc and Merc/Gun. It's what we're made to do. If I see a Guardian or powertech, I don't run away, but I'm not eager to go and fight.

*shrug* take it for what it's worth s'all.

miliways's Avatar


miliways
01.27.2012 , 11:39 AM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by Radiatonia View Post
Slight edit: The complaint that we can "leap and pin you" constantly is fallacious. A marauder has two roots. One is leap. Which lasts only for maybe 3 few seconds, which, combined with the travel time to the target means we get like one second of time to attack you before you can start running again. The other is ravage. Which requires you to talent heavily into carnage to unlock it, and also seems to remove the ability to stun standard tier mobs when using it too. It is also a channel, which means you can just smack us and remove it. Also, we can't actually do anything to you other then use ravage on you while we're rooting you with it.
I had somebody in my guild complain that force leap was OP, and I was like, there's no way. 2 seconds of immobility?

Then I realized why he didn't like it.

Juggernauts get a talent that turns it into a stun instead of just immobilization.

Yeah. But not marauders.

miliways's Avatar


miliways
01.27.2012 , 11:42 AM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by gibmachine View Post
Aside of how fun playing piano-like class is, it's bad design when one class has to utilize every single skill it has to maintain performance which is ON PAR with other classes. If doing virtuoso actually resulted in way better results than others, I guess I could call it fine but right now we have to click 3x as often and as fast as your average sorc or bh to even be able to stand up to them. Not to mention being melee and thus being shafted even more by things like delay etc which are somewhat negated by ranged classes who can confortably stand on high ground and spam tracer.

Like I said, it's fun but in the long it's also frustrating that effort:results ratio is so bad.

Bad design. Fun but bad.
I absolutely agree. I'm okay with being the hardest class to play, but there needs to be a reward for it. We need to do more DPS when we finally pull off the proper moves situationally so we can get in there and so some damage.

Marauder should be hands down the best dps in the game. We are melee only, don't wear heavy armor, and have no CC. And we're pure DPS, with no tank or heal spec.

After Marauder, Sniper should be the highest dps in the game. They are pure DPS. However, because they have range, they have an advantage on marauder in being able to deal damage more often, more continuously, so they shouldn't do quite as much.

ALL other classes, even spec'd for DPS, should do slightly less dps with equivalent gear, as they are easier to play and offer you options for alternative specs. Juggernauts and Bounty Hunters can wear heavy armor while still doing very, very solid DPS.


The problem is everybody is too balanced. We all do about equal DPS. That isn't actually how it should be, since Marauder is very limited other than DPS.

HBninjaX's Avatar


HBninjaX
01.27.2012 , 12:06 PM | #27
people in this thread make marauders sound OP

it's way harder than it looks, and you're basically a free kill in a PUG warzone if you don't have your cooldowns available.

sorcs are insane, they compete with our damage in addition to bringing way more to the table

same goes with mercs

I almost feel guilty when I have a fellow marauder or sentinel in my crosshairs

Caliban_Thule's Avatar


Caliban_Thule
01.27.2012 , 12:35 PM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by HBninjaX View Post
people in this thread make marauders sound OP

it's way harder than it looks, and you're basically a free kill in a PUG warzone if you don't have your cooldowns available.

sorcs are insane, they compete with our damage in addition to bringing way more to the table

same goes with mercs

I almost feel guilty when I have a fellow marauder or sentinel in my crosshairs
I usually go after other marauders first. I know it will be the easiest kill and they wont try to CC or kite me or knock me back.

GrifOrion's Avatar


GrifOrion
01.27.2012 , 01:08 PM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by Caliban_Thule View Post
I usually go after other marauders first. I know it will be the easiest kill and they wont try to CC or kite me or knock me back.
Hahaha, so true. So true.

ritualuseoffire's Avatar


ritualuseoffire
01.27.2012 , 02:55 PM | #30
agree with ts