Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

The Exile.

ObiQuiYett
01.24.2012 , 08:49 PM | #21
Alright, alright. Let's save the hate for the lightning bolts, people.

Ms. Surik is certainly a force to be reckon with, but the book, Star Wars: The Old Republic: Revan, is, not surprisingly, more about Revan. I say, "more," because what the book is actually about is Star Wars: The Old Republic. It was more of a "psyche you up" kind of book rather than "complete the story" kind of book (read any of the fight scenes and you'll see the floating numbers).

With that in mind, you'll start to see the homage due to both of these characters are mostly in lines that almost seem thrown away. Lord Scourge is impressed with the searing heat of Force emanating from both Surik and Revan, but who cares, right? Lord Scourge seems like a nobody character, but that's out-of-context of the fact that he is acknowledged as more powerful than the Dark Council the following week, and I don't think that's just because he lost the feeling in his skin.

I'm not entirely certain what contradictions occurred within the novel, however. The first thing that came to mind was I was originally under the impression that Revan told Canderous where to find the mask and the left, instead it's that and more as he tells Canderous where he thinks the mask is and takes him there to point it out, then leaves, but I didn't see that as much of a contradiction and more of an extension.

So, what was it that drew your suspicions? (Drew Karpyshyn pun not intended)

psychogobstopper
01.25.2012 , 04:38 PM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by Rayla_Felana View Post
[...] how does Revan go from just being promoted to Jedi Knight at the end of KotOR, to a Jedi Master basically next week?
The Revan novel wasn't the first to have a continuity discrepancy regarding Revan's status as a Knight or a Master. The Sith Lords Chronicles, for example, which was published on StarWars.com prior to the release of KOTOR II, identified Revan as a Jedi Master during the Mandalorian Wars. LucasFilm's continuity guru Leland Chee even claimed the chronicles (which were essentially presented as a historical record) were canon, despite that and several other errors.

It's been a while since I last played KOTOR, but my recollection of the end of the game isn't that Revan was "promoted" to Knight. Yes, he was declared the "Prodigal Knight," but he had been at least a Jedi Knight prior to his memory wipe, so I would view it more as a reinstatement to his former position than a "promotion."

It was, after all, not Revan but his programmed identity who was a Padawan during the quest for the Star Forge. By the time Revan had reached the Star Forge, one could argue that he had recovered enough of his memories and skill in the Force that the Order would've been wise to completely ignore the Padawan status of an identity that had been revealed to be false. Thus, being a Jedi Master two years later, when the novel starts, is certainly plausible for a Knight who had accomplished so much despite a significant handicap in the form of his amnesia.

Quote: Originally Posted by Gantoris_Aym View Post
It's harder for KOTOR fans to be satisfied with SWTOR, and we really would be happy with anything KOTOR.
This statement reads as if you think your opinion represents the opinion of all, or even a majority, of KOTOR fans.