Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Force-users, Fall Damage

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
Force-users, Fall Damage

CorvusKahn
12.14.2011 , 04:36 PM | #1
I've been watching lots of videos on youtube and one thing puzzles me. Falling damage on Jedi and Sith. I know from a gameplay perspective this might be seen as necessary, but I feel that force-users shouldn't have any (or very little) fall damage.

I'd suggest a buff that gives a resistance to fall damage that would increase over time. When you reach max level there should be almost zero fall damage.

This brings to mind another thing. Bounty Hunters have jet-packs. Shouldn't they be immune to fall damage as well? Puzzling.

Vengola
12.14.2011 , 04:55 PM | #2
I do not believe in fall damage actually. My favourite solution to this was in superhero mmos where characters lose little to no hp from falls.

Superpowered or high tech folk tend to bounce or ignore this stuff all the time.

Okay falling into a bottomless pit or a reactor should still kill you but your average jump from hill and lose half health mmo buisness is silly.

Digital-N-Plus
12.14.2011 , 05:00 PM | #3
Regarding Jedi / Sith, I'm surprised that there isn't a utility ability for "Force Jumping." I realize this could cause potential problems regarding balance, but hey, it could be neat! And as far as Bounty Hunters go, you got me. Other than not being able to indefinitely kite, I don't know what their deal is.

Twighlight
12.14.2011 , 05:04 PM | #4
Stating the obvious here, but fall damage is a common game mechanic to add variety to combat (knockbacks off ledges, etc), and for designating out of bound areas (otherwise all ledges would either need invisible walls or environment barriers).

For balance purposes, if fall damage is in for any class, then it necessarily needs to be in for all classes.

It may be a slight deviation from some interpretations of the lore, but I still think it is close enough to be fair. While some force users in the movies/KOTOR could jump pretty far, I don't recall many doing well when they 'fell.'

Just seems like it would be more trouble than its worth (and would create more problems than it fixed) to make this sort of change.
The song ends. The song begins.
{The Constant}
Skulke - Agent - Operative - Medic

Twighlight
12.14.2011 , 05:06 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Digital-N-Plus View Post
Regarding Jedi / Sith, I'm surprised that there isn't a utility ability for "Force Jumping." I realize this could cause potential problems regarding balance, but hey, it could be neat! And as far as Bounty Hunters go, you got me. Other than not being able to indefinitely kite, I don't know what their deal is.
The melee force users Knights/Mauraders have force jump abilities, if you play a force user you will see people flying all over the place. BW just decided to attach it to an attack skill instead of a free-form skill.
{The Constant}

CorvusKahn
12.14.2011 , 05:16 PM | #6
I agree that there could be some balance issues. But since both sides have two force-users, it should be balanced. Also, just a buff to partially mitigate fall damage would be enough for me.

I read a book recently. Star Wars The Old Republic: Deceived. It was actually written for/in conjunction with the game. (Cool stuff with Darth Malgus in it.) During the book two people, a Jedi and Smuggler, are shot down over Coruscant. They escape by jumping from the ship. The Jedi uses her abilities to actually absorb the impact of falling. It was extremely difficult for her (from that height it's understandable) but she was able to do so. She didn't jump, she fell.

I know that this is just fiction, but so is the game eh? I don't see any problem with adding a small buff to mitigate falling damage for force-users.

Twighlight
12.14.2011 , 06:31 PM | #7
That's cool, I didn't doubt that there was some lore behind what you were saying, and I can totally see where you're coming from. For a single player game, I would totally support it.
{The Constant}

Zazenn
12.14.2011 , 07:02 PM | #8
I disagree w/ the philosophy of if one class takes falling damage they all have to. There are games where certain classes and even races can level a skill to prevent this, or have a mechanic to completely prevent it, and others can do nothing of the sort. Imho its a lore thing and I'm totally on board w/ OP, force users and BH's could definitely have a trait related to this.

darthtrunkmonkey
12.14.2011 , 07:40 PM | #9
Frankly in games that have falling damage the mechanic gets abused and that's where the problems begin. Champions online is notorious for there lack of caring about this mechanic. City of heroes has falling damage but mostly not from combat since nothing can knock you up high enough or far enough(situations like being on a rooftop etc, are exceptions).

Really though where in the movies did we see Jedi falling and like die from it? Hell obi survived that massive fall...i mean gimme a break come on now. That should say it all really.

Strah
12.14.2011 , 07:48 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by CorvusKahn View Post
I agree that there could be some balance issues. But since both sides have two force-users, it should be balanced. Also, just a buff to partially mitigate fall damage would be enough for me.

I read a book recently. Star Wars The Old Republic: Deceived. It was actually written for/in conjunction with the game. (Cool stuff with Darth Malgus in it.) During the book two people, a Jedi and Smuggler, are shot down over Coruscant. They escape by jumping from the ship. The Jedi uses her abilities to actually absorb the impact of falling. It was extremely difficult for her (from that height it's understandable) but she was able to do so. She didn't jump, she fell.

I know that this is just fiction, but so is the game eh? I don't see any problem with adding a small buff to mitigate falling damage for force-users.
What happened to the poor smuggler then?